The Ability Idea Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheonixashes

Those who misplace trust in gods learn their fate.
Reaction score
More ideas...
Bumpish?

I'll just list some of them now.

Alliance

Elune's Sanctum (Night Elf)
The hero creates a ward at the target point. If cast on a unit, the ward goes along with the unit. The ward heals 1% HP/second, and every 10 seconds, deals a X damage Starfall to all enemy units. The ward lasts 30 seconds.

Level 1: 20 damage Starfall
Level 2: 30 damage Starfall
Level 3: 40 damage Starfall

Malfunction (Gnome)
Casts on a target enemy mechanical unit. The mechanical unit runs wild, attacking anything in its path. If the mechanical unit is a seige weapon that can attack ground, it randomly attacks the ground in a 1000 AoE radius from where it stands. After 30 seconds, if its HP is less than 33%, it explodes for X damage in a 400 radius. Malfunction lasts 20 seconds, or until workers can repair it.

Level 1: Explosion deals 100 damage.
Level 2: Explosion deals 150 damage.
Level 3: Explosion deals 200 damage.

Stone Strike (Dwarf)
Every attack has a X% chance to turn a unit into stone. If a unit is striken with it, the unit is stunned for X seconds. If it takes more than 100 damage in the time, then the unit will shatter. On heroes and units above level 8, it will only deal 100 damage.

Level 1: 2% chance to stun a unit for 5 seconds.
Level 2: 4% chance to stun a unit for 6 seconds.
Level 3: 6% chance to stun a unit for 7 seconds.

Duel to the Death (Human)
The target hero and the casting hero stop whatever they are doing and light up. Units cannot attack the heroes at this time. After a couple of seconds, a move called Finishing Blow appears on both heroes. Whomever presses Finishing Blow first deals X damage. If any of the heroes are under 15% HP, then the hero is automatically killed. When using this ability, every other unit stops. Finishing Blow has no hotkey.

Level 1: Win: 100 damage. Loss: 100 damage.
Level 2: Win: 150 damage. Loss: 75 damage.
Level 3: Win: 200 damage. Loss: 50 damage.

Naaru's Light (Draenei)
The hero starts glowing, and every attack that the hero makes will reduce the enemy's armor by 5, and has a 5% chance to rain crystal shards. Crystal Shards rain randomly in one wave in the area, with X shards and X damage. Lasts 20 seconds, when finished, it automatically rains Crystal Shards. Shards deal 50 AoE damage.

Level 1: 5 shards and 20 damage.
Level 2: 8 shards and 30 damage.
Level 3: 11 shards and 40 damage.

Horde

Tribal Fury (Orc/Tauren/Troll)
The hero calls out to his tribe, unleashing a stampede of warriors. The warriors, when they reach a target, stop and attack before moving on. The warriors automatically have pillage and deal X damage. Summons X warriors. Warriors can only go in the direction that the hero asked them to, and can go right through allied units. The warriors disappear around 500 units after the last target. Warriors are in the form of Grunts, Tauren, or Headhunters.

Level 1: Summons 4 warriors that deal around 30 damage when they hit a target.
Level 2: Summons 7 warriors that deal around 40 damage when they hit a target.
Level 3: Summons 10 warriors that deal around 50 damage when they hit a target.

Undying Avarice (Undead)
The hero casts a spell on himself, bestowing an aura to all his troopos for 30 seconds. The aura, called Avarice Aura, gives all units the passive ability Pillage, and on death, the unit is automatically turned into a skeleton warrior, but leaves a corpse. The Aura lasts X seconds.

Level 1: Aura lasts 20 seconds.
Level 2: Aura lasts 30 seconds.
Level 3: Aura lasts 40 seconds.

Corrupted Passion (Blood Elf)
The hero activates this, which drains X HP and Mana per second, but increases Attack Speed, Attack Damage, and HP Regeneration. When the spell is active, the hero has a 1% chance to gain a 20 second bloodlust.

Level 1: Drains 10 HP and Mana per second.
Level 2: Drains 7.5 HP and Mana per second.
Level 3: Drains 5 HP and Mana per second.

Dark Aura (Undead)
Passive Aura. All units that come within range have a X% chance to spread blight on the ground they are standing in, every second. Note: All the units, altogether have a X% chance to spread blight. Not X% chance for each unit.

Level 1: 1% chance to spread a small amount of blight.
Level 2: 1.5% chance to spread a little bit larger amount of blight.
Level 3: 2% chance to spread a medium amount of blight.

Invisible Presence (Troll)
The hero makes himself invisible for X seconds, and he can attack, move, and cast spells. However, if he is hit by a Area of Effect spell, he will be revealed.

Level 1: Turns invisible for 5 seconds.
Level 2: Turns invisible for 10 seconds.
Level 3: Turns invisible for 15 seconds.

Yeah, I only did this to bump. I will update this as well, however.

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Okay....I'm refreshed with ideas, especially after a few weeks:

Swooping Scythe:
The hero runs around in circles 5/6/7 times in an area of 400/450/500 rapidly, dealing 25/30/35 damage with each perfect circle to those who are in the radius of the attack.

Freezing Spray:
The hero shoots out a spray of cold ice, dealing 50/70/90 initial damage to the damaged targets and slowing them down by 10%/12%/14%. Effect lasts for 10/13/16 seconds.

Viper's Sting:
The hero jabs a target with the stibg if a viper, dealing 8/16/24 bonus damage to the base attack and poisoning the target, dealing 5/7/9 damage over time for 10/15/20 seconds.

Decomposion:
The hero makes a nearby corpse decompose, creating a cloud of bacteria and poison in an area of 400/425/450. If a target runs into the effect radius, it wll suffer 2/4/6 damage per second. Lasts for 60 seconds.

Corpse Explosion:
The hero makes a nearby corpse explode, dealing 50%/75%/100% of the corpse's base hitpoints when it was alive in a radius of 300.

Skeletal Fury:
The hero channels dark energy, which will only take place when there are corpses surround the hero. Every second, a skeletal warrior is raised from a corpse, having 200 hitpoints, 13-14 damage, and 2 armor. The hero stops channeling when all corpses in an area of 900 are used up.

Explosion:
The hero pounds the ground with extreme force, causing a series of explosions to occur in a radius of 900/950/1000, each explosion deals 50/60/70 damage in an ara of 400. Causes 1/2/3 explosions per second and the effects will last for 5/5/6 seconds.

I have to go now...my brother is bugging me...but I'll be back ;).

pheonixashes

Reaction score
Wow. That was rather fast.

It seems that I have brought back this thread from the dead.

I will continue to edit my posts.

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Yeah, you did Phoenixashes :). But anyways, more to come:

Chains of Blood:
The hero wraps several targets in chains covered in blood, making the afflicted targets completely immobile. Every second, the blood strangles the target, dealin 1/2/3 damage per second, but once damage has been done, it will double each time. Lasts for 5/6/7 seconds.

Bloodly Shackles:
The hero wraps a target unit in a shackle covered in blood, making the target immobile, but can still attack. Every second, the target will take 5/6/7 damage. If the target dies with the effect, the shackles will aqquire a new target within the range of 1000/1100/1200, dealing the same damage until the effect ceases. Lasts for 15 seconds.

Serpent Strike:
The hero strikes the target with the strength of a serpent, dealing 10/12/14bonus damage to the target while also making it immobile for 3/3.5/4 seconds. Has a 5%/10%/15% chance to poison the target, dealing 3/4/5 damage for 10 seconds.

War Tribute:
The hero sacrifices an allied unit under his/her control, killing the target but gaining experience equal to 20%/40%/60% of the unit's hit points.

pheonixashes

Reaction score
Now, I'm going to do random abilities based off of copyrighted movie, book and game titles! Yay!

Reign of Chaos - Warcraft.
The hero rises up into the air, and rains meteors randomly within the area. Meteors damage any unit on hit, and at the end of the channeling spell, a great meteor rains upon the area, dealing damage to all units (excluding the caster) and destroying any plant life in the immediate area, including: Changing the affected terrain to dirt, Destroying all doodads in the area, and killing all trees.

Level 1: Meteors deal 25 damage each, Final Meteor deals 150 damage to all units in area.
Level 2: Meteors deal 40 damage each, Final Meteor deals 250 damage to all units in area.

The Burning Crusade - WoW.
The hero summons three great units, which serve a special purpose. If any of them die at the end of the timer, the cooldown is set to 300 seconds. If not, the cooldown is 180 seconds. At the end of the timer, the demonic warriors explode in a fiery fashion, burning all enemy units in a 1000 radius for 60 seconds. Levels increase the power of the warriors.

Unit No. 1: Doom Guard model. All-around warrior. Has (2 of Thanatos_820's demonic abilities, on his permission).
Unit No. 2: Pit Lord model. Tanker. Has Cleave, War Stomp, Bash, and Critical Strike.
Unit No. 3: Eredar model. Caster. Has Bloodlust, Rain of Fire, Finger of Pain, and Flame Strike.

The Flood - Halo.
The hero creates a pool of water, and which spawns units every second. Every melee unit that comes in contact with the pool will have its movement speed and attack rate slowed down, and when the pool ends, if the caster is interrupted or stops, all melee units around it will take X damage. Units spawned include: Level 1 Water Elementals, Murloc Tiderunners.

Level 1: Units take 100 damage on end.
Level 2: Units take 150 damage on end.
Level 3: Units take 200 damage on end.

The Demon Soul - Warcraft: War of the Ancients Trilogy
The hero afflicts the target unit with a demon's soul; its maximum HP, MP, armor, and attack increases, but it loses 10 HP/MP a second due to hunger for power. When the afflicted unit kills another unit, it regains 1/4 the killed unit's max HP.

Level 1: Affliction lasts 15 seconds.
Level 2: Affliction lasts 30 seconds.
Level 3: Affliction lasts 45 seconds.

The Eternity Code - Artemis Fowl
The hero gives the target hero an Eternity Code. The unit is unable to do anything except move around. An allied unit must attack it for a certain amount of damage for the code to wear off; however, it must be an ally.

Level 1: Must deal 100 damage to wear off.
Level 2: Must deal 150 damage to wear off.
Level 3: Must deal 200 damage to wear off.

S

Scourgey

I've read through most of these skills (not all I admit), the problem with almost all of these skills are they aren't that original and are almost all 1 hit wonders. They almost all of them fit in the attack/defend/heal mentality and if I want to create something like that, I would keep them simple and basic to avoid confusing new players with the big details of exactly how the skill functions, I mean some of these skills have damage and then about several debuffs!

What I have seen very little are utility skills, (and what I require more of in my map). By this I mean, skills that are useful outside the above, which require other factors to be effective where on their own they are not very powerful, but combined with other skills they can be. They don't necessarily need to be that complicated, I just want a concept.

Some skills that I made in my map that are examples of utility.
- A body switching skill
- Creates a walll that can body block.
- Create a immobile ward with 25% life that life siphons a random nearby enemy unit life (if in range), if it reaches full life it spawns a minion.

If you guys can think of skills like that I would be grateful.

pheonixashes

Reaction score
Well, I've done a couple that involve Body Swtiching, making Walls, and such.
But the problem with your ideas is that there is only so much that you can do with it.

My body switching skill (Illusion Shift, see my first post) was the most original I could think of without ripping of DotA.

I've tried to innovate the walls by having them deal damage... but what else can you do with it? Burn/Poison/Slow units?

If you'd like to see more of those moves... I can try. I edit my posts now and then, so just check up on it once in a while.

The immovable ward is very original. The only ability I had ever come up with that was close to it is a unit that gets bigger in size as it gains more HP.

M

mikke95

Ehm i've a idea to your spell ''Dark Magic''
Then the demon dies all the units he have ate come out of him with 50% of their lives. :)

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I got this idea from Starcraft: Make an Arbiter-type unit that will make nearby units invisible. The trigger part looks like this:

Code:
Invisibility 1
    Events
        Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        ((Picked unit) has buff Invisible ) Equal to True
                    Then - Actions
                            If - Conditions
                                (Unit-type of (Picked unit)) Not equal to Arbiter
                            Then - Actions
                                Unit - Add Permanent Invisibility to (Picked unit)
                            Else - Actions
                    Else - Actions

Code:
Invisibility 2
    Events
        Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                        ((Picked unit) has buff Invisible ) Equal to False
                        (Unit-type of (Picked unit)) Not equal to Dark Templar
                        (Unit-type of (Picked unit)) Not equal to Observer
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Remove Permanent Invisibility from (Picked unit)
                    Else - Actions

pheonixashes

Reaction score
This thread is pretty much dead, but I'll bump it one last time...

Nice abilities Tinki3.

Firaja
The hero conjures an inferno in a 600 AoE radius, burning all units within it. Burning units take damage, have their movement speed slowed, and have reduced attack based on their armor. After 30 seconds of channeling, the inferno sucks everything in to the center, then combusts to deal 100 damage in a 200 AoE radius, except the hero. Minimum speed is 50.

Level 1: Units take .5x their armor in damage every second, 1x their armor in attack power is reduced, and are slowed 20 points for every point of armor they have.
Level 2: Units take 1x their armor in damage every second, 1.5x their armor in attack power is reduced, and are slowed 25 points for every point of armor they have.
Level 3: Units take 1.5x their armor in damage every second, 2x their armor in attack power is reduced, and are slowed 30 points for every point of armor they have.

Blizzaja
The hero summons a massive wave of frost behind him, which freezes all enemy units in their tracks. Units frozen will take X damage a second to their movement speed, attack rate, and armor depending on how long they are frozen. A few seconds after the frost wave is summoned, the units become unfrozen. The status decreases last for 30 seconds. All units hit by the frost wave will take 150 damage.

Level 1: Every second, 3% of their move speed, attack rate, and armor is eliminated for 30 seconds. Units are affected by this for 2 seconds maximum.
Level 2: Every second, 5% of their move speed, attack rate, and armor is eliminated for 30 seconds. Units are affected by this for 4 seconds maximum.
Level 3: Every second, 7% of their move speed, attack rate, and armor is eliminated for 30 seconds. Units are affected by this for 6 seconds maximum.

Thundaja
Random lightning strikes rain around in a 1000 AoE radius around the channeling hero. Each lightning strike will stun a unit for 3 seconds, and cast Purge on the unit. After channeling for 30 seconds, the hero gains a 100% chance Purging effect on attack for 30 more seconds. Each lightning strike deals X damage.

Level 1: Thunder Strikes deal 50 damage each.
Level 2: Thunder Strikes deal 100 damage each.
Level 3: Thunder Strikes deal 150 damage each.

Holyja
The hero selects a target. If the target is Undead, it instantly kills it unless the target is a hero, to which it deals X damage. If it is not, it is instantly healed to full health. Then, for 40 seconds, all units entering the 600 AoE radius where the unit was either healed or killed with be healed or damaged for X% a second. A glyph is used to mark this area.

Level 1: If the target is an undead hero, it deals 17% of its current HP in damage. Afterwards, units will be healed/damage .5% in the area that was affected.
Level 2: If the target is an undead hero, it deals 34% of its current HP in damage. Afterwards, units will be healed/damage 1% in the area that was affected.
Level 3: If the target is an undead hero, it deals 50% of its current HP in damage. Afterwards, units will be healed/damage 1.5% in the area that was affected.

Not too original, but oh well.

Go Final Fantasy! Especially XII, that one rocks.

BTW, I highly doubt that I can make any of my pitched spells... ever.
I'm a thinker, not a creator. I suck at JASS and GUI, and I'm too lazy to learn it.

Yeah...

Super Shadow

Reaction score
External Slash or something.....

A cool ultimate move would be like

first -hero creates a circle radius around him (use some cool special affect circle like a mass teleport thing) but radius is pretty large like 500 all around but not to large

second- he does some cool charge up special affect like begins to burn or something

third- he blinks around hitting everyone in the circle really fast a couple of times each. They are all stunned so they cant do anything. He becomes invulnerable so he cant die on the slashing. I seen something like this it was swift attack by U.V. http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Spells&ID=187&sid=

fourth- he then jumps in the air and does a super splash attack like a giant fireball explosion (could also be other elements like ice explosion or lightning etcl

Fifth- he is blinked back where he was and becomes vunerable again and the units he hit and not stunned but are dizzied like a thunderclap.

Think its cool?:shades:

chanta45

Reaction score
Mark of the Spirit Hawk

Active Cast

This requires triggering but it could easily be done I think.

-Marks a unit for attacks by Spirit Hawks-

Duration: 10

Every 2 Seconds a Spirit Hawk is summoned 300-400 range away from the target, they dash into the unit, different spirit hawks result in different effects. (Random Chance for each hawk type)

Red: Stun for 1.5 seconds

Blue: Hits for 100 damage.

Yellow: Silence for 3 seconds.

And you could add whatever you like :p

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
I'm back with more ideas....as usual.

Dragon's Tribute:
The hero targets an enemy unit and an allied unit, both units exchange hitpoints while the enemy unit is damaged for 50/75/100 damage.

Loose Change:
The hero has a 5%/10%/15% chance to loot 15/30/45 gold when picking up an item, works only once per item.

Blazing Inferno:
The hero summons a circle which takes 5 seconds to complete, when the spell finishes, any unit in the area effect will burst in flames for 10 damage per half second. The effect of the inferno lasts for 15 seconds.

Inferno Trance:
The hero falls into a deep sleep, if an enemy unit comes within a radius of 300/400/500, it will be continually burned for 5/10/15 damage per second, but renders the hero vulnerable to all attacks and won't wake. The effect lasts for 10 seconds.

Oblivious Strike:
The hero strikes a unit, having a 30% chance to stun the target for 1/1.5/2 second(s).

Oblivion:
The hero causes units in an area of effect of 550 to forget their allies, causing them to become hostile to all players for 30 seconds.

Hell's Desire:
The hero picks out 2/4/6 enemy units and brings them toward the casting hero, each second, the unit will be damaged by 10/12/14 hitpoints. Range of the spell is 600, lasts until the targets come to a radius of 180 of the caster.

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Bump? New spells anyway.

Death Image
Conjures an image replicating death, temporary freezing nearby enemy units for 3/4/5 seconds. Doesn't work on Undead or Mechanical units and has a 10%/20%/30% chance to cause brain damage, draining 20/30/40 hitpoints and 10/15/20 mana.

Iron Armor
Produces an armor of iron which overlaps the hero's skin. Adds 2/4/6 armor to the hero while also having a 5%/10%/15% chance to reflect magical attack at the casting unit.

Gold Armor
Produces an soft armor of pure gold which overlaps the hero's skin. Adds 1/3/5 armor to the hero while also having a 15%/30%/45% spell effect/damage reduction.

Heroic Retrieval
The hero summons a holy companion which locks a target down to the ground, bounding it with the land as one. The holy companion has a 5%/10%/15% chance to steal 1 random item from the unit (If it has any). After 3 seconds, the bound unit is released once again.

Ultima Bulk
The hero stores a large amount of energy that is infused with the elements, increasing strength by 10/20/30 and having a 99% chance to execute a random elemental attack. Has a 33% chance to strike the target with the element of lightning, stunning the target for 1/2/3 second(s), has a 33% chance to strike the target with the element of fire, dealing 50/75/100 damage over 5/4/3 seconds, and has a 33% chance to strike the target with the element of frost, slowing the target by 10%/15%/20% for 5/5.5/6 seconds.

Triple Edge Trigrams:
Teleports the hero to automatically damage 3 targets, dealing 50/75/100 damage. If the damage units form a trigram (Triangle if you don't understand), all units in the middle will take 50/60/70 damage while dealing 25/30/35 bonus damage to the primary damaged unit.

Omega Flare:
Causes 3/5/7 flares to erupt from the ground each dealing 100/200/300damage with each blast that have caught enemy units.

Sousteal:
Targets a corpse and drains a soul from it, healing the hero for 25/50/75 hitpoint and 15/30/45 mana. Can also be held as buffs for later use. 3 max buffs.

Soulcrush:
If the hero has buffs that are enhanced with soul power, he/she may target 1 unit damage send the buffs at it, dealing 50/75/100 damage for each buff sent. Has a 5%/7%/9% chance to recieve 1 buff back and deal 10/20/30 bonus damage.

pheonixashes

Reaction score
Final Bump... Unless someone else posts.

Anti-Gravity
The hero is targeted as an air unit for the next X seconds.

Level 1: Lasts 4 seconds.
Level 2: Lasts 8 seconds.
Level 3: Lasts 12 seconds.

Outbreak
The target unit is infected with a disease, which spreads amongst any unit he attacks. Disease reduces the target's MAX HP by 5 every second. Drains for X seconds on the first unit, Y seconds on the infected units. Decrease wears off after 120 seconds.

Level 1: Drains for 15 seconds on first unit, 10 seconds on others.
Level 2: Drains for 20 seconds on first unit, 20 seconds on others.
Level 3: Drains for 25 seconds on first unit, 30 seconds on others.

Chronos Curse
Every time the target unit attacks, his attack speed is reduced by 5%. Minimum attack speed of X% of original attack speed. Lasts Y seconds.

Level 1: Minimum attack speed of 50%. Lasts 15 seconds.
Level 2: Minimum attack speed of 30%. Lasts 30 seconds.
Level 3: Minimum attack speed of 10%. Lasts 50 seconds.

Save
Every time the hero attacks, he has a X% chance to store the unit's HP, if it is more than the hero's current HP. Can only store 1 HP value at one time.

Level 1: Has a 5% chance to save HP.
Level 2: Has a 7.5% chance to save HP.
Level 3: Has a 10% chance to save HP.

Load
Used in conjunction with Save. The hero loads the stored HP, replacing his current HP. If the stored HP is lower than the hero's current HP, then it does nothing. If the saved HP is more than the hero's maximum health, then the hero is restored to full health.

Level 1: 1 second casting time.
Level 2: .5 second casting time.
Level 3: No casting time.

Adapt
The caster grows different adapations depending on the terrain. You fill the rest of this in with desired abilities. The caster automatically gains a bonus to his attack. (EX: Blight: Extra Heal on Blight. Grass: 50% more MP regen. Rock: +5 Defense, etc.)

Level 1: Extra 2 damage.
Level 2: Extra 5 damage.
Level 3: Extra 8 damage.

Reverse
The hero casts a buff on the taget unit, which changes all damage into health. Lasts X seconds.

Level 1: Lasts 3 seconds.
Level 2: Lasts 5 seconds.
Level 3: Lasts 7 seconds.

There. Enough utility spells for you? Not all of them are...

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.