unit voices

G

i remember in warcraft 2 there was an editor that would allow you to change the unit voices, as in, you could use any sound file for the assigned unit command (unit selected, warcry, unit annoyed1, unit annoyed2, etc.) is there a way to do that with the world editor?(besides using the unit whose voice you want as the base unit).

S

Swilo

I know there's a way to tell the editor what unit gets what unit's voice set, but I haven't seen or found anything about editing specific sounds (like the individual buttons).
Maybe there's a trigger you could set up that says "When Player <whoever> uses command attack on unit <whatever>, play <whatever> sound" or something.

(I don't remember that war2 editor, either. Unless it was only for the computer tat made the changes. War2 didn't support anything like that in the map files themselves)

B

BKnight760

Ha!

Alright, that was incredibally too easy, guys. We can do better on questions than this! Alright, so you load up the editor, and then under module, you select, "Sound Editor." Note: You must have a current map loaded and are working on to use the sound editor. It apparently stores the sound info in the map... which is kinda dumb in my opinion. However, one of the buttons or right click options is to "import external sound" or "use internal sound." So, either you can re-assign the voices, or you can create your own and import them if you wish.
However, I did realize a small problem with this idea. If you create your own sounds and use them, they may only work on your own computer, because I do not think that it actually saves the .wav into the map file. The map would have to be huge file size and would be a pain for anyone else to download. So, I warn you of that. Someone try it and let us know what happens for others who dl the map over bnet. (I can't... I cant host games, I've got a firewall)

S

Swilo

War3 supports MP3 format sound files, so you could compress a 5 second voice sample into about 100k of space.

B

BKnight760

Still...

Still, that makes map files real big, real fast... if it includes one or more custom sound...

S

Seb Boss

It does include the imported sounds in a map.

:D I remember my first map. It took about a minute each time i saved :eek: .
Then, i looked to the map on my computer: it was about 40 MB in size :eek: :eek:
I finaly realized i imported a hole list of songs :p (stupid, stupid, stupid)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.