Visibility and Movement Speed increase on Spell

Splice

Reaction score
Hi I'm Splice and I am new here :)

I've made a hero in a map that I gave a spell called "Vicarious" that is pretty much like the ability "Doom", except it's just 25 dps for 16 seconds, no Demon Guard comes out when the target dies, and the target doesnt always die, plus it works on heroes only. That's all good, that's what I want to happen.

But I want the casting hero, to have Visibility of the hero he casted it on and for him to have double/max movement speed whilst Doom is in effect, and then when Doom ends, for his speed to go back to normally.

I've tried triggers like
EVENT - Unit starts casting an ability
CONDITION - Ability being cast equal to Vicarious (TRUE)
ACTION - Set casting units movement speed to 350
ACTION - Give Owner of Casting Unit visibility of Position of Targeted Unit

And similair ones to make it go back to normal when the spell is over, but the problem is it's not working in the first place.

I dont know code btw, just the map editors basic triggers so if you could show me how it's done that way that would be helpful.
thankyou! :)

Sjaakje

Reaction score
First of all, always do Starts the Effects of an Ability

Secondly, Doom is one of blizzard's notorious bugged spells. It often doesn't work right with triggered spells.

Third, what exactly isn't working? According to the trigger, you will have visibility over the current position of where the targeted unit was when the abilty was cast. Is that not working? Perhaps you should Visibilty - Enable Visibility modifer , not sure on this one though. Besides, I'm guessing you want the visibility to stay on the unit, not just the position he was in at the start. To do this, I would make a dummy Faerie Fire and set its armour to 0. Set its buff to Slow Aura (Tornado) to make sure you can't see the buff icon, and the duration the same as your Doom spell. Then in the trigger give the ability to your hero and have it cast the dummy faerie fire and then remove the ability form him. You will now have visiblity without having to trigger visibility for the duration of the spell.

Splice

Reaction score
Thankyou for the reply :)

What isn't working is
- When the Hero casts "Vicarious (Doom)" he doesnt gain a movement speed increase for it's duration. And an attack speed increase would be good too, actually.
- When the Hero casts "Vicarious (Doom)" he also does not gain visibility of that unit for the duration of Doom (in a faerie fire-like way)

I will change the EVENT to (starts the effect of an ability), but with the faerie-fire dummy, will i have to make multiple copies? Vicarious is a leveled spell, and on level one it lasts for 4 seconds, and level 4 makes it last for 16 seconds, so the different faerie-fires will need to go for different durations.
thanks! ^_^

Sjaakje

Reaction score
Yep but you can just make the faerie fire have 4 levels with different durations and then set the level of Faerie fire to (Level of Vicarious for (Triggering Unit)), and THEN have it cast it.

Btw, it saves time doing Triggering Unit instead of Casting Unit, seeing as the triggering unit is the unit that started the effecst of the ability.
And you might be wondering why to do "starts the effecst of an ability" instead of "starts casting an ability" , this is because the second one will fire the trigger before mana is deducted. The first one will make sure the ability is actually being cast before making the triggered functions fire.

Oh and I don't really understand why the movement speed isn't working. Are you sure 350 is double of what the unit normally walks? If it still won't work, you could try adding the item ability Rune Speed Increase (something like that) and make it a dummy ability just like the faerie fire. Do the same as there.

Splice

Reaction score
Thankyou very much!

You're "starts the effect of the ability" has helped with another spell too!
You have been very helpful and it almost works now, but I think I can do it from here!

Thankyou once more!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.