Color loss

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
Any idea how come when I upload a picture to photobucket, it appears to lose some of its inital color? (To be more specific, it seems to become darker)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't ever noticed this with photobucket.

I will check my images to see if mine do it.

Cilla

is watching you! Ahh, fresh meat!
Reaction score
Any idea how come when I upload a picture to photobucket, it appears to lose some of its inital color? (To be more specific, it seems to become darker)

Are you sure this happens when you upload them?
I guess this prolly happens when you save them,
for example as gif they prolly use some quality.

I am very sure that photobucket doesn't edit files.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Always save as .PNG

That may help to keep the colour, although it should be fine with all formats. I don't think that Photobucket would change an images colour on purpose.

Aqua Dragon

Reaction score
IT was saved as a PNG. I made sure of that.

And I don't think it lost color during the saving either. When I checked the values of the RGB, they were exactly the same as before I saved them. They only changed when I uploaded them.

n[u]ll

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Are you sure your upload settings were set to max ?

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed 5MB is only for pro accounts..

Well, upload the original image to a post, and link us to the photobucket one, it sounds like it's losing quality...

Aqua Dragon

Reaction score
I've created a smaller picture to show what I mean

Example of what it's supposed to originally look like
Octo32.png
Picture after upload
Octo3-1.png

Side by side
Octo32.png
Octo3-1.png

If you take a look deeply enough, you'll see the one after upload is darker. Though it may not seem like a big problem, it is when you have to get 2 pictures to connect.

How did I get the original there? I set it a bit brighter then it was supposed to be then uploaded it. However, under normal circumstances doing this is extremely impractical because I have to set EVERY color in the picture a bit brighter - on bigger pictures this is extremely time consuming.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, if the image you're linking to also gets darker, then why would you want the linked one to be lighter? :p

I've never heard of this happening.. Maybe it's been happening all along and I haven't noticed?

Cilla

is watching you! Ahh, fresh meat!
Reaction score
That's really wired?!

Only happens using photobucket?

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I have gotten that a lot with images that I made with paint and saved as a .GIF or .PNG then upload to Photo Bucket. Mine usually get lighter though.

Although, I am not sure why it does this, I am most likely going to ask there forums or search there FAQ for answers. Hope to report back with good news

Aqua Dragon

Reaction score
Alright. Hopefully some answers will come soon

Oh, and something similar also happened when Imageshack was also tried.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I've heard different problems about photobucket (image getting smaller, image not uploading, and now image getting darker), my advice would be to use a different image uploader.

Aqua Dragon

Reaction score
Well I've got a bit of extra information that kinda sucks. Most image uploaders do the EXACT SAME THING :banghead:.
So far, only ImageHosting.com has done it right, but it leaves a signature at the bottom right. Oh the irony.

n[u]ll

Reaction score
Hmm, my test uploaded to photobucket:
Test.png

Test uploaded to TH:
attachment.php

Together:
Test.png
attachment.php

I don't notice a difference..?

Aqua Dragon

Reaction score
The image does not lose the quality once it's uploaded to a forum. It loses its quality when it's just plain out uploaded to the internet.
Try copy-pasting the one on photobucket right next to the one that's currently saved on your desktop.

n[u]ll

Reaction score
I thought you said the only website that doesn't do it was ImageHosting, that's on the internet isn't it?

I tried what you said.. Here's a screen shot:
ScreenShot-1.png

I'll let the picture speak it's own thousand words..

Aqua Dragon

Reaction score
I thought you said the only website that doesn't do it was ImageHosting, that's on the internet isn't it?
You know what I meant :p

As for the image... I don't know hwo that happened. It still continues to happen.

n[u]ll

Reaction score
Hmm. Well I feel for ya D:

I guess you'll have to suffer?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.