Upgrading Graphics for Windows 98

Volkof

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am currently creating another desktop with windows 98 as OS for testing purpose. The motherboard is VIA (pretty new for an old OS).
I tried to install most of the drivers, but the graphics driver cant be install because it is not supported by the OS.

So is there any other ways to upgarde the graphics for Win98.
Current color bit is 16. I wanted it to be 32bit. Is there any softwares still available to do this?

Thks

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
you need to give us the video card model as the very minimum.. but I wouldn't even bother doing it that way, just create a virtual machine and do it all there - who uses windows 98 anymore? if you just a machine to play around with, install linux instead of an old windows

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
you need to give us the video card model as the very minimum.. but I wouldn't even bother doing it that way, just create a virtual machine and do it all there - who uses windows 98 anymore? if you just a machine to play around with, install linux instead of an old windows

Slapshot is right, in order for us to help you with your Win 98 question we need to know what video card you have. The better option though is to run the virtual machine like slapshot said so you can reduce the hardware incompatibility level to nothing. In the virtual machine the video is emulated and you don't have the same problems as trying to just installing Win 98 on a new computer.

Volkof

Reaction score
I didnt buy any graphic card. Im just using the built in Graphics.
By the way, if I use Virtual Machine, even if the OS is 98, the graphics wont be affected?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Im just using the built in Graphics.

still can't look for drivers without the motherboard model that contains said integrated graphics

what exactly do you mean by "won't be affected"? as far as compatibility goes, no, nothing should be affected, but your virtual machine will take a performance hit because it's virtualized. That said, a modern computer virtualizing windows 98 will probably still be faster then an old computer that came with windows 98 running it natively

Volkof

Reaction score
still can't look for drivers without the motherboard model that contains said integrated graphics

what exactly do you mean by "won't be affected"? as far as compatibility goes, no, nothing should be affected, but your virtual machine will take a performance hit because it's virtualized. That said, a modern computer virtualizing windows 98 will probably still be faster then an old computer that came with windows 98 running it natively

Haha sry let me explain again.
I have the motherboard (Brand VIA) together with the CD to install the drivers. But when I tried to install the graphics driver, it says the OS Win98 is not supported.

Then now the question about the virtual machine.
Since it is virtual, it runs on the Master Desktop. Does this mean that if I install Virtual PC on WinXP (with drivers already installed), and the Virtaul OS is Win98, the VPC will run on the WinXP's drivers, so I actually dont hav to install drivers for VPC?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Then now the question about the virtual machine.
Since it is virtual, it runs on the Master Desktop. Does this mean that if I install Virtual PC on WinXP (with drivers already installed), and the Virtaul OS is Win98, the VPC will run on the WinXP's drivers, so I actually dont hav to install drivers for VPC?

im not sure I entirely follow you, but basically your "main computer" (host) will run using the regular drivers, and the virtual computer will run using generic windows 98 drivers that are being emulated by the host, so yes, you won't need to install the 98 drives for VPC

im still not sure of the motherboard, need a specific motherboard model number, but it seems unnecessary at this point if the virtualization works

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.