Couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there :D I have a few things I need some help with, so instead of making multiple threads, I'll just put them all in one thread.
  1. Using neutral hostile as a creep race in a TD/survival map: I can't seem to get them to stop running back to where they spawn when they take too much damage. Have removed guard positions and maxed out guard distance.
  2. Need ideas for a GUI scientist hero for a survival map; model and ability ideas needed. Needs to have an area damage ability and a single target high-damage ability, two more other abilities, plus an ultimate. It can be melee or ranged, and can have a custom model if you know of any good ones. Note GUI, no triggered spells unless unavoidable.
  3. Random integer problem: I have a trigger that sets an integer variable to a random number between 1 and 20, but somehow everytime the map is run the first number drawn is always the same.
  4. Map freeze-up: At one point in my map it slowed down to a halt and froze. I don't know if I had too many units or projectiles at the same time. Possible causes?

Yeah that's about it for now, I might ask other questions later. Useful posts have a good chance of being rewarded with +rep. No guarantees. If I don't get any responses within 24 hours, I will close my thread.

vonDarkmoor

Reaction score
3. From what ive been able to tell, if you run a random number from a "point" that is the same in every game then you will get the same number, if you call the random number say when a player enters a region, you will actually get a random number, cause the moment that the player enters the region will be different every game. but if you have it set variable = to random number at map init, im pretty sure that the number will be the same everytime. how to fix this? idk, but i remember doin a search for "random integers" a while back and i think i saw something on how to fix that. i think it had something to do with the random number generators "seed" or somethin like that. definitely not my field of expertise.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
For 1. I would suggest trying the trigger Ai - Ignore guard positions for Neutral Hostile. Neutral Hostile has a really bad hardcoded AI as far as their guard positions go. From my experience, you're just better off using a player for this.

For number 4. Try setting decay to very low, and remove corpses from units. Remember to remove any dummies you have and fix all the memory leaks (especially loop ones). Too many projectiles is a possibility but you need a LOT of projectiles to make it lag, so i don't think this is the case.

Tamisrah

Reaction score
1. See Nenads post

AE Dmg: Unreliable Formula - The scientist is trying to refine his potion of <insert something interesting here>. But the forumula still has the irritating tendency to explode.
[Simple AE Dmg spell, but with randomized area of effect]
Nuke: Spark Device - The scientist has found out that he could save electric enegergy in a jar (-> Leyden Jar). He now uses it to zap his foes.
[Finger of Death with Chainlighning model]
Operational Experience - During his long years of study the scientist was caught in so many accidents that he became more and more robust.
[Spell Shield - Block enemy spells targeted at him]
Strange Liquid - He just found this flask containing some strange glowing liquid in it. Well he's a scientist so he tries it!
[Self Buff, random effect]
Formula of Life - He found the formula for eternal life! Or maybe not?
[Self Buff, You can't die during the duration but the hitpoints may drop to 1; maybe add that he recieves like 30% of the blocked damage afterwards so he'll need to be healed before the effect wears off]

3. Check Preferences -> Test Map Settings -> Use static random start value = False
[or something along the lines, since I don't have english world editor]

4. How many units are you talking about? 50? 100? 300? 500?

PS: Read the forum rules, you're not supposed to make a "my personal questions" thread. So just start a new one after these questions are answered.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys :D +rep all round. And to Tamisrah, after checking the rules again, you are right, so I won't add any more questions to this thread :) Your hero ideas are amazing :D I would never have thought of using random potion effects to create a hero, sounds like a lot of fun!

@Nenad: Changed the neutral hostile to player 12, sacrificing one player slot, but gaining full creep functionality. Thanks for the advice :)

@vonDarkmoor: Your response was very helpful, and I think I've solved it now thanks to you :)

Question 4 is no longer a problem, or doesn't involve too many units, the freezing problem seems to have something to do with devouring Orc Demolishers... :confused:

Thanks for all the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.