Discussion What does your name mean, and why did your parents give you that name?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm named Thompson. Usually, parents name their child a name they came up with...but not me.

Actual facts:

1. When I was a kid, I was nameless. It was until I was a preschooler, did I chose this name.
2. The name itself sounded like my Chinese name pronunciation.
3. "Thompson" was rare to be a person's first name. Only about 1 in 14000 people are named Thompson.
4. Thompson is derived from Tommy and Thomas.
5. I picked this name myself.
6. Thompson and tom_mai are the same in Japanese...(just found out!)

Actual Lies:

1. It's rare.
2. It's cool.
3. It's easy to say. (tom-PUH-son)

I wondered how it felt to have a name not chosen by yourself...

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Well, it just sticks and just integrates into your natural life, of course if you dont like it, just have a name change :D

No clue how my first name came about, but my last time is quite odd.
Its "Hollywood".

Meaning, my ancestors lived in the woods of holly.
Not to be confused with the actual place in LA might i add :p

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
1. When I was a kid, I was nameless. It was until I was a preschooler, did I chose this name.
Holy crap.. Really, are you serious? So What did your parents call you, before you get a name "nameless"?

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
i find that hard to believe, what kind of parent doesnt name their child

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
I won't tell you my first name, but my last name means Bloody flower, similar in meaning to a thorny rose, so yea.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Holy crap.. Really, are you serious? So What did your parents call you, before you get a name "nameless"?

I'm sure hes lying... :rolleyes:

I don't know about there, but I'm pretty sure most places you legally have to name your child or else they name him/her for you. Not to mention that if you were to not name your chance, they would have tons of mental problems from it. Children learn a bunch from stuff they learn as a child. Research some brain/children psychology and you'll see what I'm talking about... :rolleyes:

Lambda_drive

Reaction score
Maybe it's a Taiwan thing. They probably don't want to give their children a name until they know they're going to servive. That's just a guess though.

Also I don't think it's the best of ideas to allow a preschooler to name themselves. A preschooler is generally about 4 years old, maybe 5. At that age they don't really know that much. If you asked them what name would you like to give yourself, they would probably say something like batman or superman. Most kids that age just don't know enough to pick a good name.

Also how can you say that you're nameless in your first fact and then in your second fact you said that you had a chinese name?

2. The name itself sounded like my Chinese name pronunciation.

You said that you were nameless before you chose your name as a preschooler, but then you say that the name you choose sounded like your Chinese name. That means that you had a name BEFORE you choose the name Thompson. So I'm guessing that Tom Mai is the name your parents gave you and you choose your "American" name yourself.

People in India do that all the time. The women that work at the call centers just look through a flower book and pick the first name they like. Hi my name is Daisey Rangarajan how may I help you today? :p

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I won't tell you my first name, but my last name means Bloody flower, similar in meaning to a thorny rose, so yea.

Aw...:(

Lee Tung Seng

Because of the way how names were being called, I was called "Tung Seng Lee", until it was evident my name had to be changed. Mom suggested I change to "Thompson" for the first name.

Maybe it's a Taiwan thing. They probably don't want to give their children a name until they know they're going to servive. That's just a guess though.

Nope, it was me for not giving more info. :p

Also I don't think it's the best of ideas to allow a preschooler to name themselves. A preschooler is generally about 4 years old, maybe 5. At that age they don't really know that much. If you asked them what name would you like to give yourself, they would probably say something like batman or superman. Most kids that age just don't know enough to pick a good name.

Hm...interesting. :confused:

You said that you were nameless before you chose your name as a preschooler, but then you say that the name you choose sounded like your Chinese name. That means that you had a name BEFORE you choose the name Thompson. So I'm guessing that Tom Mai is the name your parents gave you and you choose your "American" name yourself.

tom_mai isn't my actual name. Rather, it's a username. :p

Lambda_drive

Reaction score
tom_mai isn't my actual name. Rather, it's a username. :p
My mistake. :eek:

Do you have an answer for this though?
You said that you were nameless before you chose your name as a preschooler, but then you say that the name you choose sounded like your Chinese name. That means that you had a name BEFORE you choose the name Thompson.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I do. Me being nameless is the reason why I was using my Chinese name since I was a toddler until preschool. At that time, I don't have an English name, and my name were pronounced varying from Tomson, to Tommysonny...

Jogging my memory, I recall having 3 preschool kids being fumbled about my name, and kept asking me a lot of questions about my name.

So, a lot of people don't know my correct name, hence was told I was nameless for the time being.

Fun thing to remember is that, when I was to sign my name (to prove I wasn't tardy), I signed a lot of different names. Batman and Superman were one of them. :p

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
a name is a name, its not like its special or anything, for all the world, your name could mean "goodness" and you could be a serial killer bent on destroying the entire earth, just because he can.

I think names is just another way that we as humans try to organize this world, for whatever reason, and it would be better to call people by name then whatever a person could think up of ._.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Mind sharing your names? I would like to organize the world just by learning all of your names.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My name is George. I believe it means "Farmer".

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
My name is Frederik.
It's a Danish name, meaning you will only find people called it in Denmark and Netherland.
It is a variation of the german Frederick, which means peace, ruler. (Ruler as in king)

It is used very much in the Danish royal family. (Nearly every 2nd king is named that)

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
My name is Michael, "he who resembles God" in Hebrew, like the archangel Michael who leads the armies and slayed a dragon, :cool:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.