Spell Burning Steps

I

IKilledKEnny

But why do that when we got a perfectly good wait? Also in your way, faster heros can to create more flames while slower heros less.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
> Why is everyone so fixed on constant functions? I thought less function calls = better code. And if it's all about readability when importing the spell, the comments really explain what to do, so what's up with that?

Well yes but humans aren' t computers and we don' t have time to search things. Constants could be set to local variables at start and then using only these variables what makes editing JASS really simpel and fast.
Many people don' t read comments but they will see constant functions what are easy to edit. Evrybody dosn' t know JASS and they don' t have to.

This burning footsteps (What would look like footsteps of Ilidan would be awsome passive ability.) is good idea.

I

IKilledKEnny

> Well yes but humans aren' t computers and we don' t have time to search things.

Actually I find that locals are easier to find then functions becuase they are always at the top. Anyway I working on making it with functions, but the first draft isn't working so I'm fixing it.

> This burning footsteps (What would look like footsteps of Ilidan would be awsome passive ability.) is good idea.

I thought about it, but I like this effect more, anyway, it can be modified by chaning the unit's model file.

substance

Reaction score
But why do that when we got a perfectly good wait? Also in your way, faster heros can to create more flames while slower heros less.

Haha, because no wait is 'perfectly good'.

As far as faster heroes creating more flames... well I actually think thats a cool idea. (although, unintentional)

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
> Actually I find that locals are easier to find then functions becuase they are always at the top.

You would need to find main "action" function then I guess because there could be many other functions before.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
constant function ExtraDamage takes nothing returns integer
return 42
endfunction

I'm sure you have seen those already?

Well, if you happen to look at a spell that you didn't make yourself, or even your own some three weeks later, having to read "ExtraDamage()" certainly beats "42", where you really can only guess what that number might be.

Or compare "DummyUnitID()" to "n042"...

Not to mention that some major point is simply that you only need to edit one place if you import your spell to a different map.
It's easy to miss an 'A123' somewhere...

Anyway, ever used Vexorian's Map Optimizer?
It inlines that particular type of functions.
You get the readability of a name, and still the maximum speed from direct values.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> Yes I agree with you, but it seems like people prefer functions.

Not only us, but newbie users that will import your spell in their map. A long time ago (about 1 year and a half), I imported a JASS spell in my map. I didn't know JASS at all. That person didn't include constant functions and/or steps to make it easier for me, and so it took me days to make it work :p

Later on, I imported another spell which included constant functions. It worked in minutes.

This is just 1 example of what can happen. Think about everyone who will see, and maybe use your spell.

It also makes it better to read.

@Arkan

There are less function calls using no constant functions, but if you set a local to the constant at the beginning of a function (and use that local), you will call that function only once in the entire function...

For better readability and functionality, I'd add a few function calls anytime.

EDIT: More than 1 year :p

I

IKilledKEnny

Ok, no need to convince any more, once I can I will update it with a version that will use (constant) functions instead of locals.

Thanks for commenting.

martix

There is no spoon
Reaction score
Plain 'ol Blaze...
Maybe someone should make some Sorc spellpack or something... I'd also really love to see Frozen Orb, Fist of Heavens, Hurricane... a lot of the necro auras are also interesting. :)

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
I still think a footstep type pattern would look nicer :(
If it's intending not to though, why did you call it Burning Steps and not like, Burning Path or something...

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
That's... true :banghead:
I still haven't tested it out, but it sounds like it works, and the idea looks + sounds cool. I was gonna make one of these myself this one time, but... Well, I never really do ANYTHING it seems.

Edit > Question: If you run back n forth could you make a really thick wall of fire that does a LOT of damage? I hope not >_>

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
>If you run back n forth could you make a really thick wall of fire that does a LOT of damage?

I'm not sure that the immolation ability the dummies have don't stack, so, I would say no atm. They only last for 2 seconds anyway, but that can be easily modified.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Immolation doesn't stack and as IKilledKEnny already stated, the damage lasts only 2 seconds. So no, it could barely happen.

If you modify the spell though, it could make a thick fire wall. But the damage would still be the same.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
He said that? Guess I didn't read enough ;)
Anyways, yeah, I forgot if immo stacked or not. I don't work much with the standard abilities. For the most part I may trigger something that an ability already does without knowing..!

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
I still think a timer with a countdown is the way to go. It would be more accurate and able to be interrupted at any time.

I

IKilledKEnny

Ok, I got the version with functions right! Can this be approved now, or is there somthing I missed?

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
It' s now perfect (In my opinion.) still you could give to argument values informative names:
Code:
function BurningStepsNewMana takes real r, integer i returns real
  // This function will return the mana cost per flamce
  return r-i*0.5
  // At the moment it's current mana - half of the level of burning steps for the caster
endfunction
Code:
 local real NewMana=BurningStepsNewMana(mana,AbilityLevel)
^ Here it is understandable what it takes- mana and ability level. But in function arguments real r and integer i, what they could mean :rolleyes:
Code:
function BurningStepsNewMana takes real mana, integer abilityLevel returns real
  // This function will return the mana cost per flamce
  return mana - abilityLevel * .5
  // At the moment it's current mana - half of the level of burning steps for the caster
endfunction
Comments helps alot and you don' t have to do it. It' s just a cosmetic thing :D Well done anyway !

I

IKilledKEnny

Thanks Sooda, I guess I'll edit this as well, although I think it should be understandable already, even if we use in function unimformative names.

I hope I could get the update on soon.

Edit: That took like a second, heh, update is done, I fixed those 2 function to take things with names that make sense.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.