Question on ExtProtect...

Scam_ent

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the program (ExtProtect, in case some fool forgot to read the subject line but just saw my name and decided to open it) only stops the map being opened in World Edit., not Warcraft III, but I thought I should make sure, just in case.

Cam

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Correct. The whole idea behind having a map-protector is to stop your map being opened up in the editor, while allowing it to be played by anyone.

Scam_ent

Reaction score
cool thought so. Just thought I'd make sure (best to be on the safe side, after all)...

while ur here, a couple more questions, darg...

firstly, and once more just making sure, although i'm pretty certain I know the answer: Skinning a model is going to involve importing files, yes? so best to wait 'til I have Frozen Throne?

Secondly: If I have imported music, and I send my map to someone else, will they be able to play the music? or is it directly linked to the files imported? (once again, I think I know the answer)...

Thanx

Somethine else
is keeping you
keeping you from knowing me
and something else will keep you locked away...
-The Superjesus "Enough to Know"

Cam

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
1) It does, but you can safely do this now. Perhaps I should have been a little more specific before. Importing DATA files now may cause some problems when converting your map to TFT format. Importing GRAPHICS files is ok to do at any time.

Skins are in blp format, try extracting some blp files which don't look like buttons. I'll see if I can post the program I use to convert blp files into tga files, for viewing in graphics programs.

2) Imported music physically imports the music into your map. Thus your map is a self-contained archive, and can be used by anyone. If you're not sure about this yourself, try importing some music in the sound editor, and then save your map and open it up with WinMPQ. You'll find that your music is found in the directory "war3imported\".

Scam_ent

Reaction score
Exellent...
Do they all need to be used together?

Cam

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
does what need to be used together? the programs? no don't think so. all you have to do is

- extract a blp file and convert it to tga

- edit it as you please

- convert it back to blp format and stick it in your map

Scam_ent

Reaction score
So if I extract a file (say, skin for high elf male) as a .blp, then use er....image extractor? to convert to .tga, then paint it, then use the same program to change it back, then put it in my map, will it make all high elf males in my map have that skin?

there may b many more question on this...

Cam

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
yep you got it! although i think image extractor does the extraction of the file for you.

wc3 viewer looks like an easier program to use, I just looked at it then and it seems really intuitive to figure out.

note: i've never done skinning myself before, I am just explaining things from various pieces of information that I have read and pieced together. Plus I'm using logic to figure a few things out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.