Unity Networking

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
I've never used Unity before but I'm on my internship now and am required to learn Unity and basic networking with it. Thing is, I never learned network programming either.

I've been spamming documentation like crazy for the past 3hours and almost have it done..
But there's a problem.

It's probably easier to show it than to explain it, so, I've uploaded the Unity scene file.
-------

Anyways, here's a description of my problem:
I have a client and a server.
The server hosts a "game" and a cube, A, is created.
The client joins the "game" and another cube, B, is created.

When the server moves cube A (with the up key), the change is reflected on the client's screen.
When the client moves cube B, the change is NOT reflected on the server's screen.

So..
I assume that the communication seems to only go one way but I don't know why.
I've tried both observing the Transform component and observing a Script which implements OnSerializeNetworkView() with no luck.

Anyone here know what I'm doing wrong?
Oh, and try to ignore the bad copy-pasta' code; it's a throwaway prototype =x
---------

Actually, do care about the bad code. I don't know how this networking stuff works and that's why my code is horrible =/
I'd like to know a better way to do this.

Attachments

• Assets.zip
    9.5 KB · Views: 249

camelCase

Reaction score
Oh, nevermind; I went to bed, woke up and got it working =)

Attachments

• Assets.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 260

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Oh, nevermind; I went to bed, woke up and got it working =)
Good!

From a design standpoint, I'd highly suggest designing a game server outside of Unity.

camelCase

Reaction score
Oh, the current project is a two player tablet game, so I don't think I can have a server outside Unity.. Right? =x

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Oh, the current project is a two player tablet game, so I don't think I can have a server outside Unity.. Right? =x
The game would be lost if the host crashes, even in a two-player game! By having a server handle a 2-player game, if one game client crashes, the game will not be lost! The server could allow re-connecting and continuing of the game.

It might be unnecessary for whatever little project you are working on, but it's a good practice to do if you're planning on showing it off to others & plan to discuss it to others from a technical standpoint.

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
1. Of course you can have a server outside of Unity. It might just not be very easy :p Especially if you use Unity for the clients.

2. The game isn't necessarily lost when the host crashes/leaves the game. Look at Warcraft 3. The games are hosted by a player, if the host leaves/crashes then the game attempts to find another player suited for hosting and offloads it onto him. It doesn't always work that well, but I think that's because of Wc3, not because of the system itself.

Imo that's actually a very damn clever way of solving the problem. You still have player-hosted games (for what it's worth) but you get rid of the "omgthehostcrashedandnowourgameisgone" problem.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
2. The game isn't necessarily lost when the host crashes/leaves the game. Look at Warcraft 3. The games are hosted by a player, if the host leaves/crashes then the game attempts to find another player suited for hosting and offloads it onto him. It doesn't always work that well, but I think that's because of Wc3, not because of the system itself.

Imo that's actually a very damn clever way of solving the problem. You still have player-hosted games (for what it's worth) but you get rid of the "omgthehostcrashedandnowourgameisgone" problem.
While such a system would be nice & innovative to create (albeit a lil complex), its fatal flaw is still relying on an average internet connection to host something that's to be enjoyed by many.

I was merely discussing what he has made thus far, and was giving suggestions as to where to explore if one was to continue looking into multiplayer gaming.

camelCase

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I'll discuss it with the other programmers in my team ^^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.