Who created the first tower defence ?

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I remember the first footman wars.

I remember the first micro wars.

I remember one of the first hero defence maps.

I remember one of the first conquer maps.

I don't remember the creator of the first Tower Defence.

Who is he? What was his map ? Where can I get it ?

I think that I am not the only one who is interested in knowing this. If anyone has any info at all about the creator of the first td I will be really grateful.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
it was blizzard with their Tower Defense because it was included in the demo of the frozen throne editor now the concept of tower defense wasn't made by blizzard but it was a good idea to include it in the editor

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
or some dude with the stareditor(the starcraft editor is that's it's name? Idk^^).

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
I do believe that Tower Defenses originated in Starcraft.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
either way, the guy was a genious.... isn't it a shame that most of the time the people are forgotten and only their deeds are remembered ?

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
sn't it a shame that most of the time the people are forgotten and only their deeds are remembered ?
Remember remember the 22nd of September / 5th of November ^^

Life just kills you...(I could be wrong now....)

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Defense maps in Starcraft are a far older and in some respects wider genre than wc3 defense maps. For starters, SC doesn't automatically imply 'tower' when a 'defense' map is brought up.

Did I mention their names are way more epic? The best that Wc3 has in that regard is probably Power Towers. Starcraft? They aren't pasies with their names. You historically get things like Five-Star Photon D and Sunken Six-Way.

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
Ah, I remember them in StarCraft. Some of them where simply brilliant and actually better then many in wc3 if you ask me.
But most of them also allowed units over towers since the customization of StarCraft was more limited then wc3. You could not create new units for instance and there were only... 3-4 towers in StarCraft. I also remember a funny, bug if you may, that let you build multiple towers on the same spot by simply removing vision of your own team so that it didn't know there were something in the way (in this case a preplaced tower).

Anyhow... At least the princips of TD existed in StarCraft with units moving along a line and units killing them, so it'd be correct saying that StarCraft was first and Blizzard most likely became inspired to make their own version in wc3.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I thought he meant the first tower defense made in wc3, like I said in my first statement i am still correct :p

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
I also remember a funny, bug if you may, that let you build multiple towers on the same spot by simply removing vision of your own team so that it didn't know there were something in the way (in this case a preplaced tower).

This is a Feature, not a bug. ^^

Another nice trick is to build a bunker, fill it with marines, then move the bunker with a trigger, you know have invisible marines shooting out of nothing. ^^

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember those too :D

You could also make invisible Bunkers by disabling them and granting and taking vision of them. Then you could give them low health and you'd have fire with no base :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.