Unlimited Build Range

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
Problem status: SOLVED

In the map I am currently making, you will have a game menu accessable when you press Esc. In the game menu, you will have a "Build" option which allows you to build a structure in any location you have Line of Sight to.

Now, at first I thought about making all the structures a "Built Tiny..." unit ability, however, according to Acehart:
On a related note, there may well be several "build tiny" abilities in the Object Editor, but there really is only one such ability...
It works to have it multiple times on items, but it just doesn't work more than once as unit ability.

So, is there any way to increase the build range so that it is unlimited?

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
Why dont you keep them as items with unlimited charges?

Else you can use a point target and create a (Whatever you want to be build) at target location

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
I do believe there is something in Gameplay Constants that will effect your building range. I seem to recall something also in object editor. Perhaps you'd like to check out the Builder abilities and look at casting range?

Sorry. I'm unable to check right now as I'm on Linux.

SarChasm

Reaction score
I don't get it when people just say "trigger it." Isn't the person asking the question usually asking "how do I trigger (this)?"

Anyway, this is a really roundabout way of doing it but perhaps you could:
1. User accesses the menu.
2. User requests a structure be built at a certain location.
3. Make trigger that creates a builder at specified location, and builds building there.
4. Destroy builder.
Something tells me that step 3 won't work though. I might try it out later.

Alternatively, you could make all of your buildings ancients, (I think this causes the builder to die after building, like night elf buildings) and have the menu create a one-shot builder at the specified location. If you remove the builder's ability to move, it should be within range to build the desired building.

Or lastly, make an invulnerable dummy unit do all the building.

Do you mind me asking how your menu is set up? Is it a dialog box or something?

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
You could make a dummy that builds the buildings, move the dummy instantly to wherever you want to build. Or you could use build tiny and just add another build tiny every time it is used. (Not sure if that would work though, I have never used build tiny before)

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
chovynz said:
I do believe there is something in Gameplay Constants that will effect your building range
I will have a look and see if I can find anything there...
EDIT: Didn't find anything.

chovynz said:
Perhaps you'd like to check out the Builder abilities and look at casting range?
From what I know, there is no "Build" ability as such. It changes according the the race of the unit that can build. For example, I changed a Peon into the Undead race and the Build icon changed, and the Peon started summoning instead of it usual build method. I tried to change the range of the unit, but that didn't work.
EDIT: Attempted to change repair to see if it would affect build range, but it doesn't work.

SarChasm said:
Do you mind me asking how your menu is set up? Is it a dialog box or something?

The Game Menu is a unit that cannot move or attack. This unit is positioned outside of the camera boundary so you are unable to centre your camera on this unit.

In my map HACKS!, certain players will gain certain abilities when they get their hack. These abilities will be found in the Game Menu.

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chovynz
Perhaps you'd like to check out the Builder abilities and look at casting range?

Originallu Posted by Zurtrogx
From what I know, there is no "Build" ability as such. It changes according the the race of the unit that can build. For example, I changed a Peon into the Undead race and the Build icon changed, and the Peon started summoning instead of it usual build method. I tried to change the range of the unit, but that didn't work.

The Repair Ability's range can be changed

chovynz

Reaction score
Also, Repair is a different ability to Build. Different things. Changing one wont effect the other.

I can't right now but I'll have a look when I can. I'm sure its something ridiculously easy.

chovynz

Reaction score
Once again I show my naivete. And once again I say something that is not correct. And yet once again bOb666777 shows that he does know what he is talking about!! :D

It's not as simple as I first thought (or thought I remembered). I suggest you do things based on what bOb666777, SarChasm, Genkora have suggested.

Repair does indeed "construct" things, BUT only once they are built. However that could interfere if you want a repair ability that costs resources.

I'll do some tests and come back with a more clear answer.

Thoughts for you:
Does your map need instant build or some building time?
Does your buildings need to have workers that build it, or can they be built without some "builders" doing anything to them? (I'm guessing your designing towards no builder.)
Does your map need a repair ability? Does the repair need to cost or can repair be free? Again, does the repair worker need to go to teh building to repair it?
Do you mind if the buildings are "summoned" or not? As far as I know, summoned buildings dont need a worker to keep working on them. Whereas Orc/Human needs builders, undead summons, and elf transforms etc.

darkwulfv said:
Builders/Buildings
Builders/Buildings
Builders (and some abilities affecting Buildings) have some pretty weird things associated with them as well.
<table>
Human Build[c]Will only work on Buildings classified as the human race. (The same might apply to the other repairs)
[r]Racial Builds[c]Each "Build" (Undead, Orc, Human, Naga, Night Elf, Neutral) will only work on a unit of that race. Each ability also has extra effects:
  • Undead build summons the buildings
  • Orc build garrisons the worker (worker cannot be hurt unless building dies during construction)
  • Human build allows power-building (multiple workers)
  • Naga build is the same as Orc build
  • Night Elf build kills the worker if the building is classified as "Ancient"
  • Neutral build doesn't seem to be anything special.
</table>

PitzerMike said:
AIbf (Build Tiny Farm): Allows units to build a certain building. The unit doesn't need a repair ability or whatsoever. You can also set the time it takes to build the structure on the ability.

PitzerMike said:
Hidden order # 851994 (buildmenu): This is an order with no target that opens up the build menu of a unit that can build structures.

SarChasm

Reaction score
Cast range of WHAT though? -.-
It would help to read a bit if the problem's been going on for this long unsolved. If the answer were as simple as that, all this discussion wouldn't be necessary.

Is it ABSOLUTELY necessary to have your build system like this? It seems like a lot of trouble when you could just have an invulnerable builder with a blink ability.

I've been poking around the trigger editor, looking at the available actions and conditions, and it doesn't seem like this is possible without some heavy custom scripting or something. I'm not familiar with that sort of thing at all. Unless there's a magical gameplay constant you can change (I've looked at the entire list, doesn't look like it), it seems like you're going to have to find an alternative solution unfortunately.

Legacyspy

Reaction score
Problem status: UNSOLVED
In the map I am currently making, you will have a game menu accessable when you press Esc. In the game menu, you will have a "Build" option which allows you to build a structure in any location you have Line of Sight to.

Make a build tiny for each structure.
When a player selects which structure they want/where they want it through w/e method you choose create a dummy caster at that point, add the appropriate build tiny and order it to use it at the point.

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
chovynz said:
Does your map need instant build or some building time?
There will be building time.

chovynz said:
Does your buildings need to have workers that build it, or can they be built without some "builders" doing anything to them? (I'm guessing your designing towards no builder.)
Correct - no builders.

chovynz said:
Does your map need a repair ability? Does the repair need to cost or can repair be free? Again, does the repair worker need to go to the building to repair it?
The repair ability will be found in the Game Menu. It will have unlimited range so it can target any damaged building. It will have a cost, and no "worker" would need to go to the building as the Game Menu has unlimited range.

chovynz said:
Do you mind if the buildings are "summoned" or not? As far as I know, summoned buildings dont need a worker to keep working on them. Whereas Orc/Human needs builders, undead summons, and elf transforms etc.
I would prefer if the buildings are summoned. It would make it a lot better considering there will be no workers.

chovynz

Reaction score
Reread this thread in case someone has some solutions for you. I can see a few already that you should be able to use with your summoningTime / no builder / Repair cost criteria.

Idea off the top of my head: (There probably is an easier solution but it's not swirling in my orb at the moment.)

Your Build-Menu unit should have Dummy abilities with each structure icon in their artwork. These abilities dont actually do anything. Make them based off Channel and change their BaseID's and Order string to a different spell.

Make a dummy unit based off Acolyte. Give it locust and make it unselectable, invisible, no collision, no food.

Triggers should do:

When an ability is finished casted
condition == ability equals <specified ability>
Set <building> to <specified building>
Instantly move dummy acolyte to target of ability being cast
Order dummy acolyte to build/summon <specified building>

Concentrate on one ability and getting it working. Once you understand the concept of how to create it and where problems might occur, you can quickly make the rest of them.

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
However, if it is based off an ability you won't have that placement effect that you get when constructing a building (i.e. the green/red tiles under the building).

If I was, instead, to enable the Game Menu to build all structures, how could I make a trigger from that?

How could I detect when it is order to build a structure?
The centre point of where the structure was going to be built?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.