6 Races in WC3?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
we're talking about the wc3 playable races... also, in the firs tpost, he specifies that the burning legion was ONE, and he needs another...

also about the wc3 story, the night elves were the first race, and there were a chosen few which worked with the well of eternity, then illidan somehow destroyed it, dont remember how, and that became the never ending storm (maelstrom). the night elves caught inside the explosion and drowned became naga, the ones that were caught drifted off and were sent off by the night elves, they became high elves and lost their purple tone from not using NE magic. then a new well was made and medivh dropped an acorn into the second well and the world tree grew out of it. :) i know my wc3 story very well.

also, a thing that not many people know is that the monoliths were actually real, the high elves put them around there cities to create a shield from magic so that they dont attract the burning legion. when they gave the magic to the humans and dalaran, then they attracted them and were constantly attacked if i remember...

i think the last race might have been the BROKEN drenai (which have lost most of the powers and are ugly (playable in TFT))

T

TheConclave

romek as far as i knonow illidan didnt destroy well of eternity he CREATED a second one -.- it was (mal)furion or someone i think that destroyd it o_O and the naga came to existance when the well of eternity impoloded around azhara and the highborne ( those whos now HE/BE/Naga ) the naga then vanished into the 'malestorm and ofrmed a new city. and the monoliths were also to protect quel'thalas from the troll attacks i think. and about second well: the world tree grew from there and it was ILLIDAN who dropped it. blame me if im wrong o_O i dont remember the wole lore

i think dranei is the final race too

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
romek as far as i knonow illidan didnt destroy well of eternity he CREATED a second one -.- it was (mal)furion or someone i think that destroyd it o_O and the naga came to existance when the well of eternity impoloded around azhara and the highborne ( those whos now HE/BE/Naga ) the naga then vanished into the 'malestorm and ofrmed a new city. and the monoliths were also to protect quel'thalas from the troll attacks i think. and about second well: the world tree grew from there and it was ILLIDAN who dropped it. blame me if im wrong o_O i dont remember the wole lore

i think dranei is the final race too

your mostly right i think, except i am certain that the monoliths are wrong (with you)

H34DhUnT3r

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
there is 7 or 8 (I think!) (drainei is undead), human, orc, undead, night elf, neutral, neutral passive, neutral hostile, neutral naga. I just looked and the neutrals might not be a race

ofc neutral isn't a race.. i mean it's not like you can choose to play with neutral passive or hostile or even naga..

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
THE FIRST ELVES WEREN'T NIGHT ELVES! :D They became Night Elves after the first Well of Eternity blew up. Before then, they were known as Kaldorei, LOOK IT UP!

And actually, I believe the person saying monoliths were used to protect the High Elf lands against Trolls were right. I think in WC2, you had to either destroy them (Horde side) or protect them (Alliance side) in one portion.

Playable races are as follows:
Regulars - Undead, Alliance, Night Elf, Horde
Broken races - Naga, Draenei

You CAN kinda include the Blood Elves as a Broken race, seeing as they do have a few units in TFT to replace the Human/Dwarf units the Alliance usually take over o_O And your entire army is Blood Elf.

But I don't really count it ^.^ After all, before TFT, those units still existed... As Alliance members o_O They just weren't used in the normal armies.

D

Dorian

Yeah, I know it's an old thread...

I'm going to go with Burning Legion and Chaos/Fel Orcs. For one, if you look at WoW, you'll notice that Blizz has this thing about making sure the two sides have a balanced number of races. This would put 3 races on each side of the conflict.

Good: Alliance, Night Elf, Orcs
Evil: Burning Legion, Scourge, Chaos/Fel Orcs

Following the story as presented in RoC with a few elements from the scrapped adventure game with Thrall:

Alliance: Pretty much as given, but the High Elves might have been their own race.

Orcs: As given with the labor camps, Thrall's exodus to Kalimdor, and alliance with the Tauren.

Chaos/Fel Orcs: When Grom, and a few of the surviving 'elders' that made the pact with the Burning Legion, turn away from the new path, they lead a large number of Orcs back into the service of the Burning Legion. When Thrall attempts to reign them in, the battle is inconclusive, and Thrall's forces flee to avoid destroying both sides. These Orcs then begin building an army and assaulting the southern lands of Lordaeron as the Scourge works in the northern parts.

This race is then separate from the 'normal' Orc race and is more like the Orcs from Warcraft 2 including their old allies, such as the Ogres and Forest Trolls. Where the 'New Orcs' have Tauren and 'Jungle' Trolls, the 'Old Orcs' have Ogres (that came with them from Nagrond, the southern grasslands of pre-destruction Draenor) and Forest Trolls (a race native to Azeroth that had been hunted mercilessly by the Humans and Dwarfs).

This idea was probably scraped due to the two races being too similar AND this race still being too similar to Alliance, since it was based on the Warcraft 2 Orcs, which were identical until Tier 3.

Scourge/Undead: As given, though probably less plot centric. Almost definitely not expected to be the core focus of any planned expansion in the early days. Most likely, the Scourge were going to be a tool of the Burning Legion, as they are anyway but in a slightly different manner. The method of creating undead was pioneered by Ner'zhul, a powerful shaman prior to the Legion's influence and foremost Warlock after, and Gul'dan, Ner'zhul's apprentice. The Dread Lords were most likely going to be the only masters of the Scourge, with the Lich King only being added in later to give them more plot and flesh out the race idea. The Death Knights were also most likely intended to be undead Orc Warlocks (as in Warcraft 2) rather than corrupted Humans but were changed when the Artha character was added.

Night Elves: As given. I doubt the Night Elves were changed all that much from the early concepts.

On the other hand, I also believe it is possible that the High Elves were going to be their own race. However, once actual story development was started, it became exceedingly difficult to separate High Elves from the Alliance. They needed a "replacement" race, someone suggested another form of Elves, and everyone says, "Oooooo, cool..." Then we magically have the Night Elves. If this thing with the High Elves did happen, it was pretty early on in the process. While I feel that this may have contributed to the design of the Night Elves, I believe they were probably created early enough that High Elves were never seriously considered as a player race.

Burning Legion: Sticking with their idea of having a race invade Azeroth, the Burning Legion would have formed the core cohesive force for the evil side of the war. Once actual game development got underway, they were probably scraped for balance reasons. It's would be nearly impossible to get such a powerful race of demons capable of destroying worlds reigned in enough to make a balanced player race without completely losing their cool factor and adding this "They aren't nearly as strong as the story says they are" feel to them.

In order of concept development, I think that the races were developed thus: Alliance, Fel Orcs (WC2 carryover), 'New' Orcs (originally formulated for Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans), Burning Legion, Night Elves, and finally Scourge (as their own race instead of sub-units of Fel Orcs).

They might have also considered adding Ninja Turtles as their own race, but the rights were too hard to come by at the time. I think I still have the Tips&Tricks article somewhere that detailed the Smurf race too...

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
it was definatly not Fel Orcs because they are WAY to simular to the Orcs, im pretty sure it was the Drenai, they are very unique and also, whoever said that drenai are undead, only Kil'Jaeden and Archimonde are... (they are drenai with the undead), they work for sargerus. The high elves, Naga and Nightelves were all Nigtelves when the well of eternity exploded and some nightelves sailed to kalimdor and lost thier moon powers, making them white (peach). others were taken under and became naga. the maelstrom is the result of this well of eternity. Illidan took some of the water from the well of eternity and poored it into a lake, making another one. Furion then put a tree seed (forgot the name) in and created the World Tree.

Demi666

Reaction score
I read on Infoceptor just now that WC3 originally had 6 races to pick between. I know that the Burning Legion was the fifth (The 4th actually), but what was the 6th?

well idk:p the races that exist prob: murlocs , dranei , blood elves , night elves , high elves , undead , orc , human , orc , dragons prob :D!!, hapy, gnoll, golems, troll, naga and so on.... the playable is:

Dranei,orc,undead,human,night elf,naga = 6 :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.