What's the max number of hours you'd play a map in one sitting?

MintJulep

Reaction score
You're playing an amazing map, and having tons of fun. The map has a clear beginning and end; but unfortunately, there is no way to save your progress and the map keeps going on and on. You want to reach the end, but it's going to take a while longer. How long could you stand to continue playing it (assuming you're continually interested in seeing the end and still having fun)?

My guess is around three hours for most people, but I'm interested in seeing what other WCIII players think. The answer will be very helpful in the design of my own map.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I played a footman wars map from 10:24 AM to 6:17 PM, which is just recently.

Some maps need more than 6 hours.
Some maps need maybe more.
Some maps may need less than 6 hours.

If you want to make a map that's pleasing for players: more than 6.
If you want to make a map that's just for action-oriented: Just 6 hours.
If you want to make a map that's going to have a few people leaving: less than 6.
If you aren't sure, contact Acehart, and he'll give you advice.
If you are sure, then just do your map.

Be happy that others play your map for a variety of hours.
Be sad that others don't play it often...

Cookiemaster

Reaction score

But remember that we are all life-less people playing an old game all day.

Most people don't like it if a game lasts more than an hour.

I recommend making a map that takes about 30~90 minutes to play.

If you want to make something totally awesome and huge, I suggest you make it so it's possible to cut down game-time.

Carl-Fredrik

Reaction score
You're playing an amazing map, and having tons of fun. The map has a clear beginning and end; but unfortunately, there is no way to save your progress and the map keeps going on and on. You want to reach the end, but it's going to take a while longer. How long could you stand to continue playing it (assuming you're continually interested in seeing the end and still having fun)?

My guess is around three hours for most people, but I'm interested in seeing what other WCIII players think. The answer will be very helpful in the design of my own map.

That's a good question... I once played a map for about 2 hours, but I've never really played for longer than that since most of the time people leaves or somebody wins.

I'd guess, if I really didn't have anything to do (like homework or sth) I might sit in 2-2.5 hours... hard to say though xD It has to be a very good map then ^^

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
20-30 min is an ideal game time length for me. I like being able to play short games without having to go to great lengths to plan how long I will have to sit playing. If the map is good, and I have the time I'll just play more games. I don't like leavers, but what I like less is maps that last so long that I have no other choice than to leave my teammates hanging.

As for your question: 1h tops.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Suit your needs. But, since maps design by oneself are hard to tell if it's fun or not, I suggest maps need to "move along" with a common trait among players.

Players who loved to play with others in the Custom Maps are actually people who sometimes talk with others during gameplay. In that case, make your maps a bit more friendlier, a bit more supportive to one another.

That hogs down your gameplay time to an 1 hour at the most.

If your map contains elements closely related to teamwork, allies, etc. supporting partnerships, perhaps your map might be played more than 3 hours.

------

It really depends on what kind of audience you are targeting. It's like a movie. You are the director, and you want to target a specific group of audience to view your story. I'm sure you're not targeting adults, are you?

It's not hard to choose what to target. But I'm sure, simple problems like these can get over anyone's head a lot of times.

nomadian

Reaction score
2- which is probably the amount of time I have spent on either a footman vs grunts or a Dota in the past. Maybe stretched to 2.5 if I was desperate to win.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
For one map in my case, maybe 2-5 hours in single player. 1-2 h when online in Garena or playing in LAN.

Took me like 2.7 hours to beat X Hero Siege on hard difficulty. And in RP (Roleplay) games, I was just messing around and making weird and epic insanity within 6 hours. (I liked RP's before, but it's not a popular map genre anymore, though it's still a great hardwood classic among Wc3 custom maps!) It depends on the genre. RPG's take a long time to beat, as well as some TD's. There are also mini-games and unique maps which are fast-paced, only taking 10-30 min. to beat. Melee games also take time to finish.

I usually top 8-11 hours on end when playing Warcraft 3 in general, including campaigns, cinematics, melee and custom maps(I achieved 11 h in my childhood, which is what I can't do now because of school and my teenage life).

OFFTOPIC: I played Age of Empires 3 for 9 hours, Battle Realms for 13 hours, and I play console games (Xbox, ps2, etc.) 13 hours the most (GTA San Andreas kept me awake for 12 hours while messing around in gangs and stuff).

Those were the old days for me:D

-- Umaku iku yō ni -|- jonadrian619 --​

Tythoid

Reaction score
I think 2hours at most for a game but really its all about the genre. A aos 30-60minutes Risk 20-30minutes RPG or survival game 1-2hours. You will find maps where its player versus player wont last as much as solo or entire team games because the sad truth is people dont like losing they will cheer and flame when their winning and complain then leave when losing.

Eyonix

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
It all depends on if I like the map, for example if I play an RPG or footmen or whatever it is, I really like.... 2 hours, If I don't like it 30 minutes...

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
Longest I've played a map for without stopping is 6 hours
IT all depends, if its a long rpg you should probably put save/load in otherwise i will play it once and never touch it again cause i hate replaying stuff like that.
If its ORPG/RPG im willing to play for a good 3 or so hours if its a good map

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
If i couldn't save it after about 1hr i would realize it and most like quit because i know how mad i would get latter on, when i lose all my stats. it would feel like i lost my glory.

But if my friend was over i would try my best to bet it with him in a all nighter 6+ hours

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.