Death Spells

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
How do I create spells that activate upon death? Like reincarnation just... without the reincarnation:p

SouLEDGE

Reaction score
Sounds inviting, still don't see how the heck you will trigger the spell from the OoL effect

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
Hmm..
I have no idea ._.
Sorry >.<

But if no one else suggests anything, you'd have to do it some ugly way like,
Unit dies
Is Some integer > 0 ?
Activate spell
Create Timer
Set integer to 0

Timer expires
Set integer to 1

SouLEDGE

Reaction score
Yeah, I just don't think a unit can use an ability if he's dead 0_o

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
I assume it's a instant ability:

detect if the unit takes a killing blow then make him resist damage taken (something like Dazzle's Shallow Grave from DotA) and order him to cast the spell

during this state the unit must not be selectable and should be invulnerable

make the spell's cast animation "death", so it will look like the unit is actually dying

after he finishes casting it, kill the bastard :p (hope this wont make him play death animation twice xd)

I can't see any other solution on this one... not sure how you're going to do this if the ability is passive

SouLEDGE

Reaction score
Well, if it's an instant ability, the hero would be able to use it right? -> problem
Would look funny tho...
Hmm, there must be a way around this... I could always make it like a suicidal spell? The idea for the spell is the hero dies and heals his allies of some damage and damages enemies a bit.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
It's possible to make a cooldown on death, but the method depends on what effect you want the spell to have. So please, tell us what you are trying to create before asking for help to create it.

SouLEDGE

Reaction score
The idea for the spell is the hero dies and heals his allies of some damage and damages enemies a bit.

I just need it to make sure the unit has enough mana and that the cooldown fires, I can do the rest with triggers

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
You have still yet to answer my question. It's a little difficult helping you without knowing what to help you with.

BarzahdX

Reaction score
I don't know how to sense if an ability is on cooldown or not via triggers. The mana would be simple to sense. Personally I would use damage detection, if the damage is greater than his life, and mana greater or equal to a given number, add 2 "Explode-on-death" abilities, one that will heal allies and one that will damage enemies. Causing the cooldown would be easy enough, but checking to see if it's active or not--personally I would use a trigger timer and a wait command. I can make it for you if you don't understand what I mean.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
With a damage detection system, you could detect a killing blow and replace the passive ability with Berserk and order the unit to use Berserk, then create a timer equal to the cooldown and re-add the ability when the timer (the cooldown) is complete. Since the damage event happens before the damage is taken and the engine is linear, it should work.

Berserk is the best option here because it's instant and doesn't interrupt whichever action the unit is doing. If you make the icons and tooltips identical, the player won't be able to tell the difference. For a hero, you should make the learned hero skill a dummy ability (like item armor bonus with no effect) and add/remove normal unit abilities so that it doesn't mess with your skill point system.

If you have other damage event triggers which could possibly heal the unit before the killing blow, you should run a 0.00 seconds timer and check if the unit is really dead before applying the effect (though you would still need to apply the cooldown before the damage event, which you can just reverse). A 0.00 seconds timer will place the next trigger after the damage is taken, and therefore allowing you to check if the unit actually was killed without interference from other damage event triggers.

Don't add abilities to the unit in order to cause damage and heal. Just do that with triggers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.