Alternatives to Hashtables

jhnam95

Reaction score
Is there a way to pass data between different triggers without using global variables or hashtables? I've recently switched from GUI to Jass and I want to know if there is a better way to do it than hashtables.

dudeim

Reaction score
You can use structs though they get converted to global variables, or use functions with parameters to pass the data. Structs are only in vJass so you need to have newgen to use it.

jhnam95

Reaction score
@Dude: I am using NewGen, so that's fine. I thought structs were like private globals, transferring data between functions within the same trigger. I need to know how to store data and retrieve it in an entirely different trigger.

@Laiev: So this is a system that calls hashtables but just makes it more efficient? Are there any specific types of instances where a hashtable would not work, or is it just me making mistakes? I used to use hashtables to store data using unit ID and call it the same way, but it didn't work for something I tried to do.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
basically structs are a way to create variable array for a grouping of variables, they are global, but you can just use this:
JASS:
globals
    real array r
    other variables
endglobals
inside a library

luorax

Invasion in Duskwood
Reaction score
@Laiev: So this is a system that calls hashtables but just makes it more efficient? Are there any specific types of instances where a hashtable would not work, or is it just me making mistakes? I used to use hashtables to store data using unit ID and call it the same way, but it didn't work for something I tried to do.

Well, it not exactly makes hashtables more efficient, however with Table you don't need to use multiple hashtables, only one, in the whole map.

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
>> Are there any specific types of instances where a hashtable would not work, or is it just me making mistakes?

I did that too but mine work just fine ^_^, try to redo it, hashtable work with Handle ID, so of course it'll work with Raw Code.

jhnam95

Reaction score
I'll give that Table system a try. Can anyone teach me how to use it though?

So for example, say using a Hashtable, my function would be like this:

Code:
call SaveInteger(udg_Hashtable_Global, StringHash("blahblah"), GetHandleId(u), i)

What would I write to save that using the Table system? Also, how would I call it? Sorry, I'm still learning how to use JASS.

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
JASS:
library someLib initializer init
globals
    private Table t //declare the table
endglobals

private function init takes nothing returns nothing
    set t = Table.create() //create the table
endfunction

set t[GetHandleId(u)] = i //use it inside this library
if t[GetHandleId(u)] == 10 then //restore the value to something, for example inside a if

// note:
// to you understand easily
//
// SaveInteger(private hashtable that you never see, this is the instance of table - in this case 't', value inside [], i)
//
// by default, table save integer, but you can save other things too, ie:
// set t.unit[some key] = u
// set t.boolean[some key] = true
// set t.string[some key] = "hello"
//
// If you need other line of any type already used, create another table
endlibrary

This can help you

jhnam95

Reaction score
How is the TableArray used then? Will the number of tables I have create considerable lag?

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
>> How is the TableArray used then?

The link that I provided to you in the post above show you an example o TableArray.

>> Will the number of tables I have create considerable lag?

No

jhnam95

Reaction score
Can you explain to me how to use it? The link has an example, but I honestly can't tell how to use it. For example, what is a thistype variable?

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
thistype is used to allocate structs
basically, you need to do [ljass]local thistype this = thistype.allocate[/ljass]
where thistype is like an integer variable that refers to the struct as the variable type

Dirac

Reaction score
[ljass]thistype[/ljass] is a simple way to refer to "this struct" when you have to deal with it
JASS:
struct TEST
    static method someMethod takes nothing returns nothing
        local TEST this
    endmethod
endstruct

JASS:
struct TEST
    static method someMethod takes nothing returns nothing
        local thistype this
    endmethod
endstruct

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.