WIP An Icon is Born (Tutorial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
radromity, NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE should ever try to make any texture file with a program such as paint. That you even think I'm going to change the tutorial in order to make that happen and your are really kidding yourself, PS and GIMP are the usual programs for such and since I use PS I make the tutuorial in pS; suggesting a paint version is stupid.

This might seem harsh and get -rep, but seriously it was a retarded question/suggestion, I even tought it was a joke at first.

Furby, thx alot m8 ;)

//==GooS

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it's stupid. Paint just isn't made for this sort of thing.

Fire-Wolf

S.P.D Smoke Pot Daily, Legalize It!
Reaction score
radromity, NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE should ever try to make any texture file with a program such as paint. That you even think I'm going to change the tutorial in order to make that happen and your are really kidding yourself, PS and GIMP are the usual programs for such and since I use PS I make the tutuorial in pS; suggesting a paint version is stupid.

This might seem harsh and get -rep, but seriously it was a retarded question/suggestion, I even tought it was a joke at first.

Furby, thx alot m8 ;)

//==GooS
Agree, so true... MS Paint sucks... Its true it is worse than the internet versions of photoshop.. No one in their right mind would dare try to make any texture files in paint. Paint doesnt have anything good on it whats so ever...

OnTopic, this is a great tutorial. Im going to try it when i get home. +rep for you GooS

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Good time to start campaign against Photoshop. Most of us do not need Photoshop advanced options to do simple textures. The Gimp suits for that fine. I find it bad idea to do tutorials for priced programs. It is easier for you to write tutorial for familiar program, but most of tutorial readers are teenagers who might not have credit card to buy Photoshop from internet or buy it from their local shop because it is for PROFESSIONAL use and costs much -- more than usual pocket money. For hobbyists like most of mappers they "buy" it to do what? Some MS Paint pictures?

It should be another way around -- tutorials for free programs like the Gimp (texture), Gmax (modeling) (free can vary, but mostly it is free of charge, but comes with terms of use).

Milkshape costs 25 EUR (35 USD). My point for beginners try first to make cube, texture it and maybe add rotation (walk animation). For that Gmax works fine. When you get more seriously into modeling or skinning, buy better programs.

Then comes into play why I should buy if I can "buy". There isn't any solid answer to that.
If you can then support, if you are poor artist "buy". That should be more like it. if you get free don't forget to give back free. Don't only take -- should be my point lol :nuts:

EDIT:

Good job with the tutorial nevertheless. Warcraft is lacking good game modders and new content creators. No hard feelings.

EDIT2:

Remembered, Blizzard has released icon boarder pack, it has all boarders which Warcraft uses. It means you can make 64x64 pixels image in PS (Go the Gimp!) and add boarder of your like.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
I don't think it's stupid. Paint just isn't made for this sort of thing.

To summarize a tutorial in paint it would be, take the brush tools and brush until you get an icon, no but seriously, there wouldn't be much to say since there are no real functions, effects or tools except single pixel painting. Hence I though it was a joke question, I mean what am I supposed to say?

One could make a tutorial for a single item, for example the sword, but it wouldn't make it easier creating the next icon, or a diffrent icon from the one in the tutorial. The use of this tutorial, imo, is that I go through using blending options, some diffrent tools and brushsets for effect, which can be applied to all icons one can make and not just the demonstration.

@ Sooda

Yes I have no opinion towards GIMP one way or the other and as you say it is easier to create a tutorial for something one is comfortable with using, hence photoshop for me.

Though I am thinking, since I plan to finish this sometime, to download GIMP and see if there are similar functions in it that can be used, and mention them in the tutorial so that the GIMPers has use of it aswell.

This will hopefully help people that can't afford, don't want to spend money on an expensive product such as PS.

EDIT: The border part will be removed since it is faulty and resource sites such as The Hive wont allow any other borders than the original ones.

//==GooS

PS: I've gotten a frequent question over forums including this one it reads:

Do you use a pen tablet?

And the answer is no, I use a Logitech G7 mouse which after serious use I've gotten accustomed to, so I don't think a tablet would improve the quality of my images and I don't think anyone should buy one thinking that it will automatically improve your images.

Randor244

Reaction score
I share your opinion - Paint actually can be used to create good pixel art - but nothing else (and since pixel art doesn't fit into wc3, well, Paint is nothing ;)).

Most of the things you can do in PS can be made in the Gimp. So I think that those with some computer image editing experience can use your tutorial as it is now - making icons in Gimp.

Oh, and I have a pen tablet :p :p :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> evory art programs on a comp uses pixels all programs do
However, a tutorial on making an icon in MsPaint wouldn't look much different to:

"Set the colour to #FF5698 and colour the first pixel.
Set the colour to #434984 and colour the second pixel"

Etc.

Fire-Wolf

S.P.D Smoke Pot Daily, Legalize It!
Reaction score
Exactly Romek, that is why those pictures arnt possible with paint. Well they are but it would take 1 year...
and radromity I never said that they didnt use pixels v.v

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Purged this thread of some debates as to whether MsPaint is better than Photoshop.
It's not. :)

Also, this thread is about the tutorial.
If you want to debate, visit the Debates Forum, or continue in PMs.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Purged this thread of some debates as to whether MsPaint is better than Photoshop.
It's not. :)

Also, this thread is about the tutorial.
If you want to debate, visit the Debates Forum, or continue in PMs.

Yay for clean! :) I see you kept your awesome post. :D

When this WIP is finished, is it gonna go to the Tutorial section?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that it is the Advanced Effects.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Not very much, I'm sorry to say, I'f I say that it's finished until I have the energy to make the advanced part will it be an acceptable tutorial?

//==GooS

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> I'f I say that it's finished until I have the energy to make the advanced part will it be an acceptable tutorial?
Definitely. This is better than most, if not all, of the icon tutorials we currently have.
Even in it's current, unfinished, state.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Definitely. This is better than most, if not all, of the icon tutorials we currently have.
Even in it's current, unfinished, state.

Thanks, I removed some incomplete info and removed the WIP statement at the start, you can move it when you wish :)

//==GooS

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it'd be easier if you'd just repost it in the Tutorials and Resources forum.
This has a lot of comments and stuff that relate to it being WIP or in this section.

I'll close this once you've done that (and put a link leading to the new thread in the first post in this one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.