blocky terrain and overlapping text

F

Forsaken_Deity

I don't know if anybody has already asked these questions, but I don't really have time to look through all the threads that have been posted. If someone has, I'm sorry. Please tell me which threads to look at. Otherwise, someone try and answer my questions, please.

Question #1: On some maps (marine cannon hydra defence, for example), I noticed that they have placed terrain that has no border or anything... just plain blocky terrain. I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw a map that even used terrain from multiple different tilesets in this manner. Could someone please tell me how to do this?

Question #2: On some maps (pikmin is the only one I've seen this on), I've seen text that overlaps other text. It gives kind of a cool effect shadowy effect, and I want to know how the heck they did it. Anyone who knows, tell me please!!!

Thanks for helping... well, that is, if you answered my questions.

H

HELLSS

Question #1: On some maps (marine cannon hydra defence, for example), I noticed that they have placed terrain that has no border or anything... just plain blocky terrain. I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw a map that even used terrain from multiple different tilesets in this manner. Could someone please tell me how to do this?

They used an ISOM editor, it lets you place that 1x2 rectangular terrain (blocky terrain). you can download ISOM at http://camsys.org.
ScmDraft, a beta version of a "editor to replace StarEdit" also accomplishes this, but that programs a bit buggyin some areas, you can download it here:
http://www.stc-f.com/scmdraft.zip

Question #2: On some maps (pikmin is the only one I've seen this on), I've seen text that overlaps other text. It gives kind of a cool effect shadowy effect, and I want to know how the heck they did it. Anyone who knows, tell me please!!!

No one knows how, those who do keep it a secret.. VERY VERY few in the community can do it, I've only seen it on one or two maps myself. I once went through a couple dozen ascii characters testing to see what they would do (trying to get that shadow effect) but I never found it, although I found 2 other nice effects ;).

Ilendil

Most Respected Former Admin
Reaction score
Curious...

2 nice effects eh?

Is there by any chance you can PM me them or something? :D

G

what u mean overlapping text in game or briefing or somthing cause in briefing it is fairly easy

H

HELLSS

blek

He means overlapping text.... not animated text made to look overlapped. There's a character you can use to accomplish it, it's been used in map names, and even forces names i believe.

And Ilendil, the 2 effects I got are more so ways to ease work on the map creators part, one centers text and the other right-aligns text. It works in everything, even unit names! except in unit names the center one is drifted to the right... Pretty nice :) I'm keeping it a secret though mwhahahahaaa! Took me a lot of work to find them.

F

Forsaken_Deity

Thanks... I can't believe they're keeping something that cool a secret.

But what was that you were saying about animating text to make it overlap? As far as I know, animating text can't do what I'm talking about...

Thanks for the info

-Gryphon

H

HELLSS

blek

No, it can't do what you'r saying, I know what you are talking about.... Just don't listen to that guy ;) heh. He got mixed up in what you mean.

TheBeastofUrak

Reaction score
Hey guys i was playing with staredit and i found the ascii character to make the text overlap. It is actually 2 symbols.
I would be glad to give them to any experienced mapmakers but if I post them here they will be all over. Please email me at my email
Maybe you could show me your map you want to use it on or something.

P.S. HELLSS Ill trade you my characters for yours:cool:

H

HELLSS

blek

you drive a hard bargain.... I shall consider this.... damn you lol.

e-mail me in the future if I never respond lol.

Ilendil

Reaction score
HELLSS... actually... the characters you have are the overlapping chars... you just need to set the amount of spaces between the word and the space char or the spac char and color char to get it to overlap correctly...

H

HELLSS

Well yes that would work but not to well.... i'd have to include spaces all over and that's just ridiculous.... would also require MORE characters to color text.... But I suppose mine would work, gonna have to try that hehe.

Ilendil

Reaction score
the chars Urak gave me seems to require the same amount of spaces equal to the amount of letters in the word between the color char and the overlapping char.

M

MacalanianNuts

Hehe, hey i'm what you could call an "experienced" map maker. None of mymaps have hit it big but some of them are The Battle of Bunker Hill, Archon Tag Centennial, Golems-Next Generation and I think that is it. I have been forum-hunting for a while now looking for something that tells you the characters to overlap text. So, uh, can you tell me? Thanks.;)

K

KiLLeR-CrAzY

im trying to overlap a tezt , Evil Desert , its the name of a map but i cant overlap it well . this is what i was doing:
||E|vil Desert ||E|vil |Desert but it doesnt overlaps correctly, evil overlaps on desert and the 2nd desert doesnt overlaps, which chracters i would use the after or the before and where?

Ilendil

Reaction score
Originally posted by KiLLeR-CrAzY
im trying to overlap a tezt , Evil Desert , its the name of a map but i cant overlap it well . this is what i was doing:
||E|vil Desert ||E|vil |Desert but it doesnt overlaps correctly, evil overlaps on desert and the 2nd desert doesnt overlaps, which chracters i would use the after or the before and where?

Check your private messages, I replied to your PM.

K

KiLLeR-CrAzY

ya and im getting confused, i colored my players with guedit, and played the map to see if they were working, then i opened the map and the colors were gone, played it and were gona, i think i cant open it after put them am i right?

Ilendil

Reaction score
Once you put the colors, they will go away if you open the map in Staredit... GUEdit is meant for finalizing your map.

frie2

Maxis & Sim Moderator
Reaction score

Well its really quite easy to make overlapping text. Goto campaigncreations.com and download StarCraft X-tra Editor. It's pretty self explanatory...

D

DrPimp

Ez to overlap

all ya gotta do is put this  infront of the first word and put spaces equal to the length of the word then put this  and write the same word (or diffrent) after it;)

J

jiblitin

how do you use ISOM?

can someone explain to me in plain english how to use ISOM?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.