Automorph problem/gold mine ability problem

captainrads

Reaction score
I know, I posted something like this a few days ago, and I'm not trying to post multiple threads to be obnoxious, I just wanted to clarify and clean up the post a little. I've only got two major problems right now:

EDIT: Got it to work just fine, except that the gold mine model does its build animation instead of its stand, but that's not really a big deal.
Build Gold Mine ability:
Where a gold mine is built which spawns gold regularly without a miner or town hall, sort of like having a haunted gold mine with no miners. I've tried using a pocket factory based ability to spawn gold coins, but it only spawns units, not items.

EDIT: The spider egg ability is pretty much fixed, unless someone knows how to make the phoenix egg ability work on spawning instead of death, or something like that which doesn't involve triggers.
Spider Egg hatch ability:
A spider lays a certain amount of eggs which automatically hatch after a few seconds. I've tried using various morph spells, but they need to be activated manually and phoenix egg morphing only works when the unit dies. Basically what I'm asking is can a metamorphosis spell be put on autocast.

If anyone can help me, it will still be greatly appreciated, and if I'm being obnoxious and pushy with these questions, I apologize but I'm so close to releasing Elemental Footies Beta and I've been working on it for a long time and I just want to get it out there.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
1: Use a regular mine, but have locusted units, which are invisible, harvest the gold like undead.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Code:
Gold
    Events
        Unit - A unit Finishes construction
    Conditions
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                (Constructed structure) Equal to (Random unit from (Units of type Gold Mine))
            Then - Actions
                Player - Set (Owner of (Constructed structure)) Current gold to (((Owner of (Constructed structure)) Current gold) + 1)
            Else - Actions
                Do nothing
And just loop the [I don't know how]
Code:
Player - Set (Owner of (Constructed structure)) Current gold to (((Owner of (Constructed structure)) Current gold) + 1)
?

captainrads

Reaction score
@ Renendaru: So the locusts are created with the ability that makes the gold mine or they come from the gold mine?

@ WolfieNoCT: That doesn't look like it could loop periodically, and using the "random unit from units of type" function hasn't worked well for me in the past, actually it crashed the game last time I used it.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
@ Renendaru: So the locusts are created with the ability that makes the gold mine or they come from the gold mine?

@ WolfieNoCT: That doesn't look like it could loop periodically, and using the "random unit from units of type" function hasn't worked well for me in the past, actually it crashed the game last time I used it.
What about something like Renendaru said, but.
Make the gold mine have invisible undead workers. When you create a mine, you get invisible undead acolytes which just sit there and harvest gold.
Make them invulnerable, not selectable, and invisible.

Fluffball

Reaction score
Make a periodic trigger that picks every unit, aslong as it is a "Goldmine" unit, and give the owner of the picked unit +1 gold.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Ah, but it leaks. :D

Basic rundown of periodic giving gold.

Code:
Events
    Every 1 seconds
Conditions

Actions
    Set GoldmineGroup = Pick every unit in (Playable Map Area) Matching (Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Equal to Goldmine
    Unit Group - Pick every unit in GoldmineGroup and do
        Loop - Actions
            Player - Set gold of (Owner of (Picked unit)) to (Gold of (Owner of (Picked unit)) + 1)
    Custom Script: call RemoveGroup (udg_GoldmineGroup)

captainrads

Reaction score
But what ability do I use as a base? The only ability that I know of that can spawn two different units is carrion beetles, which only works on corpses. If I can avoid using triggers I'd like to.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion for hatching eggs:

The eggs are units, with the ability Locust, and negative life regeneration (or an expiration timer).
You give them a version of Spawn Hydra, with the unit they should become.

captainrads

Reaction score
Hmm...that's not a bad idea at all. I wanted it to be a phoenix egg sort of ability(where the spiders hatch on a timer a few seconds after being spawned), but that might work just as well. On the off chance you happen to know how to do the phoenix egg thing, I'd prefer that but I'll probably use the hydra thing. Thanks for the help, I'll see if it works and post back a bit later.

Hey wait, what does locust do and why can't I find it in the editor?

OMGedDude

Reaction score
for the spider egg ability you could use pocket factory with the factory type as the egg and the spawn unit as the spiders and set the duration of the factory to something like 6.1 and the unit spawn interval to 6. not entirely sure if that works tho.
and locust is an ability that makes the unit that has it unselectable and invulnerable. its used for dummies and in the Locust Swarm spell.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Code:
Gold
    Events
        Unit - A unit Finishes construction
    Conditions
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                (Constructed structure) Equal to (Random unit from (Units of type Gold Mine))
            Then - Actions
            Else - Actions
                Do nothing
And just loop the [I don't know how]
Code:
?

shouldn't it be pick every unit matching gold mine and do give 1 gold to owner of picked unit

captainrads

Reaction score
Alright, I think I got the spider egg skill handled since it looks pretty good already and I don't need to use any triggers for it.

But, the gold mine ability is still bugging me, since I don't know which spawning ability to base it off of. Like I said before, the only ability I know of which spawns more than one type of unit is carrion beetles which only works on corpses. If I could somehow get the gold mine to spawn the units that'd be fine, but I don't know of any autospawn abilities. Once again, I'd like to avoid using triggers as they seem to make the file size significantly larger.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> pocket factory based ability to spawn gold coins, but it only spawns units, not items

Well, that's enough:

Event:
- A unit enters (Playable map)
Conditions:
- Unit-type of (Triggering unit) equal to "Gold mine spawned unit"
Actions:
- Player - Add 10 Gold to (Owner of (Triggering unit))
- Unit - Remove (Triggering unit)

Alternatively without any spawning and you just trigger the gold with some periodic trigger based on the amount of gold mines.

Btw, triggers add next to nothing to map size...

captainrads

Reaction score
I guess I don't have a choice then, I have to use triggers...oh well, thanks for the help, I think that's all I need, and as soon as I can host the map will be hosted on U.S. East. It's called Elemental Footies Beta by the way.

captainrads

Reaction score
Problems fixed, other than not being aesthetically pleasing but at least they function properly, I'll work on how they look later. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.