Spire's Question Thread!(Generous with rep ^^)

S

spiremk

Ok... I'm currently doing a siege type map, and since I have tons of stuff to do and to figure out, I reckon that I'll start one thread just for all the stuff I need to ask.

I'll give this thread a start... Here are 2 problems.

1. I have a skill called Storm. It is based off stampede but I changed the beasts into cyclones, so it looks as if typhons are passing through. However, a storm wouldnt be a storm without lightning would it? So... I need methods to randomly generate a lightning or Moonson-like effect around the area where Storm is cast. It shouldnt aim units; it should act as a decorative effect.

2. This one's pretty simple. I'm naming a skill called Barrier of Wind with 4 levels. It is supposed to slow down opponent's attack and movement speed and is supposed to act like an aura. Is there any spell based off this?

As for the rep... (look at the thread title)... =D

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
For the first one, just have a trigger that creates a dummy unit at the target point. Give the dummy the monsoon ability to be cast at the target point as well, that does no damage. Also, make sure the monsoon dummy ability lasts for the duration of your spell.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Not sure if this is possible. But for #1:
If you can get an area around (Casting Unit) and then pick a random point within this area, and finally create a special effect at that point.

Otherwise you might want to try using dummy units.
Create one at ground level, and one at very, very high level. And order the flying one to attack the ground-one with a lightning -spell attack.
And place these dummy units randomly around the caster.
I'd say the first one is easier, though. Unless you want the lightning to hit units around the caster.
If you DO want the lightning to hit units, just create a flying dummy unit and order it to cast a lightning spell on (Picked unit). You COULD make the spell deal no dmg. That way it will look terrifying but harmless (until the tornados hits you. :p)

Code:
    Events 
      A unit begins casting a spell
    Conditions
    Actions
      Unit Group - Pick every Unit within 800 range of (Casting unit) matching conditions Owner of (Matching unit) is an enemy of Owner of (Triggering Unit) and do Multiple Actions
      Actions
        Set Temp_Point = (Position of (Picked unit))
        Create 1 Flying_Dummy_Unit for Neutral Extra at Temp_Point
        Add a 3 second expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        Order (Last Created unit) to Orc_FarSeer - Chain lightning (Picked Unit)
        Custom script - call RemoveLocation(Udg_Temp_Point)

..Or something similiar. :p

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
2. Endurance aura buffs both attack speed and movement speed. Just use negative values instead of positive ones.

S

spiremk

Tinki: Ok... I want an Monsoon-like effect, but I want the Chain Lightning animation.(Monsoon looks stupid) How do I set on doing that?

Exide: My lightning effect shouldnt be hitting or damage any units. Since the range of Storm is pretty far, the Dummy-attacking-Dummy effect wouldn't work; it would look as if all the lightning was coming from above the triggering unit...

ayumilove

Youtube account suspended! youtube.com/ayumilove8
Reaction score
in order to get negative values, shift + mouse click on the value, then the menu will open

to rep someone, you need to do the reply the email confirmation, see your title

you dont attack, you make a dummy ability that cast a spell on a dummy unit, which
does not damage

Exide

Reaction score
2. Endurance aura buffs both attack speed and movement speed. Just use negative values instead of positive ones.

Question!: :p
-Wouldn't that only work with allies? Since the Endurance aura affect allies and not enemies. If you negate the effect, wouldn't it make your allies slower and not the enemies?

EDIT:

"Exide: My lightning effect shouldnt be hitting or damage any units. Since the range of Storm is pretty far, the Dummy-attacking-Dummy effect wouldn't work; it would look as if all the lightning was coming from above the triggering unit..."

-Well, as I said. You could make the lightning deal no damage (or 1 damage). And by making the units fly really high, it would look like the lightning is coming from above. But then again, I believe my first idea would work best. But I'm not sure if it's possible or not. :p

S

Sunny_D

Question!: :p
-Wouldn't that only work with allies? Since the Endurance aura affect allies and not enemies. If you negate the effect, wouldn't it make your allies slower and not the enemies?

not if you change the "Targets allowed" field in the ability editor. you can check the field "Enemies" as well ;)

Exide

Reaction score
That's what I thought.
Thought it might be worth mentioning too. :p

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
Tinki: Ok... I want an Monsoon-like effect, but I want the Chain Lightning animation.(Monsoon looks stupid) How do I set on doing that?
You can just change the lightning effects in the object editor to that of your liking? Or change some of the animations the monsoon ability will do? I've never done any of this before, so don't expect a "wow" end result.. Still try it though.

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
Question!:
Geez... you right. Well then we can allways trigger the movement speed, and create a attack speed slower based of berserk.

OR
Modify this field for endurance aura:
Data - Targets Allowed - Enenmy, ground :rolleyes:

I

IKilledKEnny

Q: 1

Code:
Untitled Trigger 001 Copy
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to <<Anility>>
    Actions
        Set Bolean = True
        Set Point = (Position of (Casting unit))
        Region - Center <<Region>> on Point
        Wait 10.00 seconds
        Set Bolean = False

Code:
Untitled Trigger 002
    Events
        Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    Conditions
        Bolean Equal to True
    Actions
        Set Point = (Random point in (<<Region>>))
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Center of (Playable map area)) <<Special Effect>>
        Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)

S

spiremk

Nice ability triggers. As for the actual testing, I havent got down it; I'm very busy with school.

Ayumilove: I apparently haven't received any mail(or it must have been deleted automatically). Is there anyway of resending the confirmation email? I cant find any link that gives him that opportunity.

As for the rest of you posters... I'll promise to rep for the best idea/help when i get this mail thingy solved.

Here's another problem:
The hero I'm making happens to have run out of icons. The wind icons suck(especially the tornado), so I wish to request for nicer custom icons related to WIND. Since wc3sear.ch is now down and dead, this is probably the only way i know of getting custom icons. Remember, to deal with WIND.

Thanks.(I'll tell you guys when i can start to rep...Sorry for the delay ^^)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
www.hiveworkshop.com

they are the new wc3sear
although they haven't fully transfered all of the recources from wc3sear yet and therefore there are about 10 icons atm. but keep checking there ^^

S

spiremk

Here's another skill that is free-for-all(FFA).

I'm lacking the ideas for skills right now... so I need some help.

I need a skill for a mage-hero which specializes in winds, gales, tornados... blah blah blah.... You get the idea.

BTW, does anyone know how to make the forum resend me the activation email?

Master

Thou shall be helped by...The Black Adder!
Reaction score
Search in your junk e-mail folder, it is probably there, or if no, ask on the e-mail registration thread in the Bugs/Feauters/Forums Questions Forum.

How about an Impale with Tornados that swirl the units in the air (air time)?

S

spiremk

Another question... My email problem should be solved by now.. so I'll start the rep =)..

I'm doing a spell that deals damage to enemies and replenishes 75% of the damage dealt to the target back to the caster. Here are my triggers:

Code:
ManaSteal Initialization
    Events
        Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Sin Steal
        (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to <Hero>
    Actions
        Set Caster = (Casting unit)
        Set Target = (Target unit of ability being cast)
        Set Level = (Level of (Ability being cast) for (Casting unit))
        Set ManaReplenish = ((SinHLevel x 100) x ((1 / 4) x 3))
        Wait 0.25 game-time seconds
        Unit - Set mana of (Casting unit) to ((Mana of (Casting unit)) + ((Real(ManaReplenish)) + 0.00))

The above trigger doesn't seem to work... However, when I exchanged (Real(ManaReplenish)) to a number(eg. 100) it works... Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind this and the methods to set this right?

S

Sunny_D

remove the wait and replace (casting unit) with (triggering unit). casting unit gets corrupted after waits, cant tell you the reason, i dont know JASS... has to do with new function... ^^

in general: dont use waits wherever possible. use (triggering unit) wherever possible. ;)

EDIT: oh, i see now you stored them in variables already. so use your variables on the other functions as well. remove the wait anyway...

Reaction score
If the spell has multiple targets (not just one), the (Target unit of ability being cast) doesn't work.

S

spiremk

OK... I need some really tough help here...

I've been experimenting with this spell over the last 2 hours but I just can't seem to fix it....

Problem: This is a spell based off FlameStrike. It is called Soul Steal, has a casting range of 600 and has 4 levels. This skill has a chance of adding 0.5x(Level of SS) to all 3 attributes, depending on the number of enemies that get hit by this spell... Each enemy targetted grants an additional 2% chance to get the permanent stat increase.

Here's the trigger:

Skill_Level = Skill level of Soul Steal
Enemy_Count = No. of enemies hit by the Soul Steal(FlameStrike) with a range of 600 from the casting point
Percent_Counter = Meant to be a counter set at 100%. It's set at 50, but as you can see, each enemy increases Enemy_Counter by 1, so its 1/50 chance per enemy for increasing stats.

Code:
SoulSteal Initialization
    Events
        Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    Conditions

(Ability being cast) Equal to Soul Steal (Sin)
        (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to <Hero> (Player Hero)
    Actions
        Set Skill_Level = (Level of (Ability being cast) for (Triggering unit))
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 600.00 of (Target point of ability being cast)) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                If ((Owner of (Picked unit)) Equal to Player 12 (Brown)) then do (Set EnemyCount = (EnemyCount + 1)) else do (Do nothing)
        Set Percent_Counter = 50
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                EnemyCount Less than or equal to Percent_Counter
                EnemyCount Greater than 0
            Then - Actions
                Hero - Modify Strength of (Triggering unit): Add (Skill_Level x (1 / 2))
                Hero - Modify Agility of (Triggering unit): Add (Skill_Level x (1 / 2))
                Hero - Modify Intelligence of (Triggering unit): Add (Skill_Level x (1 / 2))
            Else - Actions
                Do nothing
        Wait 0.50 game-time seconds
        Set EnemyCount = 0

I really need help on this one... Anyone who knows(or is good at AOE-spells like FlameStrike) pls HELP!

Thanks... =)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.