USB wireless adapter problem

Mullit

Reaction score
I havent been on these forums for a while so to all who remember me, hi.

I recently got a new wireless adapter for my computer, installed the software and everything seemed fine. it worked for a few days and then i unplugged my computer (all the cables usb hubs monitor etc.) so i could clean my desk. when I plugged everything back in my monitor said out of range and wouldnt display a picture (fixed that now) and my wireless adapter wouldnt connect to my router. I reinstalled all the drivers and it worked but now it wont work without me reistalling drivers everytime. and if I dont reinstall them, and try taking adapter out and plugging it back in, a little bubble pops up from the tray and says the device has malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it.
havent tried it in any other computers so i cant rule out that it might be faulty. I shouldnt think it is but i cant think of any other explanation.

anyone know what the problem could be and/or how to fix it?

> ive also tried running it just using the windows software and not installing the belkin stuff but the same thing happens.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
when I plugged everything back in my monitor said out of range and wouldnt display a picture (fixed that now) and my wireless adapter wouldnt connect to my router.

Double-check that the wireless cable from the PC to the router is plugged in correctly :D

Some ideas:
  • Are router and PC in the same room? If the connection works, what's the signal strengh you get? "Good", "Acceptable", "Signal, what signal"?
  • Does it connect to the right network, it might try to pick a neighbours one
  • Are the security settings correct the next time you reboot? Check the WPA keys ... or turn off encryption for a quick test and enable it again
  • Try reinstalling with a newer driver if you can find one
  • If it's "malfunctioning", what message is displayed inside the device manager?

Mullit

Reaction score
> No, the pc and router are not in the same room. the router is wired into a pc downstairs and I have the wireless adapter plugged into the computer in my room upstairs. before it all stopped working I used to get 2-3 bars out of 4 for signal strength.

> I cant pick up any neighbours wireless networks i used to be able to when i used a wireless B adapter but since i used a G adapter i cant pick it up, i dont know if thats because they have their router set up wierd or if the just dont have it anymore but i cant pick up any other networks so thats not the problem.

> all the secturity settings are fine and i dont have any encryption set up. I know I should set it up but im too lazy and afaik theres nobody living near me thats clever enough to 'hack' into my router settings or even 'wifi jack' from my router.

>I havent looked for newer drivers but it was working before I unplugged it using the same drivers. and it still works if i reinstall them every time i turn the computer on. its just that the software wont recognise it each time i turn it on.

>the malfunctioning message comes up when i try running the belkin software manually from the start menu. what happens is that it gives me a message saying that the adapter is not plugged in so i take it out and plug it back in again and one of those annoying winows pop up things comes up from the task tray saying an unknown usb device has been plugged in but it has malfunctioned so it cant install any drivers.

the thing is the drivers are already there.:banghead:

I managed to try it in my sisters computer and it does the exact same thing. she uses an identical adapter with the same software with no troubles but if I use the adapter from my computer it still says that it 'malfunctions'.

im starting to think that its a faulty adapter and not a software/set up problem.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
I managed to try it in my sisters computer and it does the exact same thing. she uses an identical adapter with the same software with no troubles but if I use the adapter from my computer it still says that it 'malfunctions'.

im starting to think that its a faulty adapter and not a software/set up problem.

What happens if you try the other way around: plug/unplug your sister's adapter into your PC. If that one works like a charm, then sorry, your own adapter is defective.

You should really enable security, as bad things (TM) might happen, like someone completing his MP3 collection through your connection. Ever wondered why that pizza van's been parking in front of your house all the time? :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.