Sci/Tech Astronomers uncover alien world so 'extraordinarily dark', it makes coal look shiny.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Astronomers have discovered the darkest known planet. The exoplanet, known as TrES-2b, reflects less than 1 per cent of light, which makes it darker than any other planet or moon.

The discovery, detailed in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, was made by analysing data from Nasa's Kepler spacecraft, which provides extremely precise measurements on the brightnesses of faraway stars.

'TrES-2b is considerably less reflective than black acrylic paint, so it's truly an alien world,' David Kipping of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) told Science Daily.

TrES-2b, a gas exoplanet roughly the size of Jupiter, is around 750 light years away and was discovered in 2006 by the Trans-Atlantic Exoplanet Survey; hence its less-than-catchy name.

Read more here.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Anyone else think the artist's version just looks like Jupiter only black and red? I'm pretty sure that's the same storm there...

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Anyone else think the artist's version just looks like Jupiter only black and red? I'm pretty sure that's the same storm there...
Well let's see here

jupiterstorms.jpg

This infrared image shows two bright plume eruptions obtained by the NASA Infrared Telescope Facility on April 5, 2007.

hmm

article-2025150-0D649BD500000578-255_634x592.jpg

Black planet: This artist's impression shows TrES-2b, a planet so hot it glows red like embers, but is also officially the darkest known planet

Looks Like the Same. Maybe I am wrong? hehehe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.