Tutorial Creating a decent hero

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
It's more of an suggestion then an idea :D
And now you're assuming everyone plays Dota based on that brief explanation.

Yeah, it's rather important that all the hero abilities fits together aswell as being good combined.

Some heroes manages to fail with that. Take Faceless Void from Dota for instance. He got Bash, a change to completly ignore incomming damage, a spell simuliar to blink and an Ulti that freezes everyone within an AoE.
Both his bash and ignore damage becomes rather useless alongside with his ulti. Of course it's nice to inflict some extra damage through bash and it's nice to block incomming damage if you missed freezing an other player.
I'm just saying that in theory they don't really pull that off according to me.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
The best way to avoid doing this is to have damage that is multiplied by a certain attribute.

that's one way, but definitely not the best

the best is by giving the abilities as much levels as possible, every level increasing effects slightly

in DotA, heroes can reach lvl 25 and abilities only have 4 levels?
on level 7 your nuke is maxed and you deal 300 damage whole game? that's what makes it imbalanced, strong at early, weak at late

btw sry for mentioning the D word

MagnaGuard

Reaction score
Changed color

Editing when I get home

Sorry for not responding earlier, school started and the teachers and bombing us with work.

black.sheep

Reaction score
Some heroes manages to fail with that. Take Faceless Void from Dota for instance. He got Bash, a change to completly ignore incomming damage, a spell simuliar to blink and an Ulti that freezes everyone within an AoE.
Both his bash and ignore damage becomes rather useless alongside with his ulti. Of course it's nice to inflict some extra damage through bash and it's nice to block incomming damage if you missed freezing an other player.
I'm just saying that in theory they don't really pull that off according to me.
Bash is another intresting ability, I don't see the point in the extra damage, comon, everyone gets it from the all important stun. Evasion, is good too, sorta adds extra health, read this is you dont understand http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=106079
Finally, blinks too, are borderline broken, with being able to dodge millions attacks, they make great escape/chase skills.
And don't get me started on mass AoE holds...

Oh and your image of the bm and keeper is broken

BloodyMary

Reaction score
Int > Early game
Str > Mid game
Agi > Late game

this is wrong i belive it should be

Casters > Early Game (lategame support if they have stuns or miss buffs as well)
Rangers > Mid Game (if they don't have loads of spells because then they in caster section)
Melee > late-game (melee doesn't shine much unless they spam a lot of spells which once again shouldn't be in this section)
Healers > all round (depending on how the heal works they are prob more early game and mid game but are useful all round)

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Totally wrong.

This is how it is:

murlocs - early game ( They look so discusting, that people want to stay away from them for starters, but after some time they get used to it )

all the other noobs - mid game ( This is after everybody has realized that murlocks suck )

gobolts - late game ( They have been digging these tunnels all the early and mid game, so in lategame, they can just pop from underground and ambush your ass )

apes - all the time ( Apes are just imba )

edit. I mean, cmon. You dont really wanna desing your map so, that some heroes are good at some point of the game. Heroes should be good through the game, otherwise people just leave in early game, because they have no patience to wait till their lategame hero can pwn, or they leave in lategame, because their early game hero sucks.

All this talk about early and late game heroes is just pure stupidity.

edit2. In the other hand, you just might wanna do exactly that. Dont know, it really depends too much on whatkind of map you are making. In some maps, early and late game heroes might work pretty neatly. ( It could be like teching and rushing and stuff like that in starcraft )

edit3. The point is that this all works completely different in different maps, so all this stuff is kinda useless.

Executor

I see you
Reaction score
edit. I mean, cmon. You dont really wanna desing your map so, that some heroes are good at some point of the game. Heroes should be good through the game, otherwise people just leave in early game, because they have no patience to wait till their lategame hero can pwn, or they leave in lategame, because their early game hero sucks.

All this talk about early and late game heroes is just pure stupidity.

edit2. In the other hand, you just might wanna do exactly that. Dont know, it really depends too much on whatkind of map you are making. In some maps, early and late game heroes might work pretty neatly. ( It could be like teching and rushing and stuff like that in starcraft )

edit3. The point is that this all works completely different in different maps, so all this stuff is kinda useless.

Agreed!

I think we all experienced those primitive Hero maps with ultra cheap stats tomes, which generated this effect of (int then str then agi) but I think today we are all smart enough to have the possibility to avoid this order.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.