World Unlicensed World of Warcraft theme park opens in China

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
joyland-water-ride.jpg

World Joyland hungers.

If you love Chinese knock-offs -- and I know you do -- you'll love this bit of news: World Joyland, the famed and unlicensed World of Warcraft theme park in Changzhou, China, is now open for business. The people at Shanghaiist took a tour of the place, taking myriad pictures of their experience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This makes me angry. >.<

Last edited by a moderator:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
An Unofficial World Of Warcraft Theme Park Exists In China

There's a saying that the only real things in China are the fakes. That fact is becoming more and more apparent as time goes by -- high volume knockoff malls run rampant throughout most of the major cities, and a faux-Apple store made big headlines by becoming one of the most elaborate piracy schemes in the world.

It isn't the most elaborate, though. At least, not anymore. A gigantic DisneyWorld-esque theme park has sprouted up in China's eastern city, Changzhou. It is called Joyland, and its attractions bear a striking resemblance to a certain beloved video game franchise we all know of, some extremely intimately. It has no copyrights, no permission from Blizzard, and they may actually get away with it.

Doing business in China has long been a big challenge for international companies, particularly those in the digital realm. Copyright protection there is shoddy at best, and the Chinese government guards its nationals very closely, particularly when under investigation by large Western corporations. But this example is unique -- there's a section of Joyland dedicated to World of Warcraft. It is enormous, with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of unofficial World of Warcraft merchandise, being hocked to the masses as real, with no official Blizzard endorsement.

It might be too big to cover up. Activision Blizzard stands to be taken advantage of in a large way, and they're too protective to let this occur without putting up a considerable fight. They have the money, too, to level litigation against the proprietors of Joyland, despite the Chinese government being able to play favorites, and likely doing so. Running a booth in a mall is one thing, but organizing a potentially multimillion dollar business on the basis of another country might be damn near impossible.

Read more about it here.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
I am continuously shocked by the amount and level of things the Chinese can pirate =/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.