WoW - A from a hater's point of view.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Is there a rogue company hiring writers to write these things? :rolleyes:

I wish there was. Would be a great way to make some cash! :)

Rad

Reaction score
Games what are build on replay ability are addicting. You reach on one level when another waits you. Endless loop is achieved.

The replayability is what makes most RPG's fun... Examples:

Morrowind/oblivion - Great roleplayability in customization, tons of builds and expansive storyline
Diablo II - Good roleplayability, not in the storyline except for the fact each dungeon is randomly generated. Tons of class builds and items made it fun to build every possible combination before it got boring.
RYL - Its an old click to fight MMORPG. The combat in this was great, there were styles based on your movements. It lacked weapons and was pretty slow, but the combat was awesome.
Guild wars - Its replayability failed. I bought it a month after it came out. I played one character, got really far into a mission before dying, having to do it again which I didn't want to. Made a new character, exact same storyline (EXACT)

World of Warcraft is a huge success in that every aspect is covered. Many classes, many abilities, many races, many items, many quests too... The combat system was terrible though. Too dumbed down. I guess it had to be though, with most of the abilities the way they were.

The main reason WoW got boring to me, I don't like quests. I hated the fact of running instances several times to level up, and grinding took forever and was dreafully boring. I was outleveled by my friend almost 10 levels apart because he rushed through every quest he could get. Pure motivation I guess, unless you find them boring. Especially when most earlier quest items are better than any that you can find which knocks out the thrill in finding items.

It was fun though. I built just about every type of class. Didn't really care about talents though. I probably spent 30% of the game in Stormwind though. Auction house was fun, making tons of gold that you shouldn't have at that low of level which you can only waste on twink items, and once you use those the cash is just gone. Not worth it to spend, no point to earn. Earning money got boring.

It was more of a time burner at that point. It starts to dawn on you that your paying about $15/mo to burn time. When that happens it can make things very boring.

It's really not your type of game if you can't get past level 35 without getting bored.

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
I have to go right now - But there is one point I would like to say my opinions about. (Make sure you read bolded statement at bottom - So you don't miss it)

Don't you ever think that playing WoW is pointless and a waste of your time?

Nope. Never. Is not entertainment worth your time? Is not the enjoyment worth it? Is not life a "Pursuit of Happiness", and World of Warcraft just one possible aspect in achieving it?

I am gonna go really deep with this.

To me, one thing in life matters. This one thing is happiness. To be happy is my liefs goal. Why would I care to be successful? Why should anyone care? Being successful isn't what they're after - it's the benefits of being successful that people want. Why does it matter if you have millions of dollars, if having it doesn't give you any enjoyment in life, doesn't make you happy?

I could care less about being successful. One time when I was younger I thought I wanted to be successful - But I was wrong. I want to be happy. And if being successful, or getting married or whatever it is I go for helps me achieve happiness, then so be it.

Think about what you want. What do you really want? A good job? Money? Fame? A big house? You could have all of the above and still cry yourself to sleep and view every day as living hell. Or do you really want to be happy in life, no matter what that means?

Of course, there is always love and friendship - Which arguably is the meaning of happiness. This isn't the point I'm going for, though.

Now, how does this all relate to WoW, at all? Well, to millions of players, the World of Warcraft is fun. It's entertaining. When I play WoW*, I am happy. I am having fun - And I can safely assume others are also happy when playing WoW... Otherwise they wouldn't be playing.

Of course... WoW is always temporary. When you leave the Realms of Azeroth you are back to you life. And sure, that could be great. Heck, I know most of the time I rather be not playing WoW than playing WoW. But, I can never say it's a waste of time - Because I am having fun. It is not assuring happiness in the future, but for the time I play WoW, my life goal is complete.

What you need is a balance. A balance between happiness and something to support that happiness. This can be used in any example that I can think of.

I know this is a weird way to think about it. I am not saying WoW is happiness, or anything like that - I am just arguing in a more generic fashion that whatever brings you happiness, go for it. Just always make sure to have the balance that I mentioned, so that you don't lose all that you have. Not everyone can be happy with absolutely nothing.

Have a nice day!

The bolded text:

What you need is a balance. A balance between happiness and something to support that happiness. This can be used in any example that I can think of.

*I don't play WoW much. I barely play it at all. I have had it for two years and haven't even hit 70. I am just arguing this point. :)

Y

yabyab

yabyab, It's just a game. End Of Discussion.

Or not, many of your arguments fail, if a player takes aggro from Maraudon, he has a high chance of dying, incredible high if the group ain't good. And there is no way he could tank monsters in Maraudon. WoW ain't easy, it doesn't require you to be god-like to complete your way to level 70, but it is not easy. But mainly, it takes time.

Also, your seven year old kid won't stand a chance in PvP, I would love to see him doing an instance, reading tactics and not overaggroing. World Of Wacraft is as IQ-required as any other game. Actually, the whole community is not horrible. It depends how horrible you are.

I totally agree with you that WoW is just a game. I couldn't have said it better. Just exactly how Legend of Zelda is a game and Mario Brothers is a game.

Do you know why would a mage die in Mara if he gets aggro? it's because the tank and the healer in his group are my 7 and 9 year old nephews.

Apparently you haven't read what I've written. I did say my 7 year old nephew wouldn't stand a chance to the 11 year old kids, definitely. But what I've also said, that doesn't prevent him from "progressing". Which was my point, that even a 7 year old can progress successfully in this game. Yes, he is outplayed in PvP and he is outplayed in groups(the same guy who would let your mage die).

I think we agree on many things here.

Rad

Reaction score
*I don't play WoW much. I barely play it at all. I have had it for two years and haven't even hit 70. I am just arguing this point. :)[/B]

$350 spent on a game you don't even play (enough). Thats like... Well thats how much you can get a computer that can play it for.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Apparently you haven't read what I've written. I did say my 7 year old nephew wouldn't stand a chance to the 11 year old kids, definitely. But what I've also said, that doesn't prevent him from "progressing". Which was my point, that even a 7 year old can progress successfully in this game. Yes, he is outplayed in PvP and he is outplayed in groups(the same guy who would let your mage die).

Please, define progressing.

Y

yabyab

Please, define progressing.

1. Reaching Max Level, which he did.
2. Getting decent gear from running group dungeons.
3. He managed to get in his brother's guild and actually won some epic gear, while being clueless about what's going on.

What more of a progress is there to the game?

I can't remember if he did well in PvP Arena but in the BGs he racked many points just joining random BGs here and there. Because you know in BGs it all matters on if your faction wins or loses. Even if you lose, this little cute kid is still collecting honor and medals and is definitely "progressing".

Hope that explains it.

S

Shockna

Hello all,

Please don't hurt me! I used to play WoW myself (about a year, actually) but quit around six months ago. I tried the game again yesteday and found that even with the immense changes the gameplay was the same -- same old monotone leveling for ages and, at end-level, eternal grinding (or, as it is now called, "daily quests").
So -- what keeps you going? Don't you ever think that playing WoW is pointless and a waste of your time? When did you last check your /played? Do you even dare to do so anymore?
Please. I really want to know the reason for that infernal games ever-growing popularity!

- OVRKLL

I just find it fun. Why? I don't know. I just do. Bad reason? Perhaps. But it's still fun enough for me to pay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.