Reaction score
Ability Addition System​
By GeoffREAK

Updated Saturday, September 1, 2007 11:30 PM
Fixed Memory Leaks
Added Pictures
More Clarification

What does it Do?
Basically, when you pick up an item, it disappears and you gain an ability. If you already HAVE the ability, it will level it up for you. It uses GUI, and has a maximum total of 1000 spells.

How does it Work?
First, when you pick up an item, it checks how much charges that item has and uses that as an integer. It compares that integer to a Catalog which automatically adds the corresponding spell [or level it if you already have it]. Quite simple since all you have to do is make 2 things and change 2 things..

How do you Use it?
I made this system with simplicity in mind. All you have to make is:
  • A Spell
  • An Item to learn the Spell
  • A Hero to actually Learn the spell... :p
I will explain how to use it in 3 easy Steps.
REQUIREMENTS:
Ability Addition System [Located at the Bottem of the Post]
World Editor
STEP 1: The Spell

Alright, prepare yourselves for the most grueling... torturing part of this system. ACTUALLY MAKING THE SPELL! [Really scary music plays] NUUUUUUU!! :p

STEP 2: The Item

Ok, you need to make an item and make sure it is Perishable and is a Powerup! This is because this System will only be activated if the Manipulated Item-Class is Power Up.
Complete3.jpg
Next, set the Item Charges to 1 [Or 2 if it is your second spell, or 3 if it is your third... etc]
There you have it, 2nd step done :p

STEP 3: The Catalog

Next, open up the Trigger Editor and go to the Ability Catalog and there you can see 3 examples. But to clarify it, this is how it works.
First, set the variable ASCatalogAbility[This number has to correspond to the Item Charges, for more info see above] to the Ability.
Complete1.jpg
Then set the ASMaxLevel[This number also has to correspond to the Item Charges.] to the Maximum level of the spell. If you try to learn the spell after it hits it's Maximum Level, it will simply display a message that warns you about it.
Complete2.jpg
This is done so the System can pick out automatically what spells will be learnt/leveled from a specific item by using it's Charges. If you have done it right, then when your hero picks up an item, it will learn the spell. If it already HAS the spell, it will level it up for you.

ENJOY! :D

Trouble Shooter

Problem: I learnt my spell, but when I got the item again, the spell disappears! HELP MEH! :eek:
Solution: The MaxLevel wasn't properly set, if you hit the max level and tried leveling it up without setting the MaxLevel Variable in ASCatalog, it will remove itself.

Problem: I learnt a different spell even though I got the Corresponding Item! NUUUUUU!! :eek:
Solution: There are two ways this could've went wrong:
  • The Charges in the item did not correspond to the Catalog
  • The Catalog did not match the Charges
Problem: When I got the item, it didn't give me any spell! :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Solution: The item might not be a PowerUp, this system uses all Powerups to actually function. Or you didn't add the ability to the Catalog.

Problem: I used an Item that shouldn't give me a spell, but it disappeared and gave me a spell anyways! SAVE MEEEE!!! :eek:
Solution: The item might be a PowerUp, since this system is based on PowerUps alone, it will screw up. Try changing the classification of the Item that you don't want to give off a spell to something other then PowerUp.

Problem: Instead of using Powerups, I set the trigger to use Miscellaneous item classes, but now the system doesn't work! t3h suxx0rz! :eek:
Solution: Miscellaenous Item-Class is bugged, it will NOT work for triggers WHATSOEVER, I tried making an equipment system, and found out the hard way that Miscellaneous will not work as an item class.

----- >Any Other Problems?< -----​
Post them in this Forum and I'll get back to you As Soon As Possible.

Attachments

• Ability Addition System.w3x
    31.8 KB · Views: 495

Estel3

Reaction score
Believe it or not I've been meaning to make this system. Long story short I didn't, but I've still been needing this. Thanks, taking a look now!

EDIT: Slick, easy to use, well done. Looking forward to using this in future map projects.

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Believe it or not I've been meaning to make this system. Long story short I didn't, but I've still been needing this. Thanks, taking a look now!

EDIT: Slick, easy to use, well done. Looking forward to using this in future map projects.

:D no problem!

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> STEP 1: The Spell

Is it really worth mentionning it as a "step"? ;)

You pretty much just tell the user "make a spell".

Syndrome

Reaction score
> STEP 1: The Spell

Is it really worth mentionning it as a "step"? ;)

You pretty much just tell the user "make a spell".

Meh, it does need to be taken into consideration since you actually need a spell for this to work :p

Oh! Btw, did it pass the requirements to go into the "official" section?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it would need more "juice", more content.

For example, when you say:

First, set the variable ASCatalogAbility[This number has to correspond to the Item Charges, for more info see above] to the Ability.

you should show it as well ;)

Or you could explain your system itself, the triggers.

What I mean is that you take the trigger lines, the object editor fields and you explain them briefly.

Why you did this and that, etc.

Syndrome

Reaction score
Well, it would need more "juice", more content.

For example, when you say:

you should show it as well ;)

Or you could explain your system itself, the triggers.

What I mean is that you take the trigger lines, the object editor fields and you explain them briefly.

Why you did this and that, etc.

Ah, so If I add like, screenshots and make my explanations more detailed, it will work? :D -Starts working-

Syndrome

Reaction score
-This is sorta a bump-
Alright, I've added Pictures, hopefully clarifying some points. I explained how some aspects of it works, added a new problem to the Trouble Shooter, and it's completely leakless.
Is it ready yet? :rolleyes:

Blackrage

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Wow. Nice System. But can you add a system where you learn the abilities in spellbooks? That would be awesome!

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Very nice, it will be nice to have a shop to buy abilities and customize your heroes, this system will help. :D

Syndrome

Reaction score
I will be soon making a new version of this, one where there is a way to remove spells and such...
anything else I should add to a newer version?

@ Blackrage: If i were to do that, the Spell Book would need to be manually configured to do this. So I may consider it. :rolleyes:

Rommel

Reaction score
I will try it...but still dont know how it works...Btw...how can i upgared my spell by casting it for an additional duration of time???

Syndrome

Reaction score
I will try it...but still dont know how it works...Btw...how can i upgared my spell by casting it for an additional duration of time???

You can trigger this quite simply.

First, have a trigger that would set the current level of the spell to a variable.
Using that same trigger, make it detect the ability being cast, the trigger should make the ability level [Variable + 1].
Then make another trigger that waits X amount of time before setting the ability back to [Variable]

Lord_Kakashi

The Wabbits are attacking
Reaction score
Very neat and easy system. I wouldn't have thought about making it like this.. Thanks..

+rep for creative usefullness ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.