World Editor Wiki

nullmind

Reaction score
I invite all of you to participate in our World Editor Wiki at worldeditor.org. We need all the help we can get to finish making a real comprehensive resource of all the Actions, Events, Conditions, and other pieces of the World Editor.

We now require an account becuase we had been attacked by vandals, and I need anyone who can help moderate to step up. The site is growing nicely and I'm proud of what we have so far.

Please don't hesitate to contact me via e-mail/GTalk ([email protected]) or on AIM at nullsmind if you are interested.

Cheers,
Kris

nullmind

Reaction score
Indeed, but this is designed to be a reference for the World Editor, hence the domain name. Our project is over a year old, but we just recently got our domain working again.

We include screenshots of event dialogs and fully categorized listing of Events, Actions, and Conditions. The goal is to be able to type http://worldeditor.org/<Trigger, Event, or Action name>, like:

http://worldeditor/Unit - Kill

This will take you to the article about that event. The same is true for abilities, which are also categorized and we aim to document oddities as well as data fields better.

I understand "anyone can start a Wiki", but having things properly planned out and coordinated helps a lot. It's also important that we have our own simple domain name. We're open to collaborating with everyone as much as possible.

It's not TheHelper's fault, but it just seems that people divide between the forums. Some use Hive Workshop for forums, but it seems a lot of people don't cross over. I thought this would be a good middle-ground for all the forum communities.

We're also self-sufficient. We don't rely on a parent site, and we have control over our content and software directly.'

Cheers,
Kris

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well, i'll be happy to help... As soon as I get all my work and stuff done.
Currently my life is like this:

Life Priorities = > WC3 Priorities.

I can still do very small amounts but I'm currently very busy.

nullmind

Reaction score
I understand that people have a lot of things that are more important than Warcraft 3! Every little amount of help adds to the overall sum. As I mentioned before, we can coordinate with other Wikis to help get the information dispersed.

Feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you need any help or want to coordinate with us!

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
We're also self-sufficient. We don't rely on a parent site, and we have control over our content and software directly.'
Now, the same thing can be said about http://wiki.thehelper.net/wc3/Main_Page :p

There is actually a handful of wc3 modding related wiki's (I wasn't aware of this one though, how long have you had this domain problem?) but for some reason they are all very difficult to find. A pretty big contrast to the wikis of WoW. I believe a partial reason to why wikis are so absent in wc3 is the (complete) lack of content, no wiki I've seen as to yet can compete even with the relatively spare content of http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/. Another possible reason is that you need a "mother site" to lift a new wc3 site into existence. Solution to the first issue is hard work and collaboration among communities, solution to the second issue is to be an admin of thehelper.net :cool:

Some technical matters:
Using mediawiki in the page root is not the easiest thing to do. You might have solved the issues with it in which case you can ignore the warning, else see it as an heads up.

Try to get one of the countless mediawiki api scripts running, I imported the entire content of common.j, Blizzard.j and every trigger action/condition/event in a matter of hours using the ruby api. Even if it's just a skeleton it's much better than creating and filling in the repeated content of each page manually.

Looking at your wiki makes me feel like it's time to dust of the my web developer skills, wiki.thehelper looks very stock in comparison ^^

nullmind

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and advice. We're using MediaWiki because I have experience with it. I can do whatever we need to do in the software somewhere, either in a skin, extension, or PHP.

The ads are there to help offset the cost of hosting, and I may take them down in the future. I appreciate the feedback if they are too bothersome. I hate ads too, and I'm thinking about rewarding users that have committed changes by removing ads for them. I thought this was a decent compromise and might help get people to commit more.

As for importing the JASS, I'm not sure if I'm going to do that personally. I'm "newb" in the sense that I enjoy just using the GUI editor as much as possible. I program in my daily life, and when I'm making War3 maps I enjoy just working in the World Editor. This is something I would like to share between other wikis or have another member that is more familiar with JASS help out with.

If we can find some way to share content between Wikis that benefits both of us, that would be great. I don't know about your license, but we allow others to take our Wiki content, modify it, and redistribute it freely. I could coordinate with others to generate a database / XML dump if needed.

Regarding being self-sufficient, isn't your Wiki hosted by TheHelper, and isn't TheHelper it's parent site?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Use ad-block plus, then his ad free too.
sigh

> Regarding being self-sufficient, isn't your Wiki hosted by TheHelper, and isn't TheHelper it's parent site?
Well. This IS TheHelper.net afterall...

nabbig2

Reaction score
Is there one that has all the warcraft icons? (I know it's possible to export them one by one, but it's a pain.)

Reaction score
I found a site that I use for unit concepts. It has all if not most of them, we will probably add them to our wiki when we have time to upload all of them xD

http://www.wowwiki.com/WC3_Icons/Icon_List

It should only take about an hour to get them all, uploading will take a while simply because of the mass amount of icons.

Just create a quick command line application that scans the main mpqs for blp or tga files.

Check the dimensions, then convert to a format that is supported by web browsers, and save the file.

Anyone with knowledge of the blp format and some decent programming skills could do it.

I may even attempt it, depending if there is any blp documentation somewhere.

Just throwing out this idea incase you guys do try adding them to the wiki, I wouldn't want you guys to export each icon manually which could take forever..

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
It should only take about an hour to get them all, uploading will take a while simply because of the mass amount of icons.

Just create a quick command line application that scans the main mpqs for blp or tga files.

Check the dimensions, then convert to a format that is supported by web browsers, and save the file.

Anyone with knowledge of the blp format and some decent programming skills could do it.

I may even attempt it, depending if there is any blp documentation somewhere.

Just throwing out this idea incase you guys do try adding them to the wiki, I wouldn't want you guys to export each icon manually which could take forever..

Phyrex said he would so something along those lines... Though I am not gifted in the programming witchcraft that he is.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.