3 Questions: special effects for channel, etc.

Jonnycakes

Reaction score
I have 3 questions-any help will be appreciated, and, of course, +rep will be given to helpful answers:

1. SOLVED-I recently made a teleport spell that functions like a town portal, but can target any point on the map. The spell functions well, but the special effects are a little odd. When the unit uses the spell, but moves during the channel time, the special effects don't disappear. The town portal effect stays attached to the caster for the full 3 seconds of channeling, even if the channeling stops. Is there a gameplay constant or setting for channel that I can change for this?

The other thing is minor, but the special effect at the spell target is off from the unit if the unit can't be moved to the exact spell target location. Is there a way to find the location that the hero will be moved to if something is in the way?

EDIT: Question 1 is solved-used an altered version of blink per skyangel's suggestion.

2. I have several creep camps set up on my map, but their colors are not what I want them to be. Green creep camps are fine, but the medium yellow creep camp dots revert back to green (small) when the creeps respawn, even though the creep levels are enough to warrant a medium creep camp dot. Is there a way to fix this? Also, I have "boss" creep camps that each have a single level 10 neutral hostile hero. I want these camps to appear as red, but they are always green dots. EDIT: I did some further testing, and it turns out that creep camp colors are always green unless the creeps are preplaced. Still looking for a solution to this one...

3. I want to create a spell that fires a rocket at a location, damaging units in an AoE. I want the spell to be able to target anywhere on the map, and I don't want the rocket to move too fast. Also, the damage should be dealt when the rocket impacts, not before. (for those of you who play DotA, this is like Clockwerk's rocket spell) I tried basing this off of cluster rockets, but the rocket moves too fast for my liking. Is there a spell that I can base this off of, or do I have to channel/trigger it with a dummy unit for the rocket?

nandosman

Reaction score
1. Base your spell from Jaina's Ultimate: Mass Teleport and change Targets Alowed (remove everything).

2. Change max level of creeps to your unit relative levels, this can be made in Advanced->Gameplay Constants->Unit Maximum Level

3. Go to cluster Rockets options and change "Art - Missile Speed" to the value you preffer

Jonnycakes

Reaction score
1. Base your spell from Jaina's Ultimate: Mass Teleport and change Targets Alowed (remove everything).

2. Change max level of creeps to your unit relative levels, this can be made in Advanced->Gameplay Constants->Unit Maximum Level

3. Go to cluster Rockets options and change "Art - Missile Speed" to the value you preffer

1. Mass Teleport can only target units, regardless of what you change its Targets Allowed field to. I tried that already-Mass Teleport, Staff of Teleportation, and Scroll of Town Portal can only target units.

2. This changed nothing. When the game starts with pre-placed creeps, the colors for camps are correct. When the exact same creeps respawn, the colors are all green regardless of the creep level or what the creep camp icon color was before.

3. "Art-Missile Speed" doesn't affect how fast the rockets travel. I changed it to 10, fired the rockets across the map, and they got there equally as fast as when the missile speed was 700.

Thanks for trying, but none of your suggestions solve my problems.

nandosman

Reaction score
1. mmm then what about this:

you create a dummy spell with point target, and make it cast (with its animation) for X seconds, then create a dummy A in your unit position, and another dummy B in the target location, then make A cast Mass Teleportation to position of dummy B, then create a trigger that controls that if any order is isued to your unit, or if your unit is killed, then order dummy A to stop. What do you think? I can make a trigger if u want...

Jonnycakes

Reaction score
Well, that solution has potential except for one thing-the dummy that is being targeted would have to be targetable, meaning it couldn't have locust. I don't want a (selectable) unit to suddenly appear out of nowhere (it doesn't matter what the model file is if a player can select it) every time I cast the spell. The only issue is with special effects, not the actual function of the spell. I can trigger the effect on the caster if I really have to, but I would like to know if there is a way to do it otherwise.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
1. You could try doing what nandosman said but instead of creating a dummy unit and using Mass Teleportation, use an altered version of blink?

skyangel1234

Reaction score
1) Just like the dota pit lord's ultimate it will 100% send the unit back to the target place altough it get stun buff or what if it cast 100% get back but just only target unit and buildings.if want target ground just go edit this skill then remove the target allowed there(KNOW DOTA people easier understand)

Jonnycakes

Reaction score
Great, the blink worked pretty much perfectly! I also don't have to use timers just for some special effects and simple unit movement anymore... +rep. Any takers on the other questions?

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
clockerwerk's missile is definitely a unit (with locust), you can see its minimap icon as you fire it.

Jonnycakes

Reaction score
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't even have locust (I think you can select it and click on its 'face' to follow it). I was hoping there was an easier way that had almost the same effect.

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
you could always do a calculated wait O-o, cant think of an ideal ability right now, but find some ability that shoots a missile in a line and just wait the appropriate amount of time and then do actions, it'll take more work to be mui though

distance from point A to B divided by speed

Jonnycakes

Reaction score
Meh, it is not that important. If I really want the spell, I will probably just use a dummy unit for the missile. Question 2 really bothers me, though...I could use pre-placed dummy units so the level of the creep camp is set permanently, even when units respawn...but I would like the camp icons to disappear when the creeps all die (as in DotA). Is that possible?

Shura

Reaction score
For question 2 you could remove the dummy units when all the creeps are dead and create a new one when the creeps respawn.

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
clockwerk's cluster rocket spell is based on dummy unit.. you can actually click on the rocket while it is flying.. also with this spell, you can control where to send the rocket too..

cluster rocket is more like tinker's rockets in dota... you press the skill button, and it shoots out 2 rockets and hits the closest hero..

you need to make a flying dummy unit at position of triggering unit, and order that dummy to move to target point of ability and then order the dummy to suicide (skill)...

Jonnycakes

Reaction score
If I make the rocket skill, I will probably manually move the rocket to the target. 522 is a little slow for f rocket...I can make the spell myself no problem, but I was just wondering if it was possible without triggers.

As for creeps, I tried using dummies when the creeps respawn to 'set' their levels, but it still doesn't work. Creep camps seemingly always register as small unless they are preplaced, no matter what level/number of units are created.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.