Sci/Tech AMD/ATI Making CPU/GPU Hybrid!

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Advanced Micro Devices has launched a reorganization that will see the chipmaker's microprocessor and graphics units merged into a single group.

The products group--one of four new groups announced Wednesday--will be headed by graphics chip executive Rick Bergman, who joined AMD after its $5.4 billion acquisition of graphics chip company ATI in 2006. The chipmaker said the other three groups would focus on technology, marketing, and customers.

"The next generation of innovation in the computing industry will be grounded in the fusion of microprocessor and graphics technologies," AMD CEO Dirk Meyer said in a statement. "With these changes, we are putting the right organization in place to help enable the future of computing."

Article

-----------------------

Now, this is epic.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I think nVidia already had this idea a while ago, but then Intel threatened them because it would obviously cause Intel to lose profits/sales.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I wonder how this is going to affect the market of business vs entertainment computers. The Processing of gaming uses both the CPU and GPU, whereas businesses only use the CPU for most environments. Will the high end prices only be required for gaming?

Asehujiko

Reaction score
Good jon AMD coming up with a new idea for development.

A year after Nvidia put out their merged GPU/CPU series. You can get an Nvidia Tesla with the power of roughly 250 times the average desktop for just $9000. Scale that down to gaming level and you get a <$200 rig.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
This can either be a good or a bad thing.

It depends on who is making the drivers, if it is ATi, then AMD get's screwed:(

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I know, I'm just saying that if ATi is the one making the drivers for that new type of cpu, then they are screwed.

ATi is really bad at maintaining their drivers:p

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
So basically the two companies that don't make as good of stuff plan on making a combined not very good thing for you to buy so that you can get pissed off and have it not work very good?

Prometheus

Reaction score
Varine, check your sources. The latest Phenom core actually beats all of the latest Intels, and the 4800 series kicks ass.

Seriously, think before bashing.

Varine

Reaction score
Varine, check your sources. The latest Phenom core actually beats all of the latest Intels, and the 4800 series kicks ass.

Seriously, think before bashing.

ATI doesn't keep up with their drivers. Both of the companies are known for making generally lower quality and cheaper parts that run hotter and often are larger than Intel and Nvidia. Probably because they do.

Prometheus

Reaction score
Cheaper, yes. Lower quality? Not in any of my experiences.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score

Not to me either, but the driver part of ATi is actually true. They are really lazy when it comes to drivers:( That have caused me a lot of troubles before:(

But I sure think that this will be a good thing:thup:

Varine

Reaction score

All of the ones I've used run way hotter than Intel and clock slower, not really noticeable since they're running fast enough to process everything I do though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.