Trigger operation limits?

thorhunter

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I recently had issue with trigger which wouldn't finish, it just stopped somewhere in the middle.

Perhaps the reason were 4 loops inside each other which caused the trigger to stop running. The loop integers vary, so I could say the number of 'if' statements (only arithmetic and string comparitions) would be like this:

12*(25-30)*(5-16)*(1-52), tho the 5-16 border is 5 most of the time, loop reached 52 border half of the time and 25 was constant, so:
12*(25)*(~5-6)*(~42) is ~75600 checks.
I noticed my trigger stops when first loop reaches 12 and second loop reaches 10, so
75600 - 1920 = ~73500 checks

I managed to reduce fourth loop average to about 26, so the number of checks is about 37000 and the trigger finishes all actions properly, tho I'm afraid I will need to increase that number someday.

Does anyone know details about what causes the trigger to stop working at some point?

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
You are hitting the op-limit (it probably stands for operation limit) for that trigger.

You can't execute infinite(a lot) amount of operations in just a single "thread/trigger action", because the game will "think" it's trapped in an infinite loop and it will instead of wasting processor time it will just crash/stop/ this thread.

You will have to reduce your calculations or execute them in more then one thread.

You can use the void ExecuteFunc(string function_name) function to start a new thread and to execute functions defined below the calling function.

thorhunter

Reaction score
I noticed I failed my math tho.

Do you happen to know what is the operation limit then?

Sgqvur

Reaction score
Well I don't but after some tests:

JASS:

function Trig_Untitled_Trigger_001_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    loop
        set udg_Oplimit = udg_Oplimit + 1
        exitwhen false
    endloop
endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_Untitled_Trigger_001 takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_Untitled_Trigger_001 = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerRegisterPlayerEventEndCinematic( gg_trg_Untitled_Trigger_001, Player(0) )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_Untitled_Trigger_001, function Trig_Untitled_Trigger_001_Actions )
endfunction

[gui]
Untitled Trigger 002
Events
Player - Player 1 (Red) Presses the Left Arrow key
Conditions
Actions
Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String(Oplimit))
[/gui]

The udg_Oplimit var reaches 33 333 (rofl value) but I am not sure if this is system specific(my machine is quite old).

If we add for example to the above loop a call DoNothing() call the udg_Oplimit reaches only 25 000.

Sgqvur

Reaction score
Sorry for double post but I am curious.

@Solmyr
>In WC3, each instance of the virtual machine (new one on event, TriggerExecute(), TriggerEvaluate(), ExecuteFunc() and TriggerSleepAction()) has a limit of 300000 operation at continuous execution, at which point the VM returns.

I don't get it then why does this:
JASS:

loop
        exitwhen false
    endloop

Goes only to 33 333 istead of 100 000 I see only 3 operations (addition, assignment and exitwhen false thingy)

Edit: It seams I am missing some 6 more operations (300 000 / 9 = 33 333.3333(3))

thorhunter

Reaction score
Thanks for help, I think I'll be able to solve the problem since I know where the issue lies.

Solmyr

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
JASS:
loop
/*  Nothing */

/*  1. Look up udg_Oplimit
      2. Push
      3. Literal 1
      4. Push
      5. Addition
      6. Set udg_Oplimit */

exitwhen false
  /*  7. Comparison
      8. Conditional jump */

endloop
/*  9. Jump */

This should be it. It may not be 100% correct as I don't have an old version of WC3 to use war3err. Well, even if I did, I'm quite unlucky and couldn't get it to work last time I tried. :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.