[Contest] Official Spell Contest #1

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
3. Well, yes. But, if there's two spells with the same score, the one that is will mysteriously get another extra point out of thin air...
In theory, you would want to put all advantages on your side.

Then again, I've also seen submissions that didn't even work... why people actually submitted those is beyond me.

Personally, if I got a spell that reads:
Tooltip: my Spell
Tooltip extended: It's cool
that would be last in the list.
There's not exactly a need to come up with "does PI * sqrt(shoe size - Intelligence) damage for 1 / Inverse(distance to center of map) / 0.5 mana per second" either... it can be simpler.

Seriously though, you're actually not sure if your tooltip should tell what the spell is doing?

On a completely unrelated note, I'm in the... um... "lucky" position to see the director's cut of this thread.

Anyway, most to all posters so far worry way too much over way too little, instead of just making some cool spell.

Read up on the previous spell or Hero contests.
They all started exactly like this one, real crappy.
In the end, as time advanced, we got some nice spells or Heroes or both, and no one cared anymore.

The threads have been cleaned up, Hulk3 did some grading, and we lived happily ever after.
And had some spells worth the name. Not all of them of course, but that's just normal.

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
>>But I if I don't know anything about that spell?
You spell need to especially made for this contest.

>>My spell needs to be MUI? I thought MUI is just "a plus"
Not "needs" but "better".
There will be no disqualification for non-MUI spell submission.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
Okay, then. Thanks for the answers.
I'll join this Contest ASAP after I've found a good idea.

~GaLs~ said:
>>But I if I don't know anything about that spell?
You spell need to especially made for this contest.

I was referring to a spell which happens to be similar to what I submitted to this contest. I never watch any spell contest, so I don't know if that kind of spell has ever been made.

Demonwrath

Happy[ExtremelyOverCommercializ ed]HolidaysEveryon
Reaction score
Simple question, how much to models count for?

Like if I were to get some custom models and add that to my spells effects would I get plus marks? Just wondering...

And I would like to join :D

Oh...and is there a limit to how long the spell channels =P

Demonwrath

Happy[ExtremelyOverCommercializ ed]HolidaysEveryon
Reaction score
Okay...I will make a spell that channels for 30 minutes...

yet you have to sit throughthe whole thing because it ends with soemthing cool :p

Best waste of time EVER XD

Prediter[BuB

Reaction score
Heres my spell. This is the first real spell that ive put effort into so please dont bash me to harshly =D

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
You misquoted, emjlr3. But my point was not that I was overconfident, just to display my readiness in joining this contest.

Would you rather have me judge or what?

And here's a vague idea I've had:
Corpse Barrage
Whilst channeling, levitates nearby corpses and flings them at target area dealing damage to all units nearby them upon exploding.
Or...
Whilst channeling, levitates corpses in target area and flings them at enemies near the caster, dealing damage to all units nearby them upon exploding.

Maybe I'll change it to minor damage and some sort of debuff that can stack.

0zaru

Learning vJASS ;)
Reaction score
>are you serius...?

I read the first thing that sayed Spell Contest and write Sig me in and ask a question, then I read the Fully Post and see the:

emjlr3 said:
However, what happens during this channel duration, or after it, is completely up to you.
sorry for asking that question :eek:

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
Heres my spell. This is the first real spell that ive put effort into so please dont bash me to harshly =D

Im saying this to be a good sport.

Take out map. Work on it. It leaks. Bad. Just take your time on it, you still have what, 1 week 5 days?

Then Re-Post it.

Get rid of leaks, and use loops. Just saying to be a good sport :)

And you stole meh idea XD

I was doing that with fire. Already done, but i can make a new spell in the time we have, and some, rawr.

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
MUI in GUI should count for points because it is possible to do.

I strongly disagree, we do not have access to locals.In some cases, its actually impossible in a more advanced spell with lots of variables, waits ECT. (Without aid of a MUI system )

@ Prediter[Bub

Agreed with above, there is a large amount of leaks, by removing them you may lose Multi Unit Incastiblity but it wont leak.

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
I strongly disagree, we do not have access to locals, local variables will fail when it comes to outside functinons only very simple GUI spells can be MUI that having no waits, ect.

Agreed, although a good spell should always be MUI. But i agree that MUI shouldn't take off points. Let Emjlr3 Decide.

Ohh, and i think i have the spell basis done, Creates Giant balls of Lightning/Fire/Ice/Darkness Around the caster that spin around and around, getting closer, and when they hit the caster, the explode, doing a massive blast.

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
Yeah Im almost done 116 tests to get the spell to work. and im about 60% thru, got to finsih the damage part of spell , throw in some effects..

I would make it MUI but I can;t use a system I didin't make so yeah.

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I strongly disagree, we do not have access to locals.In some cases, its actually impossible in a more advanced spell with lots of variables, waits ECT. (Without aid of a MUI system )

@ Prediter[Bub

Agreed with above, there is a large amount of leaks, by removing them you may lose Multi Unit Incastiblity but it wont leak.

That completely wrong. Just because we don't have Locals doesn't mean we can't have MUI.

emjlr3 did you say that GUI automatically gets a lower score than Jass?

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
You misquoted, emjlr3. But my point was not that I was overconfident, just to display my readiness in joining this contest.

Would you rather have me judge or what?

And here's a vague idea I've had:
Corpse Barrage
Whilst channeling, levitates nearby corpses and flings them at target area dealing damage to all units nearby them upon exploding.
Or...
Whilst channeling, levitates corpses in target area and flings them at enemies near the caster, dealing damage to all units nearby them upon exploding.

Maybe I'll change it to minor damage and some sort of debuff that can stack.

:( (my quote)

that idea is too cool, id like to see it in action. then I'd still need another judge

That completely wrong. Just because we don't have Locals doesn't mean we can't have MUI.

emjlr3 did you say that GUI automatically gets a lower score than Jass?

gui can have locals, period, its not hard
listen here all ye bitching about GUI/JASS grading
if you can use JASS, its far superior, use it, stop worrying, nuff said
if you can't, it does not matter whether you get more or less points, because you could not get them anyway, and if you are quiting the contest due that that minor issue, you don't deserve a response

chew on this riddle, for a moment, if you can
say I have 2 spells, 1 in JASS and 1 in GUI
I take the JASS spell and leave it as is, and take the GUI spell and convert it to custom script in the WE, and stick them back next to each other, what do I now have?

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
emjlr3 you should post a spell too and have it go into the public poll but not really count.

I am a mod, I can do things like that, you however, cannot
mine was in good fun, your's was just you being an ass
stop it

*re-read the spoiler :)

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
I'm glad you like my idea, emjlr3. Which makes more sense, though: choosing where you levitate the corpses from, or choosing where they fly toward?

emjlr3 said:
chew on this riddle, for a moment, if you can
say I have 2 spells, 1 in JASS and 1 in GUI
I take the JASS spell and leave it as is, and take the GUI spell and convert it to custom script in the WE, and stick them back next to each other, what do I now have?
Failure, that's what it is.

Edit: Anyone else notice that the "show" button has become a "vote now" button?
Edit again: Damn... it went away after I edited.

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
>>nuff said
LoL!

>>what do I now have?
nothing

@hulky
>>WIPs are allowed and encouraged.
What if I dont ..?

Edit - Maybe just a lil server crash? ... I feel laggy when foruming here..

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
I'm glad you like my idea, emjlr3. Which makes more sense, though: choosing where you levitate the corpses from, or choosing where they fly toward?

Failure, that's what it is.

Edit: Anyone else notice that the "show" button has become a "vote now" button?
Edit again: Damn... it went away after I edited.

choosing where you grab them would prolly take more skill (giving u the option of grabbing more or less, dependent upon where you target), though the other would prolly be more chaotic :)

Count me in! RawR! :cool:

After looking at all your posts in the thread I'm a little scared rofl, *trembles with fear*

don't be, it is all in good fun :)

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.