Two questions about battle mechanics.

Ice Bane

Reaction score
1. Is damaged based on dices or do they have a constant value?
2. How works armor and how many armor types are there?

Best Regards, Ice_bane

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Its essentialy the same as Starcraft 1,2 and Warcraft i believe.
The damage the unit does is based on dice, but in the actual game its a fixed range.
For example, the marine will do 4-8, because his dice are 4d2 in the games database.
For armor, armor blocks a percentage of an attacking units damage. Some armor types are less effective, and more effective against certain attacks.
Not being in the beta, i dont know how many armor types there are, but im guessing 3 (Ground,Air and Vehicle). Of course they'll have different names and icons to suit the race unit, i dont know for sure.

Of course i could be quite clearly wrong and i should be flown to the moon with no spacesuit, but what the hey; i tried :D

Ice Bane

Reaction score
Its essentialy the same as Starcraft 1,2 and Warcraft i believe.
The damage the unit does is based on dice, but in the actual game its a fixed range.
For example, the marine will do 4-8, because his dice are 4d2 in the games database.
For armor, armor blocks a percentage of an attacking units damage. Some armor types are less effective, and more effective against certain attacks.
Not being in the beta, i dont know how many armor types there are, but im guessing 3 (Ground,Air and Vehicle). Of course they'll have different names and icons to suit the race unit, i dont know for sure.

Of course i could be quite clearly wrong and i should be flown to the moon with no spacesuit, but what the hey; i tried :D

Thank you for answering, are you sure about the dices? Cause I remember that in SC1 each unit did a certain amount of damage per hit.

Furthermore the armor is seemingly the same as before, I hope you will be able to add additional armor types when creating custom maps, it would be useful.

Arkless

Reaction score
There seem to be no dice, I just watched a video where a single marine was hitting some building and constantly delt 5 dmg (no more n no less).

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Hmm, im most likely thinking of warcraft then, as their damage was a range.

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
1. The damage is a constant. There are 3 categories that influence the attack though.
Some units do +(#here) to different types. Also, some enemies hit twice like the zealot.
So it would say something like this (ITS AN EXAMPLE)
Psi Blades
Damage: 8
Attacks: 2
Range: Melee
Targets: Ground

Some other units like the hydra: +6 vs Armored

2. There are about 5 I think.
Something like: Ground,Air,Light,Armored.

Arkless

Reaction score
Well, all unit in sc2 got some classifications.
Most of the units are classified as "light" or "armored", none got both and some got none.
All classifications:
Light-Armored-Mechanical-Biological-Psionic-Structure-Massive

Air, Ground and Detector are NOT in the classification list.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
cmon don't tell me armor reduces based on % oO That would be the biggest flaw I've seen so far in scII (and the only one...lol!)

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Why?

It's way easier to balance that way.

I tend to disagree. It's way easier to blend everything into a huge mess that way, afaict.
You see, hard point armor means increasing the impact of attack-speed.
10 dps does then no longer equal 10 dps - it depends on how the damage is dealt.
Also, increasing armor becomes more and more tactical - if the other player sets on mass zerglings, upgrade armor! If he goes for ultralisks (or w/e), don't!

I also think it's much easier to calculate damage dealt that way...

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
SC2 handles armor the same way SC1 does: Every armor point reduces incoming damage by 1, down to a minimum of 1 (but the devs said you could change that to %-based reduction in the Galaxy Editor).

It can significantly impact damage ratios, as SerraAvenger said.

A good example is the Thor. It has an anti-air attack that fires 4 rockets with 10 damage each (total of 40 damage). If you're attacking a air unit with an armor rating of 2 you will only deal 4x8 damage (32).
However, same goes for attack upgrades.

Just like in SC1 it's important not to get outrun in terms of armor/damage upgrades as it shifts army balance enormously. It might be less easier to balance but it adds a huge chunk of tactical thinking to the game.

Damge works just like PureOwnage described.

themean

Reaction score
omg that is not armor types
unit can be some of this types ([light/armored/nothing of these],biological,mechanical,structure,psyonic and massive)
this is like in warcraft 3 some unit can be ancient or undead or something else
this type determined bonus dmg from some units
in editor you can edit your own armor type

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.