Dialog Button Hotkey

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
You have to do a trigger that fires on keyboard key press and fire the according trigger associated with the button.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Looking at the available actions for dialogs, there is nothing for hotkeys that I see.

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
I'm afraid Sevion is right. Make a trigger with that event and run the same trigger as when the button is pressed manually, but then ignoring conditions (as you probably have a dialogitem condition). There simply doesn't seem another way.

Im_On_56k

Hm...
Reaction score
Yea that workaround is something I don't want to do. I am just trying to avoid events that state "only register for this event when you absolutely need it". I could of swore wc3 had a specific dialog function that allowed you to assign a hotkey, but I could be wrong.

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
I can't remember wc3 had one o.o

Oh well, if you use a hotkey which is rarely used, I guess it's do-able. Of course an event like "on left mouse click" is a bad idea to use, but something like F1 or something should work out perfectly.
Besides, I don't think the hotkey registers if you are typing (in case you use characters like QWERTY...)

Arkless

Reaction score
Yea that workaround is something I don't want to do. I am just trying to avoid events that state "only register for this event when you absolutely need it". I could of swore wc3 had a specific dialog function that allowed you to assign a hotkey, but I could be wrong.

Well, in wc3 you could only have 1 dialog visible at a time :p and allowing you to use a hotkey whenever you want is a better option then just allowing it while you see a dialog.

And for the "registor only when you absolutely need it"... Do what they say, disable the trigger as long as you don't see the dialog (instead of using a condition to catch that).

Arkless

Reaction score
Well with what I am doing it would have to always enabled.
That sounds like you only want 1 trigger at most per key, so that should be totally ok. I thought you wanted to use multiple hokeys per key for different dialogs :p

You simply aren't supposed to spam that event, like creating 10 different triggers with the same hotkey (note that creating events for different keys makes no difference, since they normally won't be pressed at the same time), because they all fire a net traffic event.

Im_On_56k

Hm...
Reaction score
That sounds like you only want 1 trigger at most per key, so that should be totally ok. I thought you wanted to use multiple hokeys per key for different dialogs :p

You simply aren't supposed to spam that event, like creating 10 different triggers with the same hotkey (note that creating events for different keys makes no difference, since they normally won't be pressed at the same time), because they all fire a net traffic event.
The event states it fires from every key pressed. Not just the one you assign it to. So if several kids in your game decide to faceroll when there are several game heavy moments happening it would generate some unwanted and uneeded lag. I would be assigning several hotkeys for several dialogs too. Not sure what you are trying to say here. In the end I will be avoiding this event.

Arkless

Reaction score
The event states it fires from every key pressed. Not just the one you assign it to. So if several kids in your game decide to faceroll when there are several game heavy moments happening it would generate some unwanted and uneeded lag. I would be assigning several hotkeys for several dialogs too. Not sure what you are trying to say here. In the end I will be avoiding this event.

Reading the english description of what the event does that might even be true. But if it's that way, you could just use "any" key and use a switch action to get the right action for it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.