Adding skills to Heroes via trigger and make them learnable?

Lightstalker

Reaction score
When I add a skill to a Hero, it is added but isn't learnable (meaning you can't learn it via the red cross). How would I do this? I know custom hero line wars managed to do it and so did a few other maps.

Help greatly appreciated.

MB-Kiyoshi

Reaction score
When I add a skill to a Hero, it is added but isn't learnable (meaning you can't learn it via the red cross). How would I do this? I know custom hero line wars managed to do it and so did a few other maps.

Help greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this will work, haven't tested it in-game, just set whatever events/conditions you feel fit and then add these actions.

Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Hero - Learn skill for (Learning Hero): Acid Bomb
      • Hero - Modify unspent skill points of (Learning Hero): Set to 1 points

MagnaGuard

Reaction score
You can create a new hero using last killed heroes items, hp , exp ;) but that would be a lot of work

Lightstalker

Reaction score
Not sure if this will work, haven't tested it in-game, just set whatever events/conditions you feel fit and then add these actions.

Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Hero - Learn skill for (Learning Hero): Acid Bomb
      • Hero - Modify unspent skill points of (Learning Hero): Set to 1 points

doesn't work.

DonRoman

Reaction score
in hero line wars, they use the tinker ability (dont know the name, the 3rd one which improves his other skills) which replaces a dummy ability with the new hero ability. They then disable the tinker ability for the player. That way the hero can learn the abilities.
But you have to create 2 abilities (one normal and the tinker thing) and 4 dummy abilities (some item abilities, or channel with no visibility) for this to work.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
Thats because Light Stalker you'll need a trigger like:
Trigger:
  • Learn Abillity
    • Events
      • Time - Times Up expires
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - pick every unit in (playable map area) matching (Matching Unit) is a hero equal to true and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • For each integer A from 1 to 4
            • Loop - Actions
              • If all (Conditions) are true, then do (Actions)
                • If (Conditions)
                  • (Picked Unit) has item-type in slot Integer A Acid Bomb
                • Then (Actions)
                  • Item - Remove item Acid Bomb from (Picked Unit)
                  • Hero - Learn skill for (Picked Unit): Acid Bomb
                  • Hero - Modify unspent skill points of (Picked): Set to 1 points
                • Else (Actions)

Takes ages but gets it done. I believe this is how Custom Hero Line Wars did it
OFFTOPIC: I like this trigger because (like many) it is freehand =D

DonRoman

Reaction score
@ Hydra Rancher:

I believe he wants to give a hero a ability and make it learnable which the hero doesnt have from the beginning and if so your trigger will fail. (Test it if you dont believe me)

Take a look at my post above.

Lightstalker

Reaction score
in hero line wars, they use the tinker ability (dont know the name, the 3rd one which improves his other skills) which replaces a dummy ability with the new hero ability. They then disable the tinker ability for the player. That way the hero can learn the abilities.
But you have to create 2 abilities (one normal and the tinker thing) and 4 dummy abilities (some item abilities, or channel with no visibility) for this to work.

So what do I do? :confused:

Do I need 2 abilities per spell?

ChaosWarlock

Reaction score
The Tinker ability you are referring to is Engineering Upgrade. If you read THIS it will explain how to do what DonRoman was talking about.

You will have to modify the triggers used in this tutorial a bit but it shows you everything you need to make it work. I hope this helps.

Lightstalker

Reaction score
Well that tinker thing doesn't work as I thought it would but nvm. I made my own system after much thinking. Thanks for the help everyone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.