Tutorial Converting Expansion maps to Reign of Chaos

Tonks

Reaction score
Converting TFT Maps into RoC Maps

Note: This is not for people that are creating roc maps that auto-converted to TFT. This is for TFT mappers that want their map to be available on RoC.

Follow each step below exactly as it is stated to convert your map.

Step 1: Download Winmpq Here (Official WinMPQ site).

Step 2: Open your FT Map with WinMPQ.

Step 3: Highlight ALL of the files inside the map and extract them to an empty folder.

Step 4: Open a new Reign of Chaos map with WinMPQ.

Step 5: Delete all files inside the map.

Step 6: "Add" all of the files that you extracted from your FT map into the now-blank RoC map. Do this by highlighting all of the files.

Step 7: Custom import all TFT files into your map; these include Models and animations. If you do not import them, they will not show up. If you do not want to import the models into your map, then I would suggest that you use RoC models to replace the FT models.

Now you're done! Your map can now be played on RoC!

Be aware that this method increases file size dramatically; even in some cases doubling file size. My advice would be to use Vexorian's Map Optimizer to lower your file size. Try not to use too many imported items when doing this process.

Hope this helps! (I know it helped me)

Tonks

Reaction score
Thanks, so that's how it's done!

Yea, believe it or not it took me about an hour to figure out how I would get it to work. I figured that if I exported the files and added them back that it would change to RoC, but it didn't work so I got the idea of using a blank map :)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
This might not be the best idea...
Some of the tft files use a different format than RoC so doing this might just result in making the map unstable (as in crash sometimes).

Tonks

Reaction score
This might not be the best idea...
Some of the tft files use a different format than RoC so doing this might just result in making the map unstable (as in crash sometimes).

Oh.. I wasn't aware of that.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think that would work. I don't know why. It ouwldn't be that simple

I may be wrong about these points:

- TFT only models... what about them?
- i Think this is only for Single-player
- What about the spells?

Tonks

Reaction score
I don't think that would work. I don't know why. It ouwldn't be that simple

I may be wrong about these points:

- TFT only models... what about them?
- i Think this is only for Single-player
- What about the spells?

You don't understand what it does.
WinMPQ opens the map in it's raw form, displaying all files inside of the map.
This includes ALL data that the map contains. The spells, the units, the models, the imported data; everything.

Why would this only work for single player?

Also, I tested this, so I know it works. However, I don't know about what SFilip said, because I only breifly tested the map.

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
It won't work for TFT models or for spells based of TFT spells. Excluding those blizzard includes in the patches.

You can fix the filesize problem by removing the (attributes) file.

Tonks

Reaction score
It won't work for TFT models or for spells based of TFT spells. Excluding those blizzard includes in the patches.

You can fix the filesize problem by removing the (attributes) file.

What does that file do?

Reaction score
This didn't work at all for me. I deleted (attributes) but still halfway during loading RoC crashed with a critical error. It said that the problem is in war3map.w3i.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> You can fix the filesize problem by removing the (attributes) file.
Um no you can't.
The mpq would have to be repacked.

Anyway...
http://www.wc3campaigns.net/tools/specs/index.html
This is where my doubt comes from: take a closer look and notice that some files have data stored differently which might cause problems on a long road.
In other words: can't say it doesn't work, but can't say it may work correctly either.

Tonks

Reaction score
This didn't work at all for me. I deleted (attributes) but still halfway during loading RoC crashed with a critical error. It said that the problem is in war3map.w3i.

Try it without deleting the (attributes) file. If it works, then try using Vexorian's Map Optimizer on the map to fix the file size.

> You can fix the filesize problem by removing the (attributes) file.
Um no you can't.
The mpq would have to be repacked.

Anyway...
http://www.wc3campaigns.net/tools/specs/index.html
This is where my doubt comes from: take a closer look and notice that some files have data stored differently which might cause problems on a long road.
In other words: can't say it doesn't work, but can't say it may work correctly either.

Well, I don't know. I wasn't aware of a change in the mpq styles between roc and tft.
All I know is that this does work fo the maps that I have tested on, and it is probably worth a shot if you want your map to be available on RoC. Worst thing that could happen is that it wouldn't work, right? :)

G

Gold_Warfox

Yea, believe it or not it took me about an hour to figure out how I would get it to work. I figured that if I exported the files and added them back that it would change to RoC, but it didn't work so I got the idea of using a blank map :)

I don't understand will you please elaborate for me because i dont want to start over :banghead:

Leo

Reaction score
I dont have world editor on this computer to try it at the moment, but by any chance have you tried this with a map bigger than 192x192...would it just crash RoC, or would this be a possible way to do a bigger map in RoC?

Tonks

Reaction score
I dont have world editor on this computer to try it at the moment, but by any chance have you tried this with a map bigger than 192x192...would it just crash RoC, or would this be a possible way to do a bigger map in RoC?

It might, if you feel like testin' it out with all the features, you may want to find out why some maps don't work out for it. Post your results here if ya do ^^

By the way, I found out that sometimes it won't show TFT things, and I don't know but I think that GUI triggers need to be turned to JASS before doing this.
To show TFT and Custom things you will have to import them manually.
*Or simply use RoC units as replacements.

Leo

Reaction score
It works...I can do epic size maps in RoC now.

I have some triggers in JASS and some in GUI, so far all seem to be working, though i havent tested them all yet.

What do you mean it won't show TFT things, TFT units? Yea I knew the models would have to be imported manually.

My map is already RoC compatiable, I just wanted to be able to make bigger. So the only non-RoC thing is the map size.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Yea, I believe it works (for most of the times.)
I have never tried it, though.
But a tiny bird whispered in my ear once, that this is how the 'HLW RoC' maps are made. (And as we all know, HLW RoC is almost as big as Dota for Reign of Chaos!)
-Impressive! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.