Health 13 Year Old Girl Refuses Heart Transplant

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LONDON (AP) — A 13-year-old British girl who has undergone nearly a dozen surgeries in her young life has refused a heart transplant operation — a decision that may ultimately lead to her death.

Hannah Jones, who was diagnosed with leukemia and later a heart condition, told her parents and medical authorities that she would rather spend her remaining time at home than in the hospital. Health authorities have ceded to the decision after interviewing the girl.

"I've been in hospital too much — I've had too much trauma," Hannah Jones told Sky News on Tuesday. "I don't want this, and it's my choice not to have it."

Hannah was diagnosed with leukemia when she was 4 years old. Chemotherapy put her into remission but doctors then discovered she had cardiomyopathy, a serious disease where the heart muscle becomes swollen and sometimes fails.

--------------------

This was on the morning news and on the radio for a lot of the day today. I'm surprised it's not on the BBC website if it was on BBC Morning.
Either way. She's been fighting this illness all her life. And when she could've been cured, she refuses the transplant even though it means she will (probably) die.

Last edited by a moderator:

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
You have to understand that people have a psychological resistance. After fighting so long with this illness and spending so much time in hospital her resistance probably drained out and now all she wants is to have her family around. Also, keep in mind she is 13, and the stress she supported is way bigger than a normal child would resist to at that age.

I do not have any illness and I never experienced situations of immense stress, but my mother works in the medical area and I have seen many children with disabilities and illnesses so I pretty much know what life they have. As a child, I grew with those children because many times I was going to my mom's workplace, to not stay alone at home.

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
She should go on and take the operation.
I've lost a friend to leukemia, and I only knew about it after she collapsed in front of my own eyes.

I think that if she takes it, she wouldn't regret it at all. The Heart-transplant will most-likely lengthen her life by quite alot. Leukemia could be cured if you're fast enough, but if its too late then...

[/rant] >_>.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.