Which would be more efficient?

Lord_Kakashi

The Wabbits are attacking
Reaction score
I'm trying to lock all player cameras to a certain viewpoint or camera object so to say, so i was wondering which would be more efficient..

A timed event which applies the camera object each 0,01 seconds.. or locking the camera to a dummy unit which has been placed at the camera objects focus..

Be mindful that i also need to make sure that the camera isn't reset to initial (game camera) viewpoint by scrolling the view up and down or pressing "End" or any other of those camera buttons in-game

So basically.. fixing the camera view to a specific camera object without causing lag.. Is there any other way to do this?

- Edit -
I also need the system to support multiple camera viewpoints at the same time, since each player might not be in the same region, so i've made a code which looks like this.
Code:
cam cam
    Events
        Time - Every 0.01 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to 6, do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Camera - Apply PlayCam[CamIndex[(Player number of (Player((Integer A))))]] for (Player((Integer A))) over 0.00 seconds

Variables:
PlayCam: Camera Object Array
CamIndex: Integer Array

So basically i just set each players camera depending on "CamIndex" which will be set when a unit enters a region.. It works, but not 100% as i would like it to, also I'm afraid that this method might cause lag

Andyoyo

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
It works, but not 100% as i would like it to, also I'm afraid that this method might cause lag

I'd say instead of having the trigger run 100 times a second have it run 5-10 times. So
E-Time every .2 seconds

Hopefully will help with the lag esp. online

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
yeah, when I lock a game camera I use a periodic timer of 0.2 seconds aswell. I find it doesn't create any lag and the camera stays locked to the unit at all times. When somebody tries to scroll the camera down there is a slighty jerk, but with it reseting every 1/5th of a second it is barely noticable and the player will stop trying to scroll after the first few attempts

Lord_Kakashi

Reaction score
I guess, although it would have been better if it wouldn't move at all.. hmm..

Well every.. thanks.. I'll reduce the frequency of which it triggers

Lord_Kakashi

Reaction score
I think this would be a better option. Avoids periodic trigger and it's jearkyless. :)

Well if i do this, the problem is that the camera would be reset to normal game cam if you "scrolled" the camera in-game..

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
Normal camera lock can also be disabled by pressing ctrl+c or something. Periodic event is better imo

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Camera - Lock camera target for Player 1 (Red) to Footman 0000 <gen>, offset by (0.00, 0.00) using The unit's rotation
Something like that? What do you mean by scroll the camera? It still locks on target even though I pressed PgUp or PgDown.

Edit:
Hmmm... Silent has his point there :).

Lord_Kakashi

Reaction score
Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Camera - Lock camera target for Player 1 (Red) to Footman 0000 <gen>, offset by (0.00, 0.00) using The unit's rotation
Something like that? What do you mean by scroll the camera? It still locks on target even though I pressed PgUp or PgDown.

Edit:
Hmmm... Silent has his point there :).

Well the problem is that the camera isnt supposed to be able to be manipulated at all.. It needs to be FIXED in all values, not just position

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Hmm... Go for periodic then. But just be sure of what you are doing. If I'm not mistaken, Camera actions are some of the common cause of server split. Not too sure though. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.