AoS Twilight Crusade

Reaction score
Oh, didn't even know we had a thread up. :p

I really like the "Twilight Crusade" name, better than another "X of the Y" map.

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
I personally like the name too, but if someone has got a better suggestion I'd be glad to hear it.

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
The name is great but I'll just suggest some names for fun :D.
Eternity's Crusade
The Darkening Hour
Eternity's Judgement
Champions of Eternity
Crusaders of Light
Hour of Warlords
Age of Champions

Anyway, I can't wait for this map to be released!

Reaction score

To show that things are actually being done, here is a scenic screenshot of the "Testing Lich" hero casting his "Banditmissile.mdl Nova".

This is a test of the projectiles system, the default preset of which:
  • Allows movement in 3 dimensions.
  • Has correct Z positioning
  • Detects terrain collision.
  • Allows user defined functionality.
  • Supports gravity and correct vertical facing of projectiles.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
"First, there were A Kingdom of Apocalypse, an AoS map by Vestras, but then Twillight Crusade came and buttfucked A Kingdom of Apocalypse totally!!"

Bright future I got... :eek:

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
"First, there were A Kingdom of Apocalypse, an AoS map by Vestras, but then Twillight Crusade came and buttfucked A Kingdom of Apocalypse totally!!"

Uhm... I guess that's supposed to be a compliment of sorts? If so... thanks(?).

Anyway, I'm looking for some spell ideas people (mainly for Herbalist, but I'm gonna do a melee hero next, preferably AGI).

Current/Intended spells for Herbalist:
Code:
Toxin Bomb (screenshot on first post): Area of effect instant damage on detonation, with subsequent DoT

Natural Remedy (can't think of much better name): Single-target healing spell, relatively low cooldown and mana cost, but not as powerful as other healing spells

(UNKNOWN) - Need an idea, preferably something passive and must be improveable in some way by Advanced Herbalism (preferably not just a boost of the current effect, but an additional, not-too-strong bonus effect)

Ultimate - Advanced Herbalism: Improves the effects of all the herbalist skills
[list=*]
[*]Toxin Bomb - Adds a stackable slow effect while units are in the cloud's AoE
[*]Natural Remedy - Not sure of exactly how it will be buffed, I was considering slight damage reduction to all damage, or moderate damage reduction VS specific damage types (such as poison)
[*]UNKNOWN - Need a spell idea first[/list]

Reaction score

Just go about your business and we'll go about ours. I don't see why there has to be a competition between the two projects.

Different maps will attract different players, anyway.

Larcenist

Reaction score
Updated main post a little, basically the Spell section. Added some info about our plans for making it even more of a strategy placing your skillpoints.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Just go about your business and we'll go about ours. I don't see why there has to be a competition between the two projects.

Different maps will attract different players, anyway.

It was for fun, and it was just to say that it looked cool.

Larcenist

Reaction score
Progress has been made, but with ups comes downs so here goes a short summary of the latest events:

• Damien reworked some parts of certain systems, making them even more useful.
  • Larcenist came up with a great spell idea involving illusions, which of course did not cope with Damien's damage detection system which forced him to rework that one.
  • Damien figured out that the current terrain is not going to work out due to limited space at the bases, resulting in shops and taverns etc not getting any space, so now WastedSavior will have to rework the whole terrain.

That's basically what's been going on lately, stay tuned for more information.

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
I don't recall the precise reason why we are re-terraining, but if it's because of space issues i don't think it'll be a problem.

I'll attach the map to this post with my thoughts on the layout of buildings.

Attachments

• AoS_Terrain.w3x
    50.9 KB · Views: 166

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a custom critical hit system for the map, and I need your thoughts on (1) what should determine the chance to score a critical, (2) what should determine the chance to block a critical, (3) how should the multiplier be calculated, and (4) do you like the idea of a custom critical hit system over normal critical hit.

(This was inspired by Titan Quest's critical damage system, just so you know)

The setup:
Normal units will have 3 abilities - one to determine physical critical hit chance, one to determine physical critical block chance and one to determine spell critical block chance (fourth may be added if units are given spells). Unit upgrades will automatically improve these.

Heroes - Physical critical hit chance will be determined by agility, physical critical block chance will be determined by strength, and spell critical hit/block chance will be determined by intelligence (do you think those associations are suitable, or should they be changed?)

How it works:
Your hero hits another hero with a melee attack. Your AGI will be divided by his/her STR. If the result is greater than 1, it will be reduced to a maximum critical chance (of, say, 20%, just to prevent you from dealing massive damage all the time). If the result is below a certain value (5% for example), it will be pushed up to 5% so at all times, you will have 5 - 20% chance of dealing a physical critical hit.

If, you are lucky and random number between 0 and 100 is below your critical chance, you will do (AGI)% bonus damage.

As for spells, single-target spells will work the same. AoE damage spells will have a separate critical calculation for each unit (so you may deal bonus damage to 2 out of 5 enemies within the AoE). DoT's will be able to proc a critical hit whenever they deal damage (critical chance will be calculated everytime damage is dealt, not at the start of the spell as that would possibly overpower it). Bonus damage for spells is (INT)% of original damage. The chance calculator will work in pretty much the same way as physical, except using INT (i.e. your INT/target's INT)

Conclusion
So, what are your thoughts on this? Do you think the association is good/bad? (i.e. STR affects physical block, AGI affects physical critical, INT affects spell block/critical). Do you think a custom critical hit system would add an incentive to build your hero in a particular way (and is that a good or a bad thing?)

Larcenist

Reaction score
After some talking we finally decided to keep the old terrain, so we're back on track again. Soon we'll have the basics up; towers, bases, unit spawns etc.

PrisonLove

Hard Realist
Reaction score
the critical hit chance thing is a great idea and i think the way you have it set up is perfect. also i absolutely love the spell synergy idea. when youre done with the map perhaps you could release tutorials on both these systems. i sure know i would like to see more of these types of things in maps.

also as a side idea, (im not sure if you came up with this already i didnt read every single post) you should do a terrain based system. like if you're behind rocks or something you take less damage from or there is a chance that ranged attacks will miss you but it doesnt affect melee attacks.

also for strategy purposes it may be a good idea to make missile type spells go off at the first thing they touch, not just the target. so like a creep or a rock or tree or something could get in the way of a firebolt for example

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
the critical hit chance thing is a great idea and i think the way you have it set up is perfect. also i absolutely love the spell synergy idea. when youre done with the map perhaps you could release tutorials on both these systems. i sure know i would like to see more of these types of things in maps.

also as a side idea, (im not sure if you came up with this already i didnt read every single post) you should do a terrain based system. like if you're behind rocks or something you take less damage from or there is a chance that ranged attacks will miss you but it doesnt affect melee attacks.

also for strategy purposes it may be a good idea to make missile type spells go off at the first thing they touch, not just the target. so like a creep or a rock or tree or something could get in the way of a firebolt for example

1) As regards releasing tutorials on the systems, that'll be TheDamien's decision since he has made all the systems so far :p

2) The projectile system caters for terrain, but normal attack projectiles interacting is normally impossible, and would possibly be laggy (due to projectile sliding). And it seems excessive for an AoS map.

3) Not sure if projectile system deals with doodads (it can deal with units, but that's all that I know of)

Also, I was thinking about the critical hit system, and perhaps (stat)/(stat) is too weak since you can have maximum critical chance for a large amount of the time (if target had 50str, you had 40agi, that would still result in a value above the max chance). Was thinking about (damage source stat - target stat)/100, and if (damage source stat - target stat) < (min chance), it will be pushed up to the minimum chance

X

xXLordRobiXx

I must say the terrain suxx =/. Also your ideas are very good, I was thinking also about that.

Larcenist

Reaction score
Major shameless bump.

This is to let everyone know that the project did not die and that it's still in development. Many systems are done or close to and so is a few heroes:

Damage Detection: Works for now, might be remade some time before beta.
Creep Spawning: Also in a working stage which might be remade.
Creep cycling (between lanes): Works as intended and is in finished stage.
Projectile system: Also in a working stage (probably finished).
As for the rest of the intended systems, they will be made.

Main post is also updated with a few new screenshots of new heroes.

New feature:

Customizable items:

Each hero can be provided with (currently) 3 basic items: Boots, Armor and a weapon (melee, bow or staff). Each of these basic items can access between 1 and 4 levels of modification, each level with 3 different mods. You may choose 1 out of 3 mods of each level and add to your item (example: level 1 mod for boots is either +6 str/agi or int). This is so that the item selection shouldn't feel as limited as most do.

Edit: If a mod sees this would you be kind enough to change the title to "[AoS] Twilight Crusade" since I believe the name will stay.

PrisonLove

Hard Realist
Reaction score
I'm very much looking forward to this map being completed. I just hope that with all the terraining and custom spells, the map size won't be too big, or lag on battle.net.

Larcenist

Reaction score
It's currently around 250-300 kb of size, and that's with near-complete terrain, most systems and 5 heroes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.