wont work

educator

Reaction score
hello helpers, im having a problem with maps that iv downloaded. some of them wont let me play when i select them in tft. not talkin bout the editor but the actual game (wont open in editor either but just want to play them). when i select them to be played the race/team/handiap bit doesn't show up. is it the map or is it my warcraft. and can i fix it.

aussj4link

Reaction score
Yeah it bugged me out when the patch 1st hit as well, basically unless the map is updated to the recent patch its not going to work, I have no idea why Blizzard did this, personally I think they are trying to get people off wc3 so when SC and D3 hit they will have plenty of wallets willing to fork out cash for there new games. The creator of a map has to update their map by opening it in WE and then saving it again, its very lame, like I said it seems like Blizzard just wants more mula.

Carnerox

The one and only.
Reaction score
Yeah it bugged me out when the patch 1st hit as well, basically unless the map is updated to the recent patch its not going to work, I have no idea why Blizzard did this, personally I think they are trying to get people off wc3 so when SC and D3 hit.

No... They fixed a bug which a lot of maps were using..

aussj4link

Reaction score
Since the patch hit pretty much all my old maps stopped working, and its annoying because there was a lot of good maps, I know it has something to do with the patch because I played those maps perfectly before the patch, a few of them I was able to open with WE and then re-saved them and they started working again, but a lot of the maps are "protected" aka damaged, and I couldn't get them to work. If blizz really did just fix a bug why did it break nearly every map? I think they altered something to make the maps not work and called it "fixing a bug".

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, people found out that they could run external files, and steal all of other peoples files and information through WC3.

So Blizzard fixed it.

carbonduck

Reaction score
Since the patch hit pretty much all my old maps stopped working, and its annoying because there was a lot of good maps, I know it has something to do with the patch because I played those maps perfectly before the patch, a few of them I was able to open with WE and then re-saved them and they started working again, but a lot of the maps are "protected" aka damaged, and I couldn't get them to work. If blizz really did just fix a bug why did it break nearly every map? I think they altered something to make the maps not work and called it "fixing a bug".

Stop being so ignorant. All of those maps that stopped working were exploiting a bug in JASS in order to do some things. Unfortunately, that same bug could be used in quite a malicious manner, so Blizzard fixed it. End of story.

WCGMapMaker

Reaction score
Stop being so ignorant. All of those maps that stopped working were exploiting a bug in JASS in order to do some things. Unfortunately, that same bug could be used in quite a malicious manner, so Blizzard fixed it. End of story.

++ rep for being one of the few to know why the patch was released. No maps where effected by the patch except very specific maps using very specific JASS exactly has he said it. Island defense, dota, 1 version of risk and Bship Cfire is all that was really effected with a couple other nobody maps.

OP problem is the map itself by the sounds of it, bugged or something maybe som1 screwed up while trying to protect since ive seen that error before for that reason. You can reinstall your Warcraft III TFT just incase i do it every month because my game keeps getting bugs where if i hit options it crashes but stuff like that is fairly common. If i were you delete the map and find a different version, chances are its just a tampered version that got screwed up by some editor not knowing what he was doing.

aussj4link

Reaction score
You must not have many maps then lol. I can literally go through all my maps 1 by 1 and every last one of them except maybe about 20 out of the 2000+ maps I have wont work. I even tried reinstalling WC3 when this problem first occurred thinking this many maps couldn't possibly be all bugged all the sudden right? After reinstalling and updating it was the same, pretty much all my maps were dead. So then I did some researching and found out that the patch is what caused the issue, and the only thing I could think of with WC3 being around for so long and then all the sudden when new games with big hypes are about to come out, they suddenly release a new patch which fixes some bug they could have fixed years ago... but okay okay, I'll take your word for it, blizzard is not a money hungry mmo giant, there just REALLY slow at patching these horrible bugs several YEARS after the release.

On a side note you must not enjoy very many maps, either that or I just abnormally like the maps I have more than the common gamer, because almost none of my maps would I call "nobody" maps. Had a lot of fun back in the day with them with friends and what not, I mean I rarely ran into a map I couldn't stand. I'm sorry if my ignorance has offended you but its just sucks that now when me and my friends want to play a fun map, we have a choice between DOTA and uhhhh DOTA... oh yeah and DOTA.

carbonduck

Reaction score
You must not have many maps then lol. I can literally go through all my maps 1 by 1 and every last one of them except maybe about 20 out of the 2000+ maps I have wont work. I even tried reinstalling WC3 when this problem first occurred thinking this many maps couldn't possibly be all bugged all the sudden right? After reinstalling and updating it was the same, pretty much all my maps were dead. So then I did some researching and found out that the patch is what caused the issue, and the only thing I could think of with WC3 being around for so long and then all the sudden when new games with big hypes are about to come out, they suddenly release a new patch which fixes some bug they could have fixed years ago... but okay okay, I'll take your word for it, blizzard is not a money hungry mmo giant, there just REALLY slow at patching these horrible bugs several YEARS after the release.

On a side note you must not enjoy very many maps, either that or I just abnormally like the maps I have more than the common gamer, because almost none of my maps would I call "nobody" maps. Had a lot of fun back in the day with them with friends and what not, I mean I rarely ran into a map I couldn't stand. I'm sorry if my ignorance has offended you but its just sucks that now when me and my friends want to play a fun map, we have a choice between DOTA and uhhhh DOTA... oh yeah and DOTA.

The bug in question was a JASS work-around that converted a handle into an integer. The purpose of exploiting the bug was to get the ID values associated with certain handles. Blizzard didn't have a problem with that. Again, unfortunately, someone eventually (read: recently) found out a way to maliciously own someone's computer if they played a maliciously coded map.

Blizzard was fine with the conversion of a handle into an integer. They were NOT fine with someone wrecking computers. Therefore, they patched the bug and introduced a few new functions for WC3 scripting, especially a new function that converted handles into IDs without requiring the previous exploit.

The conversion of handles into IDs is an important function for most mappers, which is why MANY maps exploited the bug and those maps are now unplayable.

canons200

Reaction score
i believe blizzard will keep on patching(in future), for fixing the bug, But it hardly affects my map, because all my map are GUI based(99% GUI, 1% jass)..........don't look down at GUI, but the costis all my map are also more size than jass based map =.='

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.