Zombie barrier

ZachQuint

Reaction score
Where do i begin.
i am making a zombie game out of the world editor utilities, and i am trying to find a system that works the same way as the call of duty games (minus the repair animations). when i try to place a gate under the doodads and destructibles, the zombies sit outside of the gate, and dont make an effort to break through the gate. the i tried placing a building with a different model file, but the gate model only sits horizontally, i need both that and virtical. then i resorted to placing a unit, changing the model, and taking away all movement capabilities. the worked, making the zombies attack the gate, however when the survivor unit comes close, the zombies will walk through the gate, and attack me. :banghead: i have changed the pathing collision size, and countless other things. here are my triggers:

Game Beginning
Events
Map initialization
Conditions
Actions
Trigger - Turn off Zombies attack survivor <gen>

(My Variables)
Variables
Events
Map initialization
Conditions
Actions
Set Survivor = Survivor 0004 <gen>
Set Zombies = (Units of type Ghoul)

(my Zombie Spawn System)
Zombie Spawn LVL 1
Events
Time - Elapsed game time is 15.00 seconds
Conditions
Actions
Unit - Create 2 Ghoul for Neutral Hostile at (Center of Spawn1 <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees
Unit - Create 2 Ghoul for Neutral Hostile at (Center of Spawn 2 <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees

(to make the zombies attack the gate and then move on to the survivor)
Zombie attack start
Events
Unit - A unit enters Spawn 2 <gen>
Unit - A unit enters Spawn1 <gen>
Conditions
Actions
Unit - Order (Entering unit) to Attack-Move To (Position of Survivor)

(this trigger is for the zombie that like to run away after they reach the Survivor)
Zombies attack survivor
Events
Time - Every 0.03 seconds of game time
Conditions
Actions
Unit Group - Order (Units of type Ghoul) to Attack Survivor

i want to make it so that the zombie will break through my barrier, and then attack me. they run straight towards me if my characters to close, and if i make my unit a building in the objects editor the zombies will run through the gate. UgHHHH. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

AoW_Hun7312

I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Reaction score
if i make my unit a building in the objects editor the zombies will run through the gate.

I assume it's because you haven't set the building's pathing correctly. You need to change the pathing to what you want it to be (3x3, for example). After this, you should give the gate a weak attack (1-1) so it gets priority over other units behind it.

ZachQuint

Reaction score
thats not very clear. im sorry im not the best at this so could you tell me where i can find it? also i would like to make changes to my unit that act as the gate, not the building because the building cant be placed vertically and horizontally, however the unit can face whichever direction i choose :p

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
What's wrong with the unit? Just place it and give it a reasonable Custom Value and it should work fine.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
Sorry did I say Custom Value? I meant Collision Size. Don't know how I said Custom Value.

ZachQuint

Reaction score
my base unti was for the barrier was originally a peasant. i think the collision size for it was around 18. the collision size has changed from 18 to 600 to 300 and many other numbers.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
What is wrong with the units is that it doesn't have the same pathing value as the unit. Making it seem like zombies go through the Gate (The model).

What you need is to make a building, and select "Is rotatable", place in the editor with the rotations you want, and then after you've placed them, remove the "Is rotatable".
Something like that, I don't' exactly remember.

And collision size for units is circular, not quadrilateral like buildings.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
The problem with that, is it doesn't rotate pathing, so you can't simply use a building. You have to use a unit, despite the elliptical Collision Size.

esb

Reaction score
Might have to do with angles. I forgot exactly.

Ah I remember now.
Make it a building first, then change it to "Is a unit", place and rotate, then go to editor and change to "Is a building."

Or it could have been from doodad to structure.. ugh i forgot and don't have wc3 installed.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
Might have to do with angles. I forgot exactly.

Ah I remember now.
Make it a building first, then change it to "Is a unit", place and rotate, then go to editor and change to "Is a building."

Or it could have been from doodad to structure.. ugh i forgot and don't have wc3 installed.

That's correct, but as I pointed out, it doesn't modify the pathing map. So you can't do that efficiently.

ZachQuint

Reaction score
okay! i finally found a solution to the walkthrough the barrier problem! i had to change the collision siz on the build, and the zombies collision size. However now im looking for a way to repair the barriers while they are taking damage, and after they have been destroyed. Any ideas?

esb

Reaction score
Why not add pathing blocks through triggers? Once the Doodad gate is destroyed, remove the pathing blockers. If the Gate takes 6 squares, make 6 regions and add/remove 6 pathing blockers.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
No, I think it's more to do with placement. If your current method works, keep it, and don't make new threads.

When the barrier is destroyed create some sort of dummy to act as the new barrier, then recreate the barrier when it's repaired.

ZachQuint

Reaction score
i found my solution. whenever the unit is destroyed it is replaced by an object that cant be collided with. i then made it so that it upgrades into the barrier, wich luckily replaces itself with the orientation of the previous unit. however after i did all of this, and tested the map, my first wave of zombies could attack the barrier fine, i could replace the barrier, but the second wave of zombie would sit outside of the barrier trying to get in without an effort to destroy the barrier. !!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.