Trouble with several variables

Nei

Reaction score
First, an unrelated question, why do some fields appear purple in the Trigger Editor?

Second, I'm having trouble with two variables.
One is a region, but when I try to use it in the "Unit Enters a Region" trigger condition, the variables field is blank. It appears everywhere else I try to use it, why not here?
The other is a unit group. I have triggers to add units to the group, but they never work. The only way I can fill it is if I set it to a default value. How are you supposed to do this?

I attached the map I'm working on if you need to see exactly what my triggers are.

Attachments

• map.zip
    28.8 KB · Views: 227

Artificial

Without Intelligence
Reaction score
> why do some fields appear purple in the Trigger Editor?
You could go to Preferences (ctrl + alt + shift + p) -> Colors and tick the box that says "Display Colored Text In List". Then just scroll down to the Trigger Editor section and see which line matches the color you are talking about, and you should see what it means. To me it looks like Trigger Editor - Parameter - Disabled is the only purpleish one.

> One is a region, but when I try to use it in the "Unit Enters a Region" trigger condition, the variables field is blank. It appears everywhere else I try to use it, why not here?
The variables used in events have to be constants. If non-constants would be allowed, they would most likely not be initialized when the event is applied, making the event something you didn't want it to be. And that'd make lots of people wonder why their code doesn't work, like happened in WC3.

> The other is a unit group. I have triggers to add units to the group, but they never work. The only way I can fill it is if I set it to a default value. How are you supposed to do this?
Dunno what you're talking about. I tested you map and set the Hyper Zergling Group to an empty group. Init added the unit to the group successfully and the unit's name was displayed in the debug in Periodic Region. When I disabled Init, the unit's name wasn't displayed. So adding units to the group seems to work flawlessly.

Nei

Reaction score
>The variables used in events have to be constants. If non-constants would be allowed, they would most likely not be initialized when the event is applied, making the event something you didn't want it to be. And that'd make lots of people wonder why their code doesn't work, like happened in WC3.

Okay, the idea for that trigger was I'd have a group of zerglings that were meant to be part of a collective group. If any one got too far away from the center of the group, I'd kill it. Do you have any ideas of a good way to do this?
I wanted to do "Unit leaves region (Circle (Center of unit group), 5)". I'd probably set a region variable to (Circle....) first, and then reference that variable, but you're saying that's not possible.

My other though was to just have a periodic event checking the units in the region, but that won't work either as I'll explain below.

>Dunno what you're talking about. I tested you map and set the Hyper Zergling Group to an empty group. Init added the unit to the group successfully and the unit's name was displayed in the debug in Periodic Region. When I disabled Init, the unit's name wasn't displayed. So adding units to the group seems to work flawlessly.[/QUOTE]

You were using my own triggers, right? They still don't work for me, I'll chalk that one up to a bug.
This is huge to me, because it means I can't use the Center of Unit Group function.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.