Unit not receiving buffs from spell?

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Okay I feel stupid for making a topic about this, especially since I have quite a few topics on the board now (Apologies), but this is bugging me and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have a spell based on Channel that is set to give 2 custom buffs. I cast the spell, and the unit receives no buffs. The spell duration is on 30 seconds.

What am I missing? Anything else you need to know about the spell/buffs?

Thanks!

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Oh...weak.

Is it possible to give buffs through triggers? Couldn't find an action for that earlier, but is there a way?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh...weak.

Is it possible to give buffs through triggers? Couldn't find an action for that earlier, but is there a way?

no. you have either to make a custom aura with no effect but a buff on self, then give that aura via a trigger to a unit or you have to use a dummy ability which is giving a buff.

Stringel

Reaction score
Thanks...how do I do this? I'm on the Unit - Add Ability action, but I'm stuck here.

Create a custom aura with the buff of your choise that only affects the caster or what not. Dont forget to remove the ability after the duration / when spell is canceled

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
The ability itself determines how the buff data is handled. Even if you fill in buff IDs in the field, the ability will only use those IDs if it's coded to do so. For instance, Critical Strike doesn't use a buff ID while Slow Poison uses three different IDs. Furthermore, which buff ID Slow Poison uses is determined by the stacking flags in the data fields and the order of the buff IDs.

It's also important to know how buffs stack. Buffs from cast spells like Inner Fire doesn't stack with custom versions using different IDs, meaning you can't have multiple different Inner Fire buffs active at the same time, so any custom version of Inner Fire will overwrite the previous Inner Fire spell base buff on the unit. For this reason, you need to strongly consider what and how you are using buffs for as your resources in this department are limited to what that already exists in the game.

Tip: If you have two different Roar spells on the same player force they will interfere with each other. However, if you have them on different player forces you can still have different versions of Roar.

Auras are the only exception to this rule. If you have a Trueshot Aura on one unit and a custom Trueshot Aura with a different buff ID on another unit, the units affected will receieve both buffs and bonuses. Hidden spell books are therefore the best way to apply custom buffs to a unit. This method is however limited as auras don't work with transformation skills, meaning that if your unit transforms (such as Metamorphosis) and has an aura-type skill, the aura cannot affect the unit during the transformation.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
you dont need hidden spellbooks if you use tornado slow aura, its invisible by default. just a tip.

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...you guys are so good at explaining stuff...I really appreciate it.

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Alright so the aura's working...but I have another problem. I have the aura set to give 2 buffs, but it only gives the first one. How do I make it give both? Both are necessary.

EDIT: Also, I have the aura set to a duration of 30 seconds but it's still there after 30 seconds. I need the buff to be wiped out after the 30 seconds. Is there a way to do this in the object editor? Triggering it presents a problem because if the spell is casted again, the buff could be removed earlier than it should.

canons200

Reaction score
I have the aura set to a duration of 30 seconds

if you set the duration to 30 seconds, it mean the buff will last for 30 seconds, so the solution is to set your buff to 1 seconds or smaller value.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
if you set the duration to 30 seconds, it mean the buff will last for 30 seconds, so the solution is to set your buff to 1 seconds or smaller value.

you cannot set duration for auras. that field does nothing at all.
to remove the buff given by the aura you have to remove the aura itself, this can only be done via triggers.

Seprest

Reaction score
Make a trigger to give the buff to any units in range of the hero, and another trigger to remove that buff from any unit not in range of units with your aura (you may have to run through all units on the map as a unit group to check for the aura).

I think that's how I would do it if I wanted an aura to give 2 buffs, but I have never tried that before, so maybe there is a way to do it in the object editor and you just made a mistake(but what do I know?:D

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Make a trigger to give the buff to any units in range of the hero, and another trigger to remove that buff from any unit not in range of units with your aura (you may have to run through all units on the map as a unit group to check for the aura).

I think that's how I would do it if I wanted an aura to give 2 buffs, but I have never tried that before, so maybe there is a way to do it in the object editor and you just made a mistake(but what do I know?:D

sorry mate but i guess you missed the point, if you read this thread from the top to the bottom you will notice that he does not want to make a custom aura but to give a buff to a unit for 30 seconds, actually he is trying to give 2 buffs by adding a custom aura with no effect to the unit.

Ontopic: you simply have to make another version of the custom aura with the second buff, then add both.

Seprest

Reaction score
"no. you have either to make a custom aura with no effect but a buff on self, then give that aura via a trigger to a unit or you have to use a dummy ability which is giving a buff. "

So can't he then do whatever with a trigger trigger to get the buff the hero has onto the target of a spell (he was trying to use channel before). So the aura he has on himself that gives the buffs he wants can be transfered onto another unit?

Like a unit begins effect of an ability, ability = myAbility, give the buff the hero has to the target of ability with 30 second duration. \
Doesn't that help with:
"I have the aura set to give 2 buffs, but it only gives the first one. How do I make it give both? Both are necessary."

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
@Seprest: there is no action that adds a buff to a unit.

@aura suggestions: keep in mind that auras last for a few seconds after they are removed. I would suggest instead that you have a dummy unit created that casts a custom cripple-type spell to apply the buff, rather than using an aura. This way you don't need to worry about removing the aura later on either. Also it allows the buff to be removed via Purge, Anti-magic shell, etc.

@Accname: setting the duration on an aura will mean that a unit will only be affected by the aura for X seconds, before it needs to be reapplied. So if my duration is 10 sec, and a unit comes in range of the aura, that unit will have the aura buff for 10 sec. After that, it needs to leave the aura, then re-enter it in order to get the buff again.

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for your continued help. I believe I'm getting closer, but ugh, it's still a pita.

I think I may take Curo's advice and remake it using a dummy unit, because it should be purge-able, and it would be nice it if were removed when I told it to. Won't doing this also make it so that the "duration" field actually works, and removes the buff when it expires?

These couple of triggers are starting to look very ugly >.< If the duration field worked, I wouldn't need all of this crap, haha.

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
EDIT: Nevermind. Had a problem here, but it was a stupid object editor issue. Fixed it :) Thanks again guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.