Traps-building problems

captainrads

Reaction score
EDIT: Ok, I've found the problem: only mechanical ground units will be built, but this gives them the structure classification, meaning they can be attacked by all units. I want them to only be attackable by units that can target trees or a similar classification.

Ok, now I've got another problem...I'm trying to have a builder that can build traps, which are walkable units that do certain things when units walk over them. Their abilities seem to work, the only problem is that the trap itself won't build. It will start to build but stop immediately. It seems like I could use the undead summoning to build it, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

simonake

Reaction score
It did me the same thing one. Did you remove from your builder the ability Repair?

If yes, you've got your problem.

captainrads

Reaction score
No, it still has repair...does it have to be activated? Or can walkable structures not be built?

simonake

Reaction score
Actually i tought it was that, no it dont't need to be actived. What are the "Unit class" of you batiment?

If it still dont work, take a "tower" set collizion size to 0.00 and change it look-like for circle of power and add it you skills. This should work either

Ps: Remove shadow of your tower.

captainrads

Reaction score
I used a scout tower and changed the model file to a disease cloud and unit class to "walkable". I'm not sure about the collision size but I might have left it 72...would that matter? This seems like a pathing problem, not a collision size problem.

Naga'sShadow

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
If it starts to build but progress stops immediately, like at 2% or so that means that the builder needs to continue building it. I've only seen this problem with the human builder as has to repair it to full build. Is it possible that your builder doesn't have repair, note that only the human repair will work. The orc version looks the same but won't work.

Whether the tower is build able or not should make no difference. You could make a different builder based off another races builder, the undead one doesn't need to stick around after starting construction but the orc and night elf ones would enter the structure their making. An easy test to see if its your builder that's acting up is to give it a normal building to make and see if it can build that.

captainrads

Reaction score
The builder is a blood elf engineer, so I think its got human building and human repair. It can build other structures like towers and walls, but it can't build the walkable structure.

ShadowInTheD

Reaction score
If your builder summons building, (The builder makes the blueprints, and can walk away, but the building will build at a constant speed) and the trap requires "manual" building (the builder has to continue building until the end), then you need to change one or the other.

captainrads

Reaction score
So basically I need undead summoning? I guess it would work but it just seems odd that I can't build a structure because its walkable(or if there's some other reason I don't know about). Plus, aesthetically it would look odd that a blood elf summons buildings. Using an Acolyte can't happen, I'm already using it for something else.

ShadowInTheD

Reaction score
I didn't say you needed summoning, I don't know your map >.>.

But what I do know is that when you create the building, it stops immediately. The only cause I can think of is your builder is trying to summon, but the building isn't summonable.

EDIT: You can reuse units...

captainrads

Reaction score
Not sure why it would try to summon...the only thing different about the trap is that its classified as walkable. It's based off a scout tower and the only thing I changed was the model file to a disease cloud and the pathing to ground-walkable, plus the unit classification. I think the unit pathing was set to barracks too.

takethat

Reaction score
barrack pathing doesnt let unit walk over it, you should use circle of power pathing,

you try to copy the unit and slowly change back the value to default to see which value may cause the stop building problem.

captainrads

Reaction score
I tried circle of power pathing(medium at least) and it still caused problems...I'm not at my home computer right now but I guess I'll have to do the tedious thing if nobody knows what the problem is.

TheSpoon

Reaction score
Manually order your builder to repair the semi-built building.

It will probably say 'unable to target organic units' or something.
If it says this, then you need to change something in the object editor

For each trap in the object editor, change it to say:
Stats - Unit Classification: Mechanical

The problem is that repair normally only targets mechanical units (structures and seige units). You will have based your unit on a footman or something, which isn't mechanical.

captainrads

Reaction score
Manually order your builder to repair the semi-built building.

It will probably say 'unable to target organic units' or something.
If it says this, then you need to change something in the object editor

For each trap in the object editor, change it to say:
Stats - Unit Classification: Mechanical

The problem is that repair normally only targets mechanical units (structures and seige units). You will have based your unit on a footman or something, which isn't mechanical.
Ohhhhhh! It's not mechanical! That must be it! I'll try fixing it when I get home, thanks man, +rep.

captainrads

Reaction score
...bad news, mechanical wasn't the problem. I've reset the unit back to default and I'm gonna have to try to change the stats one at a time...unless someone else has any idea of what the problem might be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.