Sci/Tech When A Mouse Requires An Internet Connection, You're Doing 'Cloud' Wrong

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
In a situation eerily similar to "always-on" DRM schemes, Razer mouse and keyboard purchasers are finding their high-end peripherals bricked by software that requires an internet connection to function.

So, why would a mouse need an internet connection to be usable? Well, it's supposed to be a feature, but it's behaving more like a bug. A forum member at Overclock.net explains the problem with his new ~$80 mouse:

This really took me by surprise. Just bought a new Naga 2012 mouse, installed the software and get greeted by a login screen right after. No option to bypass it to use the software to configure the mouse, set the options, sensitivity, shortcuts, macros etc.

So I go ahead and create an account and try to log in. Nothing. Try several more times, and still nothing. Try to make new accounts with different email addresses and it still wont work.

Finally call Razer who tells me the activation server is down, and I wont be able to use the mouse until it goes back up and will only be able to use it as a standard plug and play mouse til then. I ask about a workaround to use the mouse offline and they say there is none. Supposedly once the mouse is activated on the computer offline mode will work, but it needs to upload my profile and activate my account first and since their server is down its not going to happen. I ask for a supervisor to confirm this is the case and ask again for a workaround to use it offline. He said sorry theres nothing they can do, tells me the call center is closing and hangs up on me.

Read more here.

I find this to be surprising. If a mouse does require an internet connection, would it be in a similar situation of a product with DRM?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
This won't become remotely as widespread as DRM protected software. I don't really even understand the purpose of doing so, unless it's an attempt to discourage reselling products.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
This won't become remotely as widespread as DRM protected software. I don't really even understand the purpose of doing so, unless it's an attempt to discourage reselling products.

supposedly to sync settings.. 100% BS - they even claim the right to sell usage information

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.