Backdoor virus

Warmachine

Reaction score
So my other computer has been out of commission for awhile, since Norton kept popping up with warnings about a trojan. So I've done a few scans and such and it says intelppm.sys is the infected file?

Any advice? I've googled a bit and found a thing called TDSSKiller (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/TDSSKiller.shtml) Not quite sure what it does though, like if it actually finds the file and gets rid of it or is just a scan. Would that be the best plan of action or do you have any other suggestions?

Warmachine

Reaction score
Should I be in safe mode while doing the malewarebytes scan?

(It's been a few years since I've done computer tech, I've forgotten a lot..)

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
No you don't need to be, but it's always preferred. Make sure you update the database before going into safemode though.

Warmachine

Reaction score
Well I just ran a TDSSKiller scan and it found it and said it was removed. Hopefully that solves it, but I'm going to run the malewarebytes and hijackthis scans anyway to make sure.

Warmachine

Reaction score
Malwarebytes log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5394

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18372

12/25/2010 3:56:28 PM
mbam-log-2010-12-25 (15-56-18).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 295265
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 23 minute(s), 53 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 6
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 4
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{5B4C3B43-49B6-42A7-A602-F7ACDCA0D409} (Adware.OneStepSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{5B4C3B43-49B6-42A7-A602-F7ACDCA0D409} (Adware.OneStepSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OneStepSearch (Adware.OneStepSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Screensavers.com (Adware.Comet) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ONESTEP_SEARCH_SERVICE (Adware.OneStepSearch) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Xstudio_Packet_Capture (LSP.Hijacker) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
c:\documents and settings\HP_Owner\application data\registrysmart (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> No action taken.
c:\documents and settings\HP_Owner\application data\registrysmart\Log (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> No action taken.
c:\documents and settings\HP_Owner\application data\registrysmart\registry backups (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> No action taken.
c:\program files\registrysmart (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> No action taken.

Files Infected:
c:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\calc.exe (Trojan.Agent.Gen) -> No action taken.
c:\RECYCLER\adapt_installer.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
c:\documents and settings\HP_Owner\application data\registrysmart\registry backups\2008-01-14_13-31-21.reg (Rogue.RegistrySmart) -> No action taken.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clicked remove and all items are said to be quarantined and removed successfully.

Just a few more scans and hopefully it will be solved for good...

Warmachine

Reaction score
Didn't necessarily find anything wrong in the hijackthis log. There were two "nasty" files, which were Ask toolbars. So I removed those and some other toolbars and random things that aren't necessary. Just running malwarebytes again and then I'll run a full norton scan in safe mode. After that the computer should be back in service!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.