Uploading site with FileZilla

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
So, I'm new to the whole creating website kind of thing. I got a domain and a server (provided by GoDaddy). Now I understand in order to upload some content to my site I need to to use some kind of FTP software. FileZilla seemed good so I downloaded it. Now the tough part, using it.

I tried following this tutorial but I'm having a few problems. Firstly, how do I set the FTP settings? Also what exactly should I put in FTP User Name and FTP Password?

I think I understood the rest of the tutorial, but of course I couldn't know for sure until I actually test it, which requires the questions above to be answered.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Doesn't GoDaddy allow FTP access? Or must you add it with a FTP client?

For the FTP username and password, I suggest having something really random. Maybe save several copies of a notepad file on several computers of a random password. It doesn't matter too much, just don't make it to obvious. It is like an email password. Make sure no one can suspect it.

Rheias

Reaction score
It does provide one, however it seems somewhat limited when it comes to big files (or so they state).

Are you sure that the password and username can be completely random? Also, as I said, I have no idea how to actually set them. :rolleyes:

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
The username and password are either provided by the hoster or you can define your own accounts through the control panel. Read the instructions you've been given when signing up.

Rheias

Reaction score
Well now it seems I can't even use the tool GoDaddy provides. Everytime I try to upload I get the messeges:

"Unable to upload one or more file(s)", "Software caused connection abort: socket write error".

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
Warning Make a backup of the files!!

when i tryed to upload html to a website provider everything just kinda deleted. the program some how managed to delete all the text in my html files and replace it with something wierd.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Well now it seems I can't even use the tool GoDaddy provides. Everytime I try to upload I get the messeges:

"Unable to upload one or more file(s)", "Software caused connection abort: socket write error".

That is probably an error to ask GoDaddy. I don't have experience with GoDaddy though.

It might be a file or something on your server.

I don't know, retrace your actions and see if any of them could have caused a problem.

gref

Reaction score
That program works for 30 days than it is gone.

That's a falsehood.
Smart FTP is free to use for Personal and Educational use. Every 30 days it asks you to redownload it to make sure you have the latest version, but it is free.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.