Custom Call Limitation

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
I was going about writing some code for my map and found that there is a limit on how many characters can be in a custom call line. The following is a line of code I started writing, then I added too much text and it forced the world editor to crash. I started debugging it by adding in numbers until I got it to the point of crashing again.

I also tested to make sure it wasn't a limitation on the actual string I was doing, the string has no bearing, it's the actual function call. To verify this instead of increasing the length of the string over the limit I added a boolean condition and then in the function call added in true which caused it to crash.

Something to clarify about the actual crash, it doesn't crash at the saving of the map, when you hit OK to accept the custom code it does that. When you hit accept again however to finalize the trigger the crash occurs.

This is the culprit:
JASS:

call Hero_AddTypeAdvanced('Hpal', "The Paladin is a user of holy light to protect those around him.  The unit's close by him can acquire an armor bonus by being in his presence.12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234", true)

As I said, adding in another character to that string causes it to break. Changing the function name to Hero_AddTypeAdvance2 (one character more) causes it to break. If I change the long string to a global or local variable then pass that into the function, obviously it works since the character count has gone down.

That whole line is 259 characters long, again adding one more brings about the crash at a count of 260. 260 has no particular relevance in mathematical or programming standards.

Anyway, I highly doubt someone else will ever encounter this problem unless you have a REALLY long string input to a custom call. Even if you have a 1000 character long string for a Game Display to Player (via GUI) it will work but custom call, no no.

To the point: Custom Calls over 259 characters cause WE to crash.

Can anyone else test this on their computer to check my results?

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
I've run into the limit, and it just cut off the extra but didn't crash.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
I've had call lines much longer than that without a crash :nuts:.

JASS:
call NewQuest("Hey guys whats goin on", "Icon\\Path", "OMG A DESCRIPTION I CANT BELIEVE IT NO WAY ITS NOT UMPOSSIBLE NOOOOO WAAAAY I CANT EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE HOW MUCH HAPPY I AM NOW. AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe. YEEEEE. YIPPE YEEE. HEHEHEHEHEHEH HAHAHAHAHAHA HOOHHOHOHOHOHOHO HIHIHIHIHIHIHI HUHUHUHUHUHUH. Eh?", false)

And yet, that worked for me? :confused:

Immolation

Reaction score
I've had call lines much longer than that without a crash :nuts:.

JASS:
call NewQuest("Hey guys whats goin on", "Icon\\Path", "OMG A DESCRIPTION I CANT BELIEVE IT NO WAY ITS NOT UMPOSSIBLE NOOOOO WAAAAY I CANT EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE HOW MUCH HAPPY I AM NOW. AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe. YEEEEE. YIPPE YEEE. HEHEHEHEHEHEH HAHAHAHAHAHA HOOHHOHOHOHOHOHO HIHIHIHIHIHIHI HUHUHUHUHUHUH. Eh?", false)

And yet, that worked for me? :confused:

I lol'd :p

BTW, it crashes for me too.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Steel uses vJass, last I checked...

quraji

zap
Reaction score
Steel uses vJass, last I checked...

It looks (and sounds) like he's writing example/test code in GUI for his rpg system, using Custom Script.

Anyways, I tested it with an unknown length (just typed a ton of characters into the custom script box) and it did indeed crash. Must be something wrong with the dialog to create the script (possibly the internal variable to hold the script isn't big enough, or whatever).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.