Chinese Game farmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
found on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_(gaming) -

Gold farming in China

According to estimates, around 100,000 people in China are employed as gold farmers, as of December 2005. [1] This represents about 0.4% of all online gamers in China. Chinese gold farmers typically work twelve hour shifts, and sometimes up to eighteen hour shifts. Wages depend heavily on location and the size of the gold farming company. One gold farming operation in Chongqing in central China with 23 gold farmers was reported to pay its employees the equivalent of about 75 U.S. dollars per month, while workers at a larger gold farm in Fuzhou earn the equivalent of about 250 U.S. dollars per month. The rising prevalence of gold farming has led to the creation of gold farm brokerages, such as UCdao. [2]

Because of reports indicating many gold farmers are located in China they are sometimes referred to as "Chinese farmers" or "China farmers".

There are "gold farmers" or "gold farms" in other countries as well such as Romania, the Philippines, Indonesia and Mexico. However, they do not approach the scope and scale of the Chinese farm industry. China's abundant labor, availability of high-speed Internet connections and cheap computers have made it a powerhouse in collecting virtual assets for online games, fueling the market among the 30 million or so online gamers worldwide.

China is in fact dominant in this industry and Jin Ge, a 30-year-old Shanghai native has done a documentary on "gold farms" in China as part of his doctoral research at the University of California at San Diego.:[3]

He is one of the many researchers who has invested his time in investigating how farm owners manage their production and distribution of virtual commodities across the border between the virtual and the real as well as the border between nations. His main aim in his research was also to delve into the background and lives of these workers "I also tried to find out what this job, combining work and play, means to Chinese gold farmers and how it feels like to live at this peculiar intersection of the virtual and the real."

Ge Jin's research is also documented in his periodical online news articles which can be found at Consumer Studies Research Network.

reading this made me want too buy the gold they sell. i mean i found that most of them are in real bad shape. some don't even get a good amount of food.

china needs too shape up. i cant talk, its mostly due too the U.S owned sweat shops.

sweat shops help give jobs, dont get me wrong. but the wages are too low.

i can understand why the wages are low as well. but if sweat shops didn't exist then the Chinese government would be forced too help. or suffer a economic drop.

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
>sweat shops help give jobs, dont get me wrong. but the wages are too low.

research sweatshops for 15 minutes and you will learn that the workers would be better off not working at all, and just dying.
you don't understand that this is all the fault of an oppresive government. the chinese government couldn't care less about its citizens, in fact, they kill baby girls their to keep the population in check.

I

i-SCREAM

Uhmm... FireWarrior? You might want to check your sources on that reply. You kinda abused the real facts.

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
I was watching a documentary and it said that the gold farming industry played a pretty big part in the economic boom China is currently experiencing... crazy.

If you buy gold from them out of pity for the workers, all you are doing is ensuring the industry survives and grows, gaining more employees etc. And I doubt they will see a rise in their wages.

PB_and_J

level 85 anti-spammer
Reaction score
>>And I doubt they will see a rise in their wages.

All they would see, is more people farming, just my opinion.

Mer_de_Noms

Certified Badfish
Reaction score
Well, the conditions may not be great, but it provides jobs for their enormous population.

They may not get great food either, but food is food compared to none.

I don't think they are just killing baby girls either. That's just more typical American crap. "They aren't us, so they must treat their citizens like shit."

Don't take in everything that you hear. Most of it is b.s..

S

stiky

Everyone knows that, China has the largest army, to every 2 US soliders theres 5 Korean/Japanese/Chinese (Not sure which one)

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
Yeah, and 1 US soldier is 5 times as equiped as a chinese soldier.
Or why else haven't they invaded the USA yet?
Lol...

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
And America has "La Bomb". Even though China also has La BOmb, US of A has more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.