Tutorial: In-game minimap - close, camera, action

Dimaspy

Reaction score
In this tutorial, I'll go through how you close in your camera, and making the minimap become all black - except for a small area.
(This is a basic tutorial for beginners! dont comment about being too easy!)

If you ever have played a game called pyramid escape, you'll recognize yourself in this tutorial. As in pyramid, the camera will lock into a region, and the other parts of the map will be black as the night.

1. Regions - Four parts of one map

On my map, I will first split up the map in four regions.
blackmask0.jpg

Three of them will be black (this thing is called 'Black Mask'), and the other one - on the top-right side - will be visible at all times.

2. Checkcheckcheck - An' uncheckcheckcheck

Open up your Scenario > Map Options and uncheck 'Masked areas is partially visible', because we dont want that.
blackmask1.jpg

This is how the minimap will look if we dont do the following (in this picture I have already made the triggers.):
Check 'Use Terrain Fog' and change Z start to 1000.

3. Triggers - And.. Activate!

At least, now the black mask works. Now we just need to activate it.
Open your Trigger Editor.
Now, let's make three of the regions be black, and one which is visible at all times.
Code:
Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for Player 1 (Red) emitting Black mask across Region 000 <gen>
This will make one region be all black.
This below this text will disable the black mask for a region, which is exactly what we want:
Code:
Visibility - Create an initially Disabled visibility modifier for Player 1 (Red) emitting Black mask across Region 001 <gen>

Now, the map should looks something like this (notice that I've walked with a few units):
blackmask2.jpg

This code below will make this disabled area be visible at all times:
Code:
Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for Player 1 (Red) emitting Visibility across Region 001 <gen>

And now, to close down to a region, we use a simple trigger:
Code:
Camera - Set the camera bounds for Player 1 (Red) to Region 001 <gen>

Now, the map should look like this:
blackmask4.jpg

Okay, this was my third tutorial. Might look like a bit of a rush, but theres not much to say about all those triggers. If you can't understand it, go through it slow, and you'll understand.
Good luck!

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
BUMP

I was doing a search and ran into this, and thought it should be brought back up to the main page seeing as though there were no replies and this is pretty helpful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.