Windows vista error "nvlddmkm has stopped working"

cheeto515

Reaction score
Okay, every time I start to play a game such as WC3, WoW, CoD4, anything at all, in about 2 minutes my screen will go black, stay off for a few seconds, then reappear. This will happen, wait 2 more minutes, and repeat. After a few times, my computer usually just freezes up or Blue Screens.

After it did this a few times, I ALT-TABBED to desktop, and in the bottom right of my screen it says something along the lines of "nvlddmkm has stopped working but has now recovered successfully"

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks <3

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Well there are many things with this and I have found a few anwsers
with the nvlddmkm driver thing... It only is for Vista if I'm correct

change your colour settings to 16-bit(medium)
apperantly that is what works sometimes

another thing to try

1) Uninstall Nvidia drivers (preferably with the Nvidia uninstaller), reboot in safe mode.
2) Run Driver cleaner and XDC (as Administrator). These are great for deleting registry entries, but still leave a lot of driver files behind.
3) run an advanced search for nv*.* in c:\Windows. Exclude the C:\Windows\System32\Driverstore\FileRepository in your search (you can't delete these, but it doesn't matter). Make sure you've checked the tick box to see hidden files. Sort the results by date decending.
4)You can now see all the files left behind by old nvidia drivers. Generally, files from the same driver set were created on the same date, so they're easy enough to spot. If in doubt, holding the cursor over a file tells you exactly what it is - if it's an Nvidia driver/control panel file, ditch it. The offending Nvlddmkm.sys will likely be one of them. Warning - don't delete nforce chipset drivers or anything that might not be an Nvidia file!
5) Reinstall your nvidia driver, reboot as normal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.